Best Headers for our cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 AM
swift_switch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Headers for our cars

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my headers and exhaust system. Heard good things about B&B headers but wanted to get opinions on what to go for.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 10-24-2008, 03:25 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones on your car.....use search function and find the thread by Kevin that shows how he cleans up the existing system...may also be on his web site. Really hard to get after market "headers" to work as well as the factory oe ones. But if you want to spend some money I'm sure my friend Mr. Boat will gladly take it from you.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 PM
John@Fabspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by swift_switch
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my headers and exhaust system. Heard good things about B&B headers but wanted to get opinions on what to go for.

Thanks!

Chris
Hi Swift_switch, Alex here from Fabspeed Motorsport. Just wanted to let you know that Fabspeed has T304 Stainless steel Equal length Headers, Maxflo Sport mufflers and much more available for the 993tt. Let me know if you have any questions and please check out Fabspeed.com for more information.

Thank you
Alex@fabspeed

Fabspeed Motorsport USA
283 North Main Street
Ambler, PA 19002
215-646-4945 Phone
Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

i agree with LA. Have Kevin clean out your headers and I think he ceramics them. Then
airflow is increased alot.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had B&B and they cracked in about 12 places. Sent them back to B&B for repair and when I got them back they were cracked in about 12 places.

Talk to Jussi about Fabspeed. He has had nothing but trouble with them. I had a set of Fabspeed mufflers. After the fourth set, I gave up on them fitting properly. I am happy with my Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes (old style).

I have a set of stock heat exchangers that Kevin (UMW) himself cleaned up. Work perfectly; just like everything else he does.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Michael at AWE Tuning, site sponsor here, and great people to deal with. I am not sure if they have something for the 993 or not, although Micheal will know if they do or have something in development. I have some 996 headers from them that make great power and are made VERY well. They have in house R&D and sell products that work !
Let us know what you end up with and how well it works,
Viking
Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Stick with the Factory heat exchangers. Clean them and port them..

For those that "must have" something different I have a few sets of aftermarket heat exchangers that I will trade for your factory units minus a few bucks from your wallet.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 PM
malcolmd
Racer

Have Kevin clean out your headers and I think he ceramics them.
You can't ceramic coat the heat exchangers - I asked and was told this by the source.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Putting ceramic inside the stainless will trash your turbine wheels in short order. With the outer exchanger covering 90% of the header it's really not practical to coat the 993TT heat exchangers.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin
Stick with the Factory heat exchangers. Clean them and port them..

For those that "must have" something different I have a few sets of aftermarket heat exchangers that I will trade for your factory units minus a few bucks from your wallet.
Have you measured the flow of your cleaned and ported HE against stock?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

canysmc we are removing the internal shrouding from the collector/piping inside the heat exchangers. It's a physical restriction that we are cutting/grinding away. I don't know if the pictures even show up with the heat exchanger DIY mod that I posted years ago.

Remove the restrictions and you will free up/ speed up the exhaust.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run 100% stock exhaust manifolds. Bigger turbos and programming is the way to go.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:15 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Putting ceramic inside the stainless will trash your turbine wheels in short order. With the outer exchanger covering 90% of the header it's really not practical to coat the 993TT heat exchangers.
Does this apply for NA cars as well?

I mean, the heat exchanger covers a big part of the headers, but would it be a good idea to ceramic them anyway? I am looking to ceramic my sport cats/X-pipes and RSR mufflers and I am thinking of doing the heat exchangers as well..

Any ideas on ballpark cost for this?

Kevin, did you ever port the headers on a NA 993?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Viggo, the NA heat exchangers are also very good. You "Can" coat the inside of the stainless piping. Wouldn't gain much on the outside. But you can coat the inside. However, there is/are better options to explore like upgrading your CAT cartridges to more efficient units. Freeing up your NA exhaust system will give you more benifits vs coating>>porting and cleaning up the flanges/fittings will increase the flow.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Kevin Said:
Kevin its been 5 years since I had a 993TT. I cant remember EXACTLY what you do to the headers. I DO know YOU are the guy to go to. THAT is the important thing. I was giving you props and trying to get the OP to do whats best for his car!!

Quick Reply: Best Headers for our cars