Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf Turbo R package on classifieds

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is what the center exhaust should look like. It is stock with an extension out the center

Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LA964RS
with the upgraded non-Ruf turbos and ecu the thing laid down a super big number on the dyno....no wonder he ditched the Ruf bits.....
This is the engine dyno vs chassis dyno debate, again,
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canysmc
Can the Ruf cams be purchased seperately from Ruf?
Their catalog would say no, but in the past Ruf has been known to do things their catalog wouldn't lead you to believe. If interested, you just need to ask ...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

We have worked on Javier's car and its really really trick. A good amount of Innovate Motorsporst data acq components installed very cleanly as well. Great car!

Also got a ride in it and it does pull plenty!!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savie
A friend bought that car... the turbos need rebuilding, and the exhaust is just a modified 993 tt exhaust.
Originally Posted by ca993twin
I can some factoids about this stuff. I had an opportunity to "road test" (approx 30 to 110 mph) my car against the mofidied Turbo R (now owned by Niche). His tranmission has been regeared for much shorter ratios, so as expected, he jumped me pretty good in the lower gears. As we got into the higher end, his car continued to pull another car length or so. I have no trouble believing that Niche's car is putting out 570 or 580 HP, just based on what I saw.

I can't view the ad, but I know that the original car came with a Ruf CTR-2 type center exhaust... quite different from the later system(s) that the previous owner had constructed.

As I said... factoids.
Originally Posted by niche
I'm the current owner of the car. I was thinking about getting the parts "just to have" also because athough the K24 are powerful there is definitely more lag than in say RUFUS. What made me hesitate was an e-mail from protomotive where they said:

"That car had k16/24’s on it from Ruf. We had retuned the car for him to get rid of some issues it had a while back. Rebuilding those turbos usually costs more than replacing them."

From that e-mail it seemed as though I probably wouldn't want to put the old ECU since I would have whatever "issues" back. From the seller I was told the exhaust was just nothing but a regular 993 tt exhaust that was modified, besides I LOVE THE CAR'S EXHAUST NOTE. The only thing I wanted were the turbos and they needed rebuilding so it seemed kind of expensive for turbos.

The work on the car definitely improved it as far as high-end power. I wouldn't change a thing...except the lag. There is no point to go back to less power for me. I just don't see how a regular TT would benefit from those parts?
Though you guys said the parts Ima2nr was selling was not worth it and/or no benefit, my buddy still commited to buying the parts upon Ima2nr's authentication, which he said he had in writing and was going to email my buddy but never did.

My buddy calls Ima2nr to followup on the authentication and Ima2nr advised the parts were sold already though my buddy already committed to the purchase.

Anyway, I referred this thread to my buddy and my buddy thanks you guys for the insight. Maybe you guys saved him from one big headache since the seller didn't follow on his own word.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I can some factoids about this stuff. I had an opportunity to "road test" (approx 30 to 110 mph) my car against the mofidied Turbo R (now owned by Niche). His tranmission has been regeared for much shorter ratios, so as expected, he jumped me pretty good in the lower gears. As we got into the higher end, his car continued to pull another car length or so. I have no trouble believing that Niche's car is putting out 570 or 580 HP, just based on what I saw.
Steve, a 570/580hp 600lb/ft 993tt would pull much more than a car length or so on a 500hp turbo R.
600lb/ft is chassis dyno torque -not the same as Ruf engine dyno torque, there is no way this car has that, not without big K24/26s and twin plug with head sealing.

MOD's 529hp/540lb/ft RS engined 993tt has run next to my 577hp/585lb/ft blue car and he will confirm that the difference in acceleration in marked, in fact we probably have some video somewhere.

BTW a simpleway of testing what power/torque this car has is do a 60-130mph - Jean can VERY accurately determine the power curve from this - 580hp/600lb/ft and 1500kg DIN should give a 2 shift 60-130 in ~7.4s
Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 AM
MOD500
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the difference is depressingly marked!

JBL930 kindly posted a video up taken from inside my car during a run with TB at Bruntingthorpe just before last Christmas:

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...artyn993tt.flv

The gap by the end at an indicated 190 mph (~ 185mph true) is huge, despite me getting on full boost a little earlier than TB! For ref the run on the main straight (after the big corner) started in 3rd at I guess around 60 mph.

Is fun to watch the other videos JBL took on the same day :

Secan IAT Anorak Run:

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...Tobys993tt.flv

Banana Splits:

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...heBenaaana.flv

Inside James' car:

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...eJames964t.flv

TB hits the runway:

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...=Toby993tt.flv
Old 11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

I read this thread a bit sideways, so I might be repeating something that has already been said. There is no way this kit with K16 turbos will deliver even North of 520bhp.

RUF spent one full year trying to get 580bhp from a friend's engine, after having had to rebuild the engine because it blew during testing, they still did not manage to get the numbers within safe parameters. The fastest 993 RUF I know of is that of Leon, and that is a highly modified one, lightweight, with gearing change, and most importantly aerodynamic improvements, and I still would put it at 550-560bhp or so, not more.

I don't know what is being sold here but an R Turbo kit without the cams and with damaged turbos sounds like no kit at all I am afraid.

As TB rightly said, when in doubt, grab a datalogger and prove yourself right

By the way RUF Bahrain has shut its doors and has thrown all of its employees out without further explanations yesterday. Not a nice thing to do. so I am a bit biased tonight as I have a 55-60 year old friend who was the chief tech and quit his previous job to go work for them and now he is on the streets without even a thank you note.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

RUF Bahrain closed? Wow.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well temporarily they say, but they certainly have not done any good, and unless someone buys the facility out, I don't see them getting back in business there anytime soon, they would not be very welcome anyway.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

It takes more than a set of K24's and a reprogram to get 580 PS from a Ruf Turbo R which uses 993 Carrera Cup cams that originally made 500 PS.

My RS Tuning car with solid lifter GT2 cams, and K24's and a GT2 Intercooler and head work gets 519 PS and 588 ft. lbs. at the crank and it uses two fuel pumps to feed it.

Jean; Sorry to learn of your friends situation I can only say that I believe it is the first crack in the ice.

Last edited by LAT; 11-06-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I guess the last line in your signature says it all LAT.

You met the guy, when we were with HPL during the opening of the "factory".
Old 11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just talked to Todd at protomotive who did some of the tuning on my car before I bought it. Apparently, he was able to squeeze a little more than the RUF 520hp it came with. Because I have that programmable ECU, some engine, tranny, clutch, flywheel and gear upgrades my car's last Dyno was 575hp at the crank which I guess is like 490-500hp at the wheels... Honestly, I don't really care about all that... just love the thing.

Jean, sorry to hear about your friend. That's sucks. Maybe if Ruf was more reasonable about some of their prices... I just got a quote on one turbo rebuild: $2,850! Smoking some serious stuff there!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by niche
Because I have that programmable ECU, some engine,
Todd is very reputable as evidenced by the performance of his cars by Jean, Woodster and others.

Some engine work is the only thing that will translate at the dyno not the clutch tranny etc.,
Do you know what was done? To go from 512 HP on the Ruf graph to 575 HP is a substantial increase.

The most important thing about it is that you love the car.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know what was done?
Oh man, I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure! My Turbo R being one of the first R's that RUF put together had a lot of CTR2 bits so I don't know if that helps. It came out of RUF with a rating of 529+ HP. This was the advertisement on the RUF website when it was previously for sale.

http://www.rufautocentre.com/usedcars/car011.asp

I guess I should read through my paperwork!

Quick Reply: Ruf Turbo R package on classifieds