Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter Question

It appears that the prior owner scraped up the Cats on my car, and it's "tweaked" a little. I think this because no matter what I do, I can't get my muffler tips to line up correctly, and the cats have scratches on them from road rash of some sort. The driver's side tip sticks out an half inch further or more than the passenger's.

Should I try to buy a set of used cats from someone (low mileage), or just replace them? My car is bone stock, so I'm not sure that "upgrading" to a race cat is a worthwhile endeavor in this case.

Thoughts?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several joints to adjust the tips, have you used them all? Most of our cats have been scraped at one time or another. They are quite sturdy and a few scratches don't necessarily indicate fatal damage.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
There are several joints to adjust the tips, have you used them all? Most of our cats have been scraped at one time or another. They are quite sturdy and a few scratches don't necessarily indicate fatal damage.
Maybe I'll stick it on the lift and loosen everything up and try from there. I was doing this on the floor in my garage at home, and made the assumption based on what I was seeing.

Thanks, I'll give it another shot!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can take an act of congress to get everything all lined up so that the tips are even, but it can usually be accomplished iif you can get it up in the air.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
It can take an act of congress to get everything all lined up so that the tips are even, but it can usually be accomplished iif you can get it up in the air.
I think I need to do that anyway...I'm getting a whiff of burning oil when I turn the car off anyway I thought I had all of these things straightened out!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My RHS tip was not even either, and the cat is scratched up. But with patience I got mine all lined up again. I got my son to hold it in place when it was lined up.
I found that every time I tried to tighten it by myself it would move.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993MAN
My RHS tip was not even either, and the cat is scratched up. But with patience I got mine all lined up again. I got my son to hold it in place when it was lined up.
I found that every time I tried to tighten it by myself it would move.
Sounds like a plan... my genetic experiments of growing a third hand have been woefully inadequate to this point

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Question