Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am I the bad guy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008 | 06:01 PM
md11plt
Pro

Default Why am I the bad guy?

A few months ago, I had my turbos replaced at a very reputable shop. I made clear that the old turbos were needed as a core exchange. When Kevin got the turbos, he sent me a letter telling me that the cores were useless because they had been put in a vice so the sump tanks could be removed. The clamping force caused the turbine housing to become distorted. I also got a bill for the now outstanding core charge.

I worked out a deal with the shop manager and I thought things were OK. I was happy and felt like I was taken care of.

Today, I went to the shop to have an alignment issue looked at. The mechanic now tells me I need to wait in the lounge (previously, I was allowed to hang out and learn some stuff as well as have a friendly chat with the guys on the floor). When he finishes the work, he says the shop manager has to release the car (again, I always got to go along with the mechanic on these test drives).

Finally, the mechanic looks at me and says “You know, I was only trying to save you a buck. You have ruined it for everybody else because I’ll never do that again.” I told him that he didn’t save me a buck, he cost me five hundred.

I told the shop manager that I felt this incident has ruined what I thought was a pretty good relationship. I feel awkward going back there now because I don’t know how much this guy’s animosity towards me is going to affect his work. I will also always have doubts about being charged fairly.

This sucks. He screwed up and I’m the jerk. I guess I’ll have to find a new place in Atlanta. Fortunately, there are a few good ones around.
Old 10-21-2008 | 06:14 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by md11plt
This sucks. He screwed up
And you went back?
Old 10-21-2008 | 07:04 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

This wrench is clearly one of those guys that feels the universe revolves around him, go elsewhere with no loss.
Old 10-21-2008 | 07:31 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
This wrench is clearly one of those guys that feels the universe revolves around him, go elsewhere with no loss.
+993!!! I wouldn't trust him with your car... besides, as you said, he cost you $500!
Old 10-21-2008 | 08:22 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Didn't sound like you were the bad guy to me. I am sure you will find other worthy shops to take care of your Porsche as Rennlisters from Atlanta pipe in. You might want to edit your thread title to include "Atlanta Shop Recs Please" or start another thread....
Old 10-21-2008 | 08:26 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

putting the housing into a vice was a good heads up on his true ability........
even I managed to remove the tanks without resorting to such violence.

going back was good. it confirms absolutely that you need to be spending your money elsewhere.
Old 10-21-2008 | 08:31 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with Q. If he is putting it in a vise they you dont need him working on your car and
he doesnt need to be working on Turbos!!
Old 10-21-2008 | 08:59 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

md11plt - You keeping what shop it is a secret?
Old 10-21-2008 | 09:17 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Did the shop admit fault, that they put the turbo in a vice?
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:36 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Dang... that really stinks. Its a matter of fairness, and its simply not fair to be treated as if you did something wrong. Sorry, but you need be be clear of them, but that won't make that bad taste go away for a while. Sorry.

On the other hand... your car, as always, looks great!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2008 | 11:09 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by md11plt
the cores were useless because they had been put in a vice so the sump tanks could be removed. The clamping force caused the turbine housing to become distorted. I also got a bill for the now outstanding core charge.

the mechanic looks at me and says “You know, I was only trying to save you a buck. You have ruined it for everybody else because I’ll never do that again.” I told him that he didn’t save me a buck, he cost me five hundred.
We can only hope...
Old 10-22-2008 | 12:31 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

md11plt,

first, no worries, find another shop. i understand your wanting to take the blame and be the good customer, but it needs to be a 2 way street.

second, these cars require delicate attention when being worked on. that goes for things attached to the car and removed. crushing the housing in a vice certainly doesn't sound good to me.

sorry for your experience, but don't feel like you ruined the relationship. the $500 bucks isn't the expensive part, the money you'll have to thunk down to get in with someone new will be.

did kevin send you the cores back? might make nice garage hangings.
Old 10-22-2008 | 01:20 PM
md11plt
Pro

Originally Posted by EddieC
md11plt - You keeping what shop it is a secret?
If you really want to know, I'll PM you the name.

Originally Posted by Acropora
Did the shop admit fault, that they put the turbo in a vice?
Yup, No muss no fuss. We did it and we did it because there was so much corrosion on the bolts, it was the best way to save the tanks. Kevin actually suggested they could have sacrificed the tanks (much cheaper than the cores) or bolted the turbos back onto the car to have enough leverage to remove the tanks without resorting to a vice. They also have a machine shop on site that could have done the job, but again, that would have been an extra hours worth of labor. BTW, none of the bolts sheared, they were just difficult to remove.

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Dang... that really stinks. Its a matter of fairness, and its simply not fair to be treated as if you did something wrong. Sorry, but you need be be clear of them, but that won't make that bad taste go away for a while. Sorry.
That’s the part that sucks. I really like this shop. I believe the mech was “trying to save me a buck.” He didn’t do anything untoward to my new turbos, and I have been tremendously happy with the work they have done to my car.

Like I said, the service manager and I reached an agreement on restitution and I thought all was cool. They did not doc the mech any pay for any of this…so I’m stumped at his attitude. His response should have been “Tom, I’m sorry for the trouble on the turbos. I was trying to save you a buck. Next time, I’ll call you and give you a few options, if that’s all right.”

As I’m sure Old Guy will attest to, I HATE conflict (yea Lexapro!). So that’s what is troubling me the most.

BTW, Steve, how far are you from Fairfield? I am going to visit my brother next month and thought I'd like to meet Rufus in person. It doesn't matter if you're there or not.
Old 10-22-2008 | 01:58 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Tricky situation cos you trusted them... I think it's completely out of line for the mechanic to put you on a guilt trip... and quite frankly I would find it very hard to trust their/his work from here on. Shame really, but hey..
Old 10-22-2008 | 02:15 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Tom,

I'm so new up here in Santa Cruz, I had to use Mapquest to find Fairfield. Its 108 miles, it says "2 hours, unless you have a Ruf, in which case its 1 hour and 15 minutes". Odd. You let me know when, and Rufus will get up there. I may join him... I'm very anxious to actually meet you face-to-face. I feel like we're old friends.

Regards the original topic... I'm a believer in very open, straight communication. I would go to the shop owner and ask him for a 15 minute, private conversation. Tell him exactly what you said here. Tell him you've always liked his shop and would like to continue using him (if that's still true), then ask him what he suggests you do, since bringing you car to his shop with this new, strained relationship isn't working well.

Dang.

Quick Reply: Why am I the bad guy?