Sponsored by:

smog test ? in So. Cal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 PM
aperalta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog test ? in So. Cal.

Time to get the Pcar smogged for registration and I have a question regarding the sniffer part of the test. To my recollection when the shop measures the emissions from the tail pipe they place the car on rollers to engage the transmission and run the car to a certain rpm for a designated time. Since we have AWD do we need a shop with rollers for the front and back? I would hate to cause wear and tear on that viscous coupler. Anyone have a reputable shop in the O.C. to use? Thanks guys--Aaron
Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The AWD 993 models should get a pass from the rollers. They simply can't do it properly, and when they look it up, the book will also confirm that. Do not let them put your TT on rollers... it will wreck the VC.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Don't allow a shop to put the car on the dyno. The test can be performed without the dyno load. They wil run it at idle and 2500 rpm with the sniffer.

Before they do that they plug into the OBD port and check to see if it throws any flags. The system is linked to Sacramento so once its hooked up they know who you are. If your battery has been disconected drive your car at least 50 miles in traffic so the ecu will store enough codes to show ready on the shops computer.
Call several smog stations to verify if they've done porsches, AND if their computer is on line. Good luck and let us know if you had any problems.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Steve and Jimmy already said, no rollers, they do an idle test and rev engine to around 2500rpms, check for codes... even if your car is a soon to be wrecked 2WD conversion, you still get a pass on the rollers

a drive of 50 mile or 500 miles will not (unless you let an elderly relative drive) set all of the readiness codes.

It requires a painfully low RPM "drive cycle"... search the 993 forum for "readiness drive cycle" if you need that info.
Other than that I have never had a problem and I had to go to a "test only" station for the test this past week. No sweat and I'm not even sure if the guy could spell Porsche.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=MarkD;6213211]. even if your car is a soon to be wrecked 2WD conversion, you still get a pass on the rollers
Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JJayB;6213474]
Originally Posted by MarkD
. even if your car is a soon to be wrecked 2WD conversion, you still get a pass on the rollers
yeah... I joke and it's funny now but honestly, even with stock HP, I wonder what fast sweepers will be like...
Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

You not only have to set the readiness flags, but you have to complete two drive cycles of the same <3K rpm granny driving -- its not particularly easy to do, some get lucky, some dont.
I drove my car over a thousand miles, not one flag (of 6 needed) were set.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=MarkD;6213517]
Originally Posted by JJayB

yeah... I joke and it's funny now but honestly, even with stock HP, I wonder what fast sweepers will be like...
I think ViperBob managed to get some 335's on the back. That'll help.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:48 AM
aperalta
Instructor

Thanks for the info. gents.

Quick Reply: smog test ? in So. Cal.