Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Rebuilt RS tuning K24 540PS turbochargers

I have received a set of RS Tuning hybrid K24's that I have rebuilt with a few extras.

These units are the same units that were on Toby's car prior to his current set. These would be a mirror image of the set that I did for Martin's MOD500 car.

Options, with these units are new guts, including new updated bearing housings, billet backplates and zero clearanced.

PM or email me if interested.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I know Kevin likes to contrast with most of his competitors and be accurate with any power claim statements but these units hw is selling are actually capable of up to ~650hp and were/are used extensively in race GT2s in Europe.

To get the 650hp to be real Porsche race stuff does require big Secan EVO intercooler and other stuff but I could imagine an adventurous "fixed boost jockey" getting a dyno proven 600+hp out of these bad boys

Last edited by TB993tt; 12-12-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Out of curiosity, is there any difference between a K24/26 RS Tuning from other BW K24/26, be it FVD or any other similar unit?

Especially if it has been refreshed by UMW with internals, bearings, backplates and "zero clearanced" now, what would be the RS Tuning part in them?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Toby for the correction.

Originally the turbochargers started as "stock" K24's. Some tuners had access to proto-type KKK castings that existed prior to the Borg Warner purchase. To my knowledge there have been 4 different 993TT compressor housing castings. Some are more "rare" than others. (on a side note, the 996TT castings have been standardized and only one casting has been used) Most tuners started with new K24's and then tore them apart and machined in larger compressor wheels. When you install a larger compressor wheel you have to increase the diameter or footprint of the backplate. This creates a signature of the build, a finger print that I look at. In many cases the turbo builder will write initials and date behind the compressor wheel or on the backplate. It is the way that RS Tuning does there machine work that sets them apart from lets say a RUF build. Please also realize that if one ordered a FVD K24 Race or "X" turbocharger based off of a K24, the components that you would receive TODAY would be closer to the 996GT2 K24 than the 993TT K24 450HP kit 10 years ago. This is due to the redesign of castings and upgrade of the bearing housing and turbine wheel.

If you laid out Sportec's, FVD, RUF and RS Tuning turbochargers without looking at the label you could pinpoint who did the work. One can dig a little deeper and find out "hey" the guy at Sportec is building "X" tuners turbochargers (one of the companies above).

There is a distinct difference between RS Tunings and FVD turbochargers. Components will vary and assy proceedure such as balancing vary between tuners.

To answer what is the parts with a RS Tuning turbocharger when I get done with it. All the parts that originally came with the turbocharger are with the unit. Turbine housings, compressor housings, components that are wear items like the turbine wheel that has failed, and even bearing housings get replaced with new old stock that I have. I will insert my cnc'd billet backplate and thrust/bearing components with the new build. If the owner wants the old backplates I'll return them. The zero clearanced process and CNC'd work to the original compressor housings will be added.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Thanks Toby for the correction.

Originally the turbochargers started as "stock" K24's. Some tuners had access to proto-type KKK castings that existed prior to the Borg Warner purchase. To my knowledge there have been 4 different 993TT compressor housing castings. Some are more "rare" than others. (on a side note, the 996TT castings have been standardized and only one casting has been used) Most tuners started with new K24's and then tore them apart and machined in larger compressor wheels. When you install a larger compressor wheel you have to increase the diameter or footprint of the backplate. This creates a signature of the build, a finger print that I look at. In many cases the turbo builder will write initials and date behind the compressor wheel or on the backplate. It is the way that RS Tuning does there machine work that sets them apart from lets say a RUF build. Please also realize that if one ordered a FVD K24 Race or "X" turbocharger based off of a K24, the components that you would receive TODAY would be closer to the 996GT2 K24 than the 993TT K24 450HP kit 10 years ago. This is due to the redesign of castings and upgrade of the bearing housing and turbine wheel.

If you laid out Sportec's, FVD, RUF and RS Tuning turbochargers without looking at the label you could pinpoint who did the work. One can dig a little deeper and find out "hey" the guy at Sportec is building "X" tuners turbochargers (one of the companies above).

There is a distinct difference between RS Tunings and FVD turbochargers. Components will vary and assy proceedure such as balancing vary between tuners.

To answer what is the parts with a RS Tuning turbocharger when I get done with it. All the parts that originally came with the turbocharger are with the unit. Turbine housings, compressor housings, components that are wear items like the turbine wheel that has failed, and even bearing housings get replaced with new old stock that I have. I will insert my cnc'd billet backplate and thrust/bearing components with the new build. If the owner wants the old backplates I'll return them. The zero clearanced process and CNC'd work to the original compressor housings will be added.
Most informative post on tuners KKKs ever - thanks

I have edited my post above since the CG 24/26 I listed are probably NOT the same as the K24RS - as highlighted by Kevin above.....
Old 12-12-2008, 02:05 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are these turbo's are only really good for an engine that has stronger rods, head sealing, twin plug etc?

Off topic a little but what power level is the absolute max for a stock engine, provided you have free flowing cats, the right fueling and a good map?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:12 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBL930
So are these turbo's are only really good for an engine that has stronger rods, head sealing, twin plug etc?
No, they use these on the 490 engine without cams IIRC
Off topic a little but what power level is the absolute max for a stock engine, provided you have free flowing cats, the right fueling and a good map?
Without head sealing 520PS/680NM ish is as high as you can realistically go. The boost at peak torque ~1.1ish bar any higher will make the heads leak, this apparently was a fairly common problem with Ruf Turbo R 490s.....
Old 12-12-2008, 02:26 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Cheers Toby

Kevin, how much are they for the pair?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Toby, RUF did not use this turbochargers for the Turbo R 490 kit.. Completely different, but that's another story. I have seen the cylinder head damage that they turbochargers can inflict when you start to get the liner to head movement. A few years ago Toby posted pictures of the damage done to his rods.

JBL, email me..
Old 12-12-2008, 03:52 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toby, RUF did not use this turbochargers for the Turbo R 490 kit.. Completely different, but that's another story.
I know that, but was John asking specifically about max power using the K24RS ? I thought his was a general question and I was just pointing out the limit of the head sealing is actually quite low, evidenced by the Ruf K16 based blowers running 1.1bar at max power (6xxxrpm) and lots of leakage

I have seen the cylinder head damage that they turbochargers can inflict when you start to get the liner to head movement. A few years ago Toby posted pictures of the damage done to his rods.

JBL, email me..
Its the boost that is causing these probs isn't it ? I guess the beauty of these K24RS units is that they can produce the power at low boost - my 522PS engine produced its max hp with these blowers at 0.95bar which is head seal friendly (as long as the max torque in the mid range does not stray over the ~1.1 bar mark)
Old 12-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Stummel
Pro

RS-tuning also has a ~ 490 hp kit, I guess that is what TB referenced in his first statement. Long time ago RS they told me that these would be modified stock K16 but that the Kit would blow away the 450 hp Porsche OEM kit in any situation.

Toby, RUF did not use this turbochargers for the Turbo R 490 kit.. Completely different, but that's another story.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My personal opinion is that the requested torque during peak power has a direct correlation to timing and boost. Producing boost early and low in the RPM range and being careful to limit boost thru peak torque. Once past this range one can apply more boost and dial in more timing.

For a 10 year old stock engine, I think that 500 to 520HP is the maximum safe output. Welding the cylinder heads and CNC'ing flame rings with proper head studs/torque is required for higher output.

Stummel my reply was to Toby's mention of the Ruf turbochargers.

this apparently was a fairly common problem with Ruf Turbo R 490s.....
RS-tuning also has a ~ 490 hp kit
K16 hybrids were used in this kit.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Kevin.

I thought there was only one K24 housing for the Porsche 993 (5324907003/4), others were for the alfa Romeo 90 etc.. Audi TD, RS2, Quattro, etc..or Diesel truck applications such as the Iveco 3.9l.

I am sure everyone uses nowadays the more efficient ones, 10-15 year old technology is a thing from the past for sure.

As to tuners and builders, very few are those who build their own, unlike yourself, I don't think RS Tuning do either, or Sportec or RUF, they use the KKK engineers and their affiliates or specialized shops, and work on the specs together to a certain extent. I know in fact one of the builders for Sportec's turbos for their high performance engines who is in Switzerland as well.

Thanks for the info, very useful.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:12 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin: Are the RS units any diffrent than the units you sell with you staged kits?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
V
Rennlist Member

I thought that the cams are the limiting factor here. I mean I've seen many guru's stating that it's impossible to exceed 500hp with the standard cams.. I am probably wrong though..

Toby, tried to send you a PM, you inbox is full

V

Quick Reply: Rebuilt RS tuning K24 540PS turbochargers