Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 flare fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008 | 12:00 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Default GT2 flare fasteners

Does anyone know what the bolt size of the factory GT2's were? I'm guessing an M4? Would love a close up shot of the factory fastener if anybody had one.

Can put something together myself via mcmaster but I'd like to try and stay as close to factory look as possible (not that i'm installing GT2 flares or anything)

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-18-2008 | 12:05 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Josh,

See here - I did however go with a bigger bolt - I personally felt that the smaller ones were to small....

SUCKER !!!!

http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9.../BodyKits.html
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2008 | 12:11 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

lol Simon, thanks for the link but $150 for stainless bolts is silly much like the rest of FVD's pricing

Is that an aluminum hood I spy? very nice! Looks like you are on the home stretch with your conversion!

Regardless of my opinion on FVD's pricing can you confirm the head size of the fasteners you are using please?

Did you get turbos yet?!
Old 11-18-2008 | 12:20 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Josh,

HEHEHE - it is a BIG job.... trust me.

Parts from vendors that didnt fit, bolts sizes, trial fitments x 100, second hand stuff that people want more then NEW for - the usual.

Will do when i get home - I have a few of them .... (had to buy boxes of 100 of Wurth in both sizes.....)

I have some close up shots of the bolts from a Geniune car and some from mine if you want them?

Simon
Old 11-18-2008 | 12:24 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Simon! I will PM you my email if its easier than posting them although i'm sure others would appreciate seeing them as well.
Old 11-18-2008 | 12:50 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Emails sent!

Simon.
Old 11-18-2008 | 02:12 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Emails sent!

Simon.
Thank you sir!
Old 11-19-2008 | 01:58 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

A FWIW when my man reattached my flares the bolts which FVD supplied were according to my bodyman crap quality (despite as has been said being expensive !), pretty sure he said they were not stainless - he got hold of some decent quality stainless items....
Old 11-19-2008 | 02:02 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

I have confirmation that stock head size is M5

For what FVD charges I can get titanium button head bolts @ $5 per bolt. Won't corrode and have a natural brushed silver look

Thanks for the heads up on those bolts TB993tt, if the price wasn't enough to stay away maybe the quality will keep some from make that mistake

Last edited by Spartan; 01-16-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2009 | 06:43 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Spartan, any updates on your project?
Old 01-16-2009 | 11:41 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Default GT2 flare fasteners

Josh, I got a message from Gert this morning confirming a M5 bolt size in
stainless steel,and a package of 50 at 40 Euros...
Waiting on a part number , for what it's worth at this price I likely will opt for
a set one size up ala M6 (maybe gain some ridgedity ;-) Bert
Old 01-16-2009 | 11:46 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by budge96
Josh, I got a message from Gert this morning confirming a M5 bolt size in
stainless steel,and a package of 50 at 40 Euros...
Waiting on a part number , for what it's worth at this price I likely will opt for
a set one size up ala M6 (maybe gain some ridgedity ;-) Bert
You are correct Bert it is in fact an M5 and I edited my post Gert and I had it wrong before and I have the cargraphic bots in the mail as we speak.

I have M5 bolts with a rubber washer on the flare holding in the flares now and they are plenty imho but it is up each guy what he is comfortable with. I just think the M6 head bolts look to big, remember no matter how they are bolted in these flares are fiberglass or CF so they can only be so rigid

Shoot me an email Bert and I will send you some pics
Old 01-16-2009 | 11:57 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Guns951
Spartan, any updates on your project?
A fellow rennlister and new 993tt owner (wagongotya) and I pulled the motor and tranny last weekend to get the car ready for paint. We did this with no lift and hand tools (no air tools) and it took us 6 hrs without looking at the directions. Ok ok we had to look once about taking off the slave cylinder

With a lift and air tools you could take the motor out in these cars in 2hrs. Granted I have 2wd, straight pipes and not AC/blower but man I love how easy this car is to work on!!

I'm hoping to have the car in for paint next weekend. Interior should be done by the end of the month (full 928leather shop treatment with lots of alcantara). BBS motorsports were incorrect offsets so I am working with Gert on getting that fixed. Fronts are good with @ 10 inches with a 2.5 lip but the rears need some work. Want to run a 12 inch rim with 4 to 4.5 inch lip but as of now with the centers I have we can only run a 3.5 inch rear lip Either way Gert is great to deal with and if anyone wants BBS wheels he is the guy to go to.

All this has to be done by April for my first track event too!!!! Yikes, I'm going to spend a ton of time in the garage getting all of this done

Nothing like a little DIY GT2 conversion to make the winter go by quickly
Old 01-16-2009 | 01:19 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spartan
BBS motorsports were incorrect offsets so I am working with Gert on getting that fixed. Fronts are good with @ 10 inches with a 2.5 lip but the rears need some work. Want to run a 12 inch rim with 4 to 4.5 inch lip but as of now with the centers I have we can only run a 3.5 inch rear lip Either way Gert is great to deal with and if anyone wants BBS wheels he is the guy to go to.
I had a similar offset problem with Gert and these wheels. I was part of a six-person group buy and the only one with issues. Took quite a bit of time to (a) get him to admit that there was a problem, and (b) get it resolved with BBS. All worked out in the end and a great price to boot.
Old 01-16-2009 | 01:28 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bb993tt
I had a similar offset problem with Gert and these wheels. I was part of a six-person group buy and the only one with issues. Took quite a bit of time to (a) get him to admit that there was a problem, and (b) get it resolved with BBS. All worked out in the end and a great price to boot.
Its a HUGE pita to get the offsets right. Since GT2 fenders vary by car (unless its oem) there is no "one size fits all" BBS Motorsport offset and if there is no one has told me about it. That and I don't want to run spacers, I want to fitt the arch with wheel if that makes sense with the decent size lips.

He originally sent me the rears with 2.5 inch lips and fronts with 1 inch lip which actually looked like they fit the car with stock fenders. I simply took the wheels apart and moved the rear lip to the front, test fit and to my surprise fit up just like I wanted. Need a new inner barrel of course to get 10 inches but at least the fronts are ready to go and clear my 380mm brakes.

The rears are going to be a pain. I have a new set of barrels and lips coming from BBS (if they take mine back the old ones in return upon inspection) but if these don't work out I'll have to order another set of rears I'm lucky to be able to ship these things back and forth from belgium using our firms fedex discount. Overnight international priority only cost me $100 for a box with two wheels in it! Otherwise I'd be eating a ton in shipping costs

Once I get this figured out I will post the offsets and barrels up for everyone so no one has to go through this again with their conversion (given they want BBS Motorsports of course)

Quick Reply: GT2 flare fasteners