Sponsored by:

2WD conversion, solution for front trans mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2WD conversion, solution for front trans mount

I recently pulled the AWD components out of my 993tt. I love the steering feel and with stock HP, find it very driveable... at least so far.

One issue I noticed was a considerably sloppy feel at the front of the trans and when accelerating hard in first, a very messy wheel hop.

I know some have decided to convert the trans nose to a C2 version so they could use the conventional C2 mounts. I assume this is what the GT2 is set up with? Anyhow, I wanted to keep this somewhat reversible, though I cannot imagine why I'd ever go back...

Darin Fister (FisterD) and I (well, mostly all Darin) fabricated a mount that utilizes existing bolts and holes. It provides lateral stability and seriously improves the feel under WOT acceleration and even normal driving. It is not a solid mount and has dampening to minimize noise/vibration in the cabin.
The drive train feels much more solid than before. Feels fantastic!

We are still in the testing phase so I will have some pics soon.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post! I've been wondering the same myself if you could fit the C2 nose cap

Please post pics when you have a chance. I just pulled the engine and tranny this weekend so now is the time to do these mods
Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
Great post! I've been wondering the same myself if you could fit the C2 nose cap

Please post pics when you have a chance. I just pulled the engine and tranny this weekend so now is the time to do these mods
As I understand it, you can fit a C2 nose piece but you need to cut the trans shaft to fit it. I really didn't want to do that so we came up with as alternative.
I will get pics as soon as we get it finalized. Might be a week or so.

Can't wait to see your project completed
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
As I understand it, you can fit a C2 nose piece but you need to cut the trans shaft to fit it. I really didn't want to do that so we came up with as alternative.
I will get pics as soon as we get it finalized. Might be a week or so.

Can't wait to see your project completed
Sorry for the Noob question, but why would you want to convert to 2WD? Why not just buy a much cheaper C2S and supercharge it for the extra hp?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Sorry for the Noob question, but why would you want to convert to 2WD? Why not just buy a much cheaper C2S and supercharge it for the extra hp?
C2S = $40-$50K (getting a bit lower these days...)
Supercharger = I dunno, at least $10K w/o intercooler? and you still end up with less HP than a stock twin turbo.

Why not just buy a turbo and remove the AWD?

Seriously, I know some put boost to NA engines with 11:1 comp but I have concerns with doing it. I am sure it is all worked out and just fine with the right stuff.

So, why convert to 2WD?
Steering feel is much better, in my opinion. I love it.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

After driving both (2wd & awd) on the street and on the track I would never ever go back to awd. 2wd turns this car into an entire beast all together

MarkD I look forward to those pics!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Not that I wouldn't want to try it, but I cannot imagine driving my car with 2WD. It breaks loose now with AWD ... and what a rush that is!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pjconner
Not that I wouldn't want to try it, but I cannot imagine driving my car with 2WD. It breaks loose now with AWD ... and what a rush that is!
What rear diff do you have? Put a Guard 50/80 LSD in there
Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Darin Fister (FisterD) and I (well, mostly all Darin) fabricated a mount that utilizes existing bolts and holes. It provides lateral stability and seriously improves the feel under WOT acceleration and even normal driving. It is not a solid mount and has dampening to minimize noise/vibration in the cabin.
The drive train feels much more solid than before. Feels fantastic!
Nice work! I've been thinking about doing something similar so I would love to see pictures and/or drawings of what you guys built.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

will have pics soon... extended testing phase is this week.

FisterD will be making these for others also.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What rear diff do you have? Put a Guard 50/80 LSD in there
I hate to admit it, but I don't know. Ruf Germany did a lot of stuff when they converted the car. I know that the transmission was regeared, but I don't remember the diff info. I will get the paperwork and have Hans translate it from German to English (again).
Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pjconner
I hate to admit it, but I don't know. Ruf Germany did a lot of stuff when they converted the car. I know that the transmission was regeared, but I don't remember the diff info. I will get the paperwork and have Hans translate it from German to English (again).
The rear diff is sooooo important to the traction on these cars. When you break traction and one rear wheel spins faster than the other the rear end wants to go all over the place. A really strong diff keeps them both spinning together and the when you lose traction the rear end just seems to lift up but it stays in a straight line (if your going straight). It will also help with braking stabilization
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

agreed w/ spartan, all the weight is in the back of this car...its exactly where you need the most reliable traction and that exactly what that guard unit will provide.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wagongotya
agreed w/ spartan, all the weight is in the back of this car...its exactly where you need the most reliable traction and that exactly what that guard unit will provide.
I'm so happy your here now Matt
Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm so happy your here now Matt
Ha! It's nice to finally have a reason to come here

Quick Reply: 2WD conversion, solution for front trans mount