Sponsored by:

RSR/Cup flares - Questions - X-post

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool RSR/Cup flares - Questions - X-post

Toying with the idea of pulling the trigger on that RS replica I mentioned (alternative B in my recent thread), and turning it into GT2-look. The RS package looks very nice as well with the OEM speedlines so I can also chose to leave it as is. It's just I have always loved the look of the GT2 .

Car is a '96 993 C2 X51 3.8L RS clone that I am looking at. Someone spent a fortune on this car: big reds, oem rscs aerokit, OEM speedlines ($$), sunroof delete, full leather interior, gt3 buckets, white guage faces, techart fully functional ducts, SS brakelines, RS rear mats, heigo half roll cage, RS suspension, RSR's, RS strut brace, you name it .. Speedy yellow/black, 25.xxx miles / 44.000kms.. If I get my DACH pipes on there, then a nice live remap it might bring the HP from 300 to 310-320 range.. . Then lateron RS clutch/LWF, RS motor mounts etc etc.. sure sounds promising..

Ok, now to the questions. I have been looking at the RSR/Cup flare package for NB cars from FVD:

http://shop.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/-...lares-993.html

1. Will GT2 speedlines fit under the RSR flares?

FVD has previously offered a set of "street GT2 Speedlines". Exact replicas of the OEM GT2 speedlines, only difference being that they have alu centers instead of mag centers, which makes them more suitable for street use.

Sizes are:

Front
9x18 ET34

Rear
11x18 ET18

I have read in previous threads that the OEM GT2 flares are actually a little too wide for the wheels. Maybe if I use 285 on the 11"s in the back I can make them fit?? Also in previous threads people said that 11" or even 12" wheels will fit under RSR/Cup flares. The focus here should be on wheel offset, not wheel width. So for those of you with RSR/Cup flares, what are your widths/offsets? (Priceton for example?). Other please chime in. I guess if I have the wheels mounted on the car while fitting the flares it should be easier. I just need to know if it's possible at all..?

2. Fitting the FVD RSR flare kit, is it recommended swapping the NB rear bumper cover for a turbo/C2S/C4S bumper cover? Even if it's not mandatory, would it help making more space in the back for the speedlines when fitting the flares?

3. Is a full respray recommended (or is it a must?) when cutting the fenders and fitting the RSR flares? Or would a skilled body shop not need to paint the whole car but rather just the front fenders and the area around the rear fenders (blending into the rest of the car)?

Lot's of question marks here.. Anotherone for the crowd: Which do you like better, RS look or GT2 look?

Thanks guys, have a great weekend

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Red9
Racer

Re: wheels== I think so?
Re: Rear bar= if narrow body--stay with narrow body rear bar-- the RSR flares and side skirts are neater looking fit than GT2
Re: Painting= should not need to paint anything other than additions-- cutting needs to be done carefully with very fine blade--if done neatly it is reversible if need ever arises and should not affect anything other than cut itself.
While I am not sure of the GT2 wheel offsets, the wheels swim in originals. RSR flares are about 25mm narrower than GT2 . From memory- the original wheels are about 50mm from flare-- so narrower flare should look about right. The GT2 flare accomadated race wheels that were considerably wider .Hope that helps.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:14 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

I am doing the GT2 conversion on a wide body TT now with I beleive replica carbon
flares from FVD,from my understanding they are available from a few sources +1,+2
and possibly +3 flare sizes to approximate RSR full race dimensions.
As for the wheels I also have a real set of magnesium Speedlines ,2 sets and they
were offset for the cup and RS version fenders(narrow body) although the rear GT2
were at least 12" ,they came standard 8.5 and 10.5.
They will be swallowed up in the rear if not adjusted( working on it!)
Personally I like the Gt2 flare edition also because it is a twin turbo engine as well.
My car will also lose the front pumpkin ,axles and torque tube for 2WD,future
upgrades include k24 turbos,GT2 EVO cams, cat bypass and muff delete all in hand.
A friend is holding an aluminum front RSR lid (hopefully).
Don't misunderstand me , I do like the RS version but probably more so for a narrow
body car...to each his own, go for it! Bert
Old 10-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dunno if it's possible to slam it as low as that first picture but OMG that first shot looks hot.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Red 9 - What do you mean by NB bar? I was referring to the narrow body bumper cover vs. the turbo bumper cover.. I think the difference in width might be about 15mm on each side.. Using a turbo rear bumper cover and fitting the flares a little lower and more outward might help one fit bigger wheels under there.

You say the RSR flares are about 25mm narrower than the GT2 flares - That's good news. Do you know how much wider they are compared to the turbo/C2S/C4S. It has got be wider, because the OEM GT2 speedlines won't fit a turbo..

Bert - Sounds like an interesting project . Let's just clarify things - the OEM GT2 Speedlines are 11x18 ET18 in the rear. Then there might be race variants etc. but these are not the ones I will be trying to fit. I am sure you can fit much more rubber under the GT2 flares.

"Don't misunderstand me , I do like the RS version but probably more so for a narrow
body car...to each his own, go for it! Bert"

What do you mean? The car I am considering is a narrow body 993 C2. I am just debating whether I should keep it as is (RSCS look) or go for the NB RSR/Cup flares (GT2 look). I'm leaning towards the latter .
Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Red9
Racer

NB= Narrow Body
I thought you were comparing/choosing between GT2 & RSR look flares--RS CS is narrow body and adds different lower front( the same in all choices mentioned). The RS/R look all have same tail( not GT2) if you are going to be accurate -- so really the only difference is the flares and side skirts.
I am only guessing on width over stock turbo-- but I think also about 20-25 mm.If you can get measurement from the rim to-- the inside hub surface( where it makes contact with surface of hub) I can check all the varients this week.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:05 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Red9, appreciate the effort.

I'm going for the GT2 look. Meaning I will keep the RSCS front splitters (same as GT2) and replace the RSCS rear wing with the GT2 wing. Then add the flares and rockers.

Since the car is a NB 993, I can't chose between GT2 flares (for WB cars) and RSR flares. I have no other choice but to go for RSR/Cup flares and add side skirts to match.. The GT2 flares are made to pair with the somewhat different shape of the WB rear quarter panels. The NB quarter panels are different I believe.. So I was thinking if you go with RSR flares, but you replace the rear bumper cover with the somewhat wider turbo bumper cover, maybe the RSR flares can be fitted a little more outward (and lower) to allow for wider wheels.. Does that make sense?

It would help a lot if you could measure on a car with RSR/Cup flares just to check how wide they are.. If you could measure the distance from the hub mounting face to the outer edge of the fender lip that would be super. That figure would have to be greater than 121.7mm according to the diagram below.

The rear wheels is 11" ET18. Thus from wheel hub mounting face to outer edge of rim is (11"/2)-18mm according to the diagram. That is, as stated above, 121.7mm. Then ofcourse you have to take tires and so on into consideration but that's another story.. Just want to check if it's possible. If the distance from the wheel hub to the outer fender lip is greater than on a stock turbo, then chances are the GT2 wheels will fit in there . TIA.

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:34 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Vhanson, I think you're misconstruing the NB RS flare and cup style fore the RSR/GT2
the former is narrow Body,the llatter Wide Body ( my mistake if I mis understood)
I was at a track day today in VA and saw many 3.8 cup style and RSR's , alot of the
wide body GT2 style cars were actually RSR NA (non turbo)...Bert
Old 10-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Red9
Racer

No need to change the narrow body rear bar (or the front either) they both flex sufficiently to fit. Fit looks ordinary-- that is how factory was/is. The turbo bar is too wide for what you are doing and will put everything out of place. FWIW turbo bar fits turbo/GT2 the same way.
I think 120 mm is very close( maybe 130mm) for wheel clearance.I will check.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budge96
Vhanson, I think you're misconstruing the NB RS flare and cup style fore the RSR/GT2
the former is narrow Body,the llatter Wide Body ( my mistake if I mis understood)
I was at a track day today in VA and saw many 3.8 cup style and RSR's , alot of the
wide body GT2 style cars were actually RSR NA (non turbo)...Bert
Bert, thanks for your input. AFAIK there is no such thing as NB RS flares.. Neither the regular 993RS nor the 993RSCS had fender flares, they are just NB coupes with wing packages and RS rockers. The 993 RSR and some of the 993 Cup cars however, have fender flares.. Both the 993 RSR and the 993 Cup cars are narrow bodied cars to begin with (as opposed to the GT2 which starts off as a WB car). I want to add flares to a NB 993 thus the real GT2 flares are out of the question (because they require a WB base). It's a common misconception that Cup/RSR flares are being sold as "GT2 flares" hence adding to the confusion. They are "GT2 Look flares" yes but the OEM GT2 flares wouldn't fit a NB car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by Red9
No need to change the narrow body rear bar (or the front either) they both flex sufficiently to fit. Fit looks ordinary-- that is how factory was/is. The turbo bar is too wide for what you are doing and will put everything out of place. FWIW turbo bar fits turbo/GT2 the same way.
I think 120 mm is very close( maybe 130mm) for wheel clearance.I will check.
Red, ok got it. I guess you would have to heat the rear bumper cover to get it to flex a bit and aquire a perfect fit with the flares.. I also think 120mm will be close. If it's 130mm it would probably work (with 285's on 11" in the back). Please also check this figure on a 993TT (or C2S/C4S) if you can. It has to be wider than the 993TT (or C2S/C4S) because there's no way the GT2 speedlines would fit a turbo. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
Dunno if it's possible to slam it as low as that first picture but OMG that first shot looks hot.
That shot is at the Karussell at the Nurburgring; the suspension is under a fair bit of compression load from the banking. And since the banking is made from discrete concrete slabs the additional load from crossing the joins means the Karussell is a good test for checking if your ride height/spring rates are too low!.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:00 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Looks beautiful as it is! I'd only return the side skirts to their original black color and leave it at that.

Quick Reply: RSR/Cup flares - Questions - X-post