Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF...RUF...giving the Big Dog more Bite

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009 | 10:29 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Default RUF...RUF...giving the Big Dog more Bite

So, I have had the pleasure of working on two really nice cars, recently. The big purple dinosaur TT, BARNEY, who I unfortunately had to work on remotely, since he lives all the way across the US from me, and Kevin's beautiful Turbo R RUF. Mike (Barney), your new muffs are heading your way, hang in there Buddy!
Now, onto the RUF........It arrived at the shop on Friday, in a nice rain storm. Great to see Kevin was not afraid to drive that gorgeous beast in a little wet weather. I am simply awestruck by the beauty of this car! Simply one of the best looking Porsches I have ever seen. Kevin is one hell of a nice guy as well, but back to the car......
After a quick towel dry, Kevin and I discuss the exhaust note (or lack of) that this amazing car has, he leaves me the keys, and heads off. Taking the mufflers off was a little trickier than usual, with the custom center exaust , but MarkD and I had no problem wrestling the cans out from under that sweet guards red bodywork.
I reworked the mufflers a bit, and , well...I'll let the video say the rest.......
but, I do have to say, "If I don't own a car like this before I die, my life will have been a total waste"...(except for my kids, my wife, my friends, my work.......ok, maybe not a total waste .)
Alright, maybe it's just because it's Valentines day, but, I fell in love with the Big Red Dog that had a sleep over at the shop! Thanks, Kevin....you ruined me for all others

Click here-Before/After RUF Turbo R
Old 02-14-2009 | 10:51 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Darin,

The mufflers sound so good!!! I can’t tell you how excited I am. Best mod by far for the $$$...period!

Such a great note all the way up to WOT. Not sure if it’s the cams or what, but it rocks!!

The video makes the car sound louder than it really is given it’s inside your garage, but the stock mufflers were sooooooo quiet. I couldn’t hear anything inside the cabin and even directly behind the car, all I could hear was engine whine.

The new mufflers are more aggressive, but still much quieter than muffler bypasses, especially when warm. I drove the whole way home with the windows down. Subtle difference inside the cabin, but an aggressive growl from behind. I love it!

Thanks to you and Mark for the work. I’d recommend this mod to anyone and definitely gives the RUF the bark it needed to go along with its bite!

Kevin
Old 02-15-2009 | 12:48 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Sounds mean!
Old 02-15-2009 | 02:06 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Kevin...It sounds great!!...mine are on a UPS truck on the way to me...I can't wait !!
Old 02-15-2009 | 03:25 AM
niche
Drifting

Very nice! Kevin, I didn't realize you did the center exhaust! Very cool, sounds great too!
Old 02-15-2009 | 09:16 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
Sounds great.

Would love the hear it on the road and at WOT.
Old 02-15-2009 | 11:56 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Your car sounded great before. Sounds much better after, its tough to improve upon perfection, but i guess it is possible. Curious what exhaust were you running prior to the mod?
Old 02-15-2009 | 01:05 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

He has the Fabspeed mufflers...like mine..Fister-D just shipped mine back..I can't wait..
Old 02-15-2009 | 01:26 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barney1
He has the Fabspeed mufflers...like mine..Fister-D just shipped mine back..I can't wait..
Yep. Fabspeed cans. Darin did an awesome job.

Mike, you're going to love 'em!!! Not too loud, but just aggressive enough.
Old 02-15-2009 | 01:28 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by niche
Very nice! Kevin, I didn't realize you did the center exhaust! Very cool, sounds great too!

Thanks Javier. Take a wild guess which car provided the inspiration!
Old 02-15-2009 | 01:28 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

funny i just switched from stock cans to fabspeeds and am very happy with them. I might follow your lead in the future though
Old 02-15-2009 | 05:46 PM
niche
Drifting

Thanks Javier. Take a wild guess which car provided the inspiration!
Ha, thanks! You know, I do get a kick out of knowing mine is the only Turbo R to come out of RUF with a factory center exhaust!
Old 02-15-2009 | 06:45 PM
toddturbos
Racer

Kevin

I didn't think it was possible to improve your RUF, boy was I wrong, that sounds amazing. Can't wait to go on another run and hear it it live....
Old 02-15-2009 | 11:08 PM
papadukes8
Racer

sounds great.
Old 02-16-2009 | 03:49 AM
nicu
Racer

Originally Posted by niche
Ha, thanks! You know, I do get a kick out of knowing mine is the only Turbo R to come out of RUF with a factory center exhaust!
Hi Niche,
does your's sounds like the before vid ?

Quick Reply: RUF...RUF...giving the Big Dog more Bite