Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

2WD vs AWD poll?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fredcalero
Has anyone done a poll to see how many 993tt are now 2WD? I'm thinking about going 2WD myself and was wondering how many have made this mod.

All my search leads me to believe that those who have done it love it!
Except those who done it and scared the crap out of themself and put the AWD back in.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:30 AM
raymondgo
Intermediate

Right now AWD but i like to become 2wd where can i get this conversion kit with manual instruction
Thank You
Good Day
Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AWD and stock horsepower, but craving a little something more...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awd does not belong in a true driver's car imo. If I had a TT the first mod I would make would be 2wd.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcar964
awd does not belong in a true driver's car imo. If I had a TT the first mod I would make would be 2wd.
This was heavily debated several years ago on this forum.
The reason porsche went to AWD was to improve handling.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick DeMan (http://demanmotorsport.com) actually added AWD to one of his own high-hp race cars for handling reasons, and because he believed it helped put the power down better.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

This was heavily debated several years ago on this forum.
Not to mention the AWD v 2WD Willowsprings head to head between The Felon and ViperBob that I brokered. (Loser to buy me a beer.)

Hey, that reminds me. I got stiffed on the beer....
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Handles better? Handling is different than traction lets not get the two confused

Keeps avg porsche owners safe? Yes. Handle better? Don't see how all the push and sloppy turn in is considered handling "better". For those with street driven cars with big power and street tires then I can understand but if its on the track with sticky tires and a good lsd its no comparison. This is my humble opinion after driving both setups in those conditions. Alot of this is driver based as well, some drivers need the awd more than others (not that its a bad thing) but it is factor. Not saying that better drivers have 2wd though

For the most part its a case by case basis. How do you use the car, how much power you putting down, other mods, etc. Much like choosing between a blond or brunette it's whatever floats your boat

The VC system isn't all that great anyway especially when compared with something like a torsen based system. VC does help with traction for sure but acceleration during turn out does not pull the front of the car as much as other systems which is arguably where people consider the real benefit of awd in the handling department.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
Handles better? Handling is different than traction lets not get the two confused

Keeps avg porsche owners safe? Yes. Handle better? Don't see how all the push and sloppy turn in is considered handling "better". For those with street driven cars with big power and street tires then I can understand but if its on the track with sticky tires and a good lsd its no comparison. This is my humble opinion after driving both setups in those conditions. Alot of this is driver based as well, some drivers need the awd more than others (not that its a bad thing) but it is factor. Not saying that better drivers have 2wd though

For the most part its a case by case basis. How do you use the car, how much power you putting down, other mods, etc. Much like choosing between a blond or brunette it's whatever floats your boat

The VC system isn't all that great anyway especially when compared with something like a torsen based system. VC does help with traction for sure but acceleration during turn out does not pull the front of the car as much as other systems which is arguably where people consider the real benefit of awd in the handling department.
+1
and the VC "grabs" inconsistently in my experience, likely due to varying gear oil temps.

Honestly, I'd need to have a lot more seat time before adding HP to mine with 2WD... then again, that is why God made Spring/Summer, right?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Garen
Instructor

Come on Fred. You KNOW you wanna go 2WD. Just ask Rick!!

-Garen
Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Everyone may not like this answer, but for the mean time I have the best of both
worlds, one 2WD GT2 and my street 4WD 993TT...
That is until I get the nerve to sell the stock TT.
In my past experiences at speed the 4WD car responds with far to twitchy and unsettled a feeling,where the two wheeled examples have been rock solid far into
and exceeding illegal triple digit speeds.
If this car handles anywhere near as well as my past 964 3.6T I'll be more than pleased, thanks Bert
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spartan

Spartan
When the *** end hits the wall first is it lack or grip or poor handling? Like I said this was debated infinitem. Push the RWD 400-500 lbs ft of torque and you become religious. I can see wanting to lighten up the car and thats an easy 125 lbs.

SCCA outlawed AWD in the 80's when Hans Stuck showed up in an Audi quatro which was basiclly a caged street car and desimated all the RWD cars. One reason you don't see many AWD is they are prohibited from most series or run with weight penalites.

Perennial Pikes Peak champ Jeff Zwart has proven the AWD in the 993tt was superior to the GT2 RWD and the 996tt which had a different VC.
Good luck to all you RWD's out there.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with grip. When the rear end becomes light enough to have a mind of its own its due to the traction and due to one tire spinning faster than the other. If the rear lsd truely is 50/50 on distribution then the rear will tend to just lift up and not wander in that situation (give you are going straight). Again a street car with street tires and lots of power the awd will help the owner have control in the same situation. Its varies so much by each car and driver that its more of a preference, whatever floats your boat

I do think no matter what the 2wd drivers MUST have a really really really good LSD in the car. My car with a stock rear diff would probably be down right dangerous with street tires

Originally Posted by JJayB
Spartan
When the *** end hits the wall first is it lack or grip or poor handling? Like I said this was debated infinitem. Push the RWD 400-500 lbs ft of torque and you become religious. I can see wanting to lighten up the car and thats an easy 125 lbs.

SCCA outlawed AWD in the 80's when Hans Stuck showed up in an Audi quatro which was basiclly a caged street car and desimated all the RWD cars. One reason you don't see many AWD is they are prohibited from most series or run with weight penalites.

Perennial Pikes Peak champ Jeff Zwart has proven the AWD in the 993tt was superior to the GT2 RWD and the 996tt which had a different VC.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
Spartan

If the rules allowed, I wonder if F1 would be AWD (or six- or eight- wheel drive as they were headed in the 80's for a brief moment.)

If a 911 goes into the scenery, it's most likely driver error and not necessarily something that the simple AWD can recover. Stability management (such as on my Prius) can recover all kinds of stupidity, but AWD can do only so much. It might be the road conditions or a mechanical failure or bird strike, but let's ignore everything like oil and put it under the heading of "it happens." If a 911 crashes without involving another car, it's the driver, not the car. Yes, this will be debated ad infinitum but, that's the joy of Web forums. Such as it is. And yes, AWD rally cars decimated the 2WD cars, but that's hardly relevant -- and by the time the 959 passed on some genes to the 964 and on to the 993, not much was left of the Paris Dakar cars.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by budge96
Everyone may not like this answer, but for the mean time I have the best of both
worlds, one 2WD GT2 and my street 4WD 993TT...
That is until I get the nerve to sell the stock TT.
In my past experiences at speed the 4WD car responds with far to twitchy and unsettled a feeling,where the two wheeled examples have been rock solid far into
and exceeding illegal triple digit speeds.
If this car handles anywhere near as well as my past 964 3.6T I'll be more than pleased, thanks Bert
With a healthy viscous coupling and the various suspension upgrades from the factory racing parts bin (uprights, control arms, bushings) the 993 Turbo, especially in GT2 configuration doesn't give the 964 3.6 Turbo a chance.

And I don't dislike hearing someone say their sports car is 993 GT2 and their daily driver is the 993 Turbo, other than to dislike the fact those words are not (yet) coming from my lips. But as the GT3 spends more and more dusty days in the garage and the 993 Turbo (in 2WD) ventures out, I keep thinking about putting the kids seats in the back (again) and making it my "dad" car. They do love the 0-60 runs up the on-ramp to the freeway. : ) Maybe I need to find another 993 Turbo and keep it in AWD as my daily driver and then go the whole hog on the existing car. Oh, to dream. : )

Quick Reply: 2WD vs AWD poll?