New to the Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default New to the Group

Hi Gang,
Just thought I'd drop a note to introduce myself, as I'm new to Rennlist and to 993TT's. I just purchased a 1997 Guards Red / Black car. I don't have it yet, it's in transit to me, but will post pics when I do. We're pretty well into winter here in Ohio, so I won't get the opportunity to drive the car much, but I will get a chance to tinker with it.

So, here's what I'm wondering. I have access to a garage with a lift and about every imaginable tool and consider myself a B to a B- minus mechanic. Based on the PPI, the car needs trunk shocks and new rear tires (no big deal). However, the car didn't have the greatest records in the world.

So, what things should I do while I have some downtime this winter? The car has 34k miles on it, and leak down tests were all acceptable. Apart from just changing all of the oils (motor, transaxles, etc), is there anything else I should do? I'm not a huge fan of non-OEM modifications, so about the only performance mods I'd consider is the 450hp option and suspension mods.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome aboard!!!

Man, i wish i had access to a lift.. If you really want our opinion, post the PPI result and of course lots of pictures...

I started with Fabspeed bypass.. some say its too loud but i thinks it's perfect and a lot lighter..

Enjoy!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Scott!

I find with all my cars that once I get it on jacks and start cleaning up things etc that items just sort of *appear* that require some tinkering

No matter how good a ppi is you will always find a few things to fix/upgrade when the car is in your hands. How are the spark plugs? Fuel filter etc? If you get really bored you can bet your stock lsd is tired and or shot and you could replace the clutch packs

Thats just a few suggestions from me. Again welcome and post up some pictures of your car when it comes in!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 249 Posts

Pictures or Ban!

Welcome to the group.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... I'm not a huge fan of non-OEM modifications, so about the only performance mods I'd consider is the 450hp option ...
First, welcome to the nuthouse. Now ... if by "the 450hp option" you mean the Porsche Motorsports kit, you might want to do a search of that first. That's been the subject of more than one thread here.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:42 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Welcome! If you like a fairly stock car. RUN AWAY NOW! Don't look back! Seriously some of us have to attend Modaholics Anonymous.
For the trunk shocks, go get a very long skinny screw driver and you'll have that knocked out in about 20 minutes. The rear shocks required me to sacrifice skin.
You guys in the snow belt should have detailed your exhaust bolts by the end of winter!
Let's see a list of things:
Breeze constant torque clamps
New diverter valves
Brake lines and brake fluid
Plugs
Wires
DME relay
Fix squeaky windshield with Pedros Ice Wax
Replace the suspension if it is original
Get a GOOD alignment and corner balance
Cargraphics type second oil cooler
Gerts front protection bar
Check your door strap is ok and fix if it is clicking
Lightweight clutch and flywheel

That should get you going until spring.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the madness mate. I have also just become part of this exclusive group
The rear lid shocks are a bitch, and like Scott said, the skin will grow back eventually. The left one is a pig. I left the right one, at least until my hands heal.
I am attacking the air con evaporator right now. So far 6 hours just to get it out! The fun part is yet to come.
These cars are a blast and working on them yourself is so satisfyng.
Cheers

Last edited by 993MAN; 11-25-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard

But no new posts until pics are up
Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome Scott. This is a great group, with fantastic cars!

Good luck sleeping while your car is in transit.

I recommend you upgrade your suspension. PSS10 is an excellent choice.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:47 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default thanks

Thanks for all of the well wishes, I'm excited to be getting it. I expect with the holidays and all, it'll probably be the end of next week. I've been looking all summer, so I guess I can wait a few more days!

I've had Porsches before, a 2000 Boxster, a 1999 Carrera 2, and a 2002 996TT. So, sadly, my fourth is my first air-cooled car! I wanted to buy a car that I thought I could keep for a long time and that it would hold its value...so I hope I came to the right decision! It seems that everything I've read says that the 993TT is the purest of the Turbos and definitely held in the highest regard by Porschephiles.

Thanks for all of the tips, I'll start looking into those items in the archives. I did a good bit of research when I started this journey, so I have a few things in mind already (seems suspension and additional oil cooling are "must do's")

Kind Regards,
Scott
Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also newish after lurking for a couple of years. By design, I waited a year before doing anything other than deep cleaning and inspection, replacing seals, brake flush, oil changes, fixing the windshield squeak, etc. Like most, I have done a lot of mods over the years that I probably wouldn't do again, so I wanted to really get to know this car and how I used it before starting down the well-known slippery slope. Then, about a month ago when my year of mod-chastity ended, I did it, my first mod -- PSS-10s with "sporty street" alignment from Roth Sport, along with corner balancing and a Porsche strut tower brace. I LOVE it, and would say that it was all good with no negative trade-offs...which we all know is rare in the world of mods. Anyway, now the chassis is so superb the motor feels under-spec'd.... However, right now, my turbos, clutch, etc. are in great shape and I have no oil leaks so I am not about to address the desire for more juice, but I can feel it in my future. In the meantime, I am enjoying the virtual mods afforded by voyeurism / living vicariously through all the others on these boards.

Blah, blah, blah -- my points are: welcome, the suspension mod is a no-brainer even for a guy with a stock ethos, and thanks to all on these boards for taking a lot of the unknown out of choosing which path to take with any project.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

this is the nuthouse. Welcome, and be prepared to spend far more time and money than you anticipate honing this gem of a car
Old 11-26-2008, 01:47 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist and owning a great car! Love to see images once you have the car.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Welcome Scott... And the slope begins.... since I purchased my TT four years ago I have put over $10,000 in items in the car and love every second of it. Just turned 42,000 miles. Enjoy !!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

welcome. It sounds like you will love your pure porsche as much as the rest of us! Just be sure to drive it like it was meant to be driven. Have fun and looking forward to pics.

Quick Reply: New to the Group