Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed vs FVD Muffler Bypasses?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fabspeed vs FVD Muffler Bypasses?

Anyone have experience with the FVD version?? I know the Fabspeed version is very popular.

FVD

Fabspeed

The price difference is significant: FVD for @ $300 and Fabspeed for $550.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe the FVD ones are partially mild steel that has been chrome plated so they will rust. Mine certainly did.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set of Fabspeeds, but I've cut the tips off (cleanly), and they will need to be welded back on. (Yes, I have the tips). They are all packed up for my move to Santa Cruz, but if you're interested, I'll take some pictures when i get moved in (this weekend). You can call me (805)217-6304 to discuss.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

The FVD pictured looks to be what the Fabspeeds use to look like. (Assuming the the Fanspeed pictured is the "newer" version).
Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The FVDs I bought 4 years ago appeared to be made by Dansk.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by canysmc
The FVD pictured looks to be what the Fabspeeds use to look like. (Assuming the the Fanspeed pictured is the "newer" version).
just noticed that they are a new style tip.
is it the equivelent size of the big oval?
one thing i'll say is that my current (old style) fabspeed tip leaves something to be desired.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

I take it everyone is happy (happier) with the "newer" Fabspeeds?

Anyone with GHL muffler deletes?

By the way, I would consider the AWE cat + muffler delete pipes if I weren't worried about 1)regretting the noise and 2)ECU/CEL issues that I have read about.... any wisdoms here?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's just get this over with. Someone start a GB on the new Fab Speeds. I would, but my plate is a little full these days.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimhsu
I take it everyone is happy (happier) with the "newer" Fabspeeds?

Anyone with GHL muffler deletes?

By the way, I would consider the AWE cat + muffler delete pipes if I weren't worried about 1)regretting the noise and 2)ECU/CEL issues that I have read about.... any wisdoms here?
I was happy with my "older" Fabspeed muffler bypasses.

From reading on RL, GHL muffler bypasses aka deletes should result in similar results. Its just that GHL fit and finish is not the same as Fabspeeds. GHL looks to be welded from several pieces to achieve what Fabspeeds does by mandrel bending. But once installed, you would only know if you looked underneath the car.

I eventually went with the AWE muffler/cat deletes. Much much louder and I'm happy with it. But then again, I might be deaf now. So far no regrets with the AWEs.

And, knock on wood, no CELs after approx 5k miles to date.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

one potential advantage to the GHL's is that they are available in two versions - one with an integral tip ala the pix above and the other designed to take your own factory or other tips.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GHL pipes do decrease in diameter to allow you fit your stock tips. Some say this will restrict flow a bit.

I have always thought the FVD and the old FS pipes were the same. There seem to be a few different vendors selling what appears to be the same pipe. I have had nothing but poor results trying to fit stuff FS make in-house.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by canysmc
I eventually went with the AWE muffler/cat deletes. Much much louder and I'm happy with it. But then again, I might be deaf now. So far no regrets with the AWEs.

And, knock on wood, no CELs after approx 5k miles to date.
That's good to know that you don't have CEL with a 96 TT. Anything special you did with your pre and post-cat sensors? Is it still the original ECU?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

This Joe @ Fabspeed Motorsports.

Here is the complete factual history on Porsche 993 Twin Turbo muffler bypass pipes with integral tips.

I personally designed and tested the 1st set of 993 Twin Turbo muffler bypass pipes back in 1996...... 12+ years ago. I was the 1st to do this and as usual all the German tuners said they dont work and yada yada yada.

Jeff Zwart (WON PIKes Peak hillclimb in ANDIAL prepared 993TT cars with my pipes) and many other racers and street drivers have enjoyed these 993TT muffler bypass pipes with integral tips as these parts offer gutsy sound at a good value and save 30lbs off the reamost area of a 993TT. My 993TT systems also give you great sports car sound while complying with 50 state emissions and Porsche warranty.

The pipes work great and there are detailed VIDEO sound bite explanations on my website.

After customers and the public realized that the 993TT muffler bypass pipes work great..........several German tuners bought several sets.......but always wanted "the better price" and ultimately my Fabspeed Motorsports USA made super quality T304 Stainless steel parts were 100% sent out and COPIED. These are poor copies and are mild steel chrome plated and fit very poorly. Photos dont lie.

The Fabspeed Motorsports parts are 63.5mm 2.5" Tubing for maximum exhaust flow and power. Copies use inferior smaller tubing and the tips are not finished as nice.

Also 993TT muffler bypass pipes that allow re-use of factory 993TT/993 tips are NOT the way to go and I will explain this and this is why 12+ years ago I added integral tips to my system.

All factory 993TT cars use a small metric 2.25" steel donut and Aeroquip clamp to connect the 993TT tip to the 993TT or 993NA muffler. This is the SAME small donut and clamp used on 272HP normally aspirated 993 cars and 282HP Varioram cars (993 part#)........so therefore any and all 993TT cars that have exhaust systems designed to re-use factory style 993TT tips are limiting exhaust flow and therefore power. My Fabspeed 993TT muffler bypass pipes with integral tips use full 2.5" tubing that connect to the stock Porsche 993TT catalytic converters and the STEEL Donut at that junction is a Posrche #959 part# and the tubing and size is much bigger and therefore the car has alot more flow and is not limited.

Rennlisters:
I still have the old style 993TT muffler bypass pipes and I also have the new style 993TT muffler bypass pipes all in T304SS L and mirror polsihed.

If any of you guys would like a set and want to set up a group buy and or want a special 12+ ANNIVERSAY Fabspeed Motorsports set of myffler bypass pipe .......just let us know and we will take care of all of you.

WE also have the made up the worlds best 993TT sports racing catalytic converters and catbypass pipes that are modular and allow quick catalytic converter changeouts.

WE also have developed a 993TT SUPERCUP exhaust system for all 993TT cars that is also very unique and was requested by many customers. This is also a very high flow exhaust that works great.

Have a great 4th of July.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 PM
aperalta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe,

Do you have pics and/or links to the old and new muffler bypass pipes? I'm up for a group by. Anyone else??
Old 07-03-2008, 05:12 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 202 Posts

My experience with the FS stuff has been mediocre....

The tips are too small for the opening and too short and the wrong angle for modded cars. I am referring to the 1st gen ones.

If your car is stock - then there may be no issue. Modded cars are TOTALLY another issue...

FWIW - here is a pic with the resulting damage to my bumper...

Simon.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Fabspeed vs FVD Muffler Bypasses?