Greddy Profec II boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 AM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy Profec II boost controller

Does anyone have one of these in their car?

Last edited by SA Mike; 05-29-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:06 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I do, installed by the PO, rather the PO's shop.

When I first got the car, it was all out of whack as the car would overboost rather quickly. After resetting all settings to basically default starting levels, slowly working my way up the boost limiter solved the problem.

That said, I am not certain its smart to have a boost adjuster mechanism with reach of the driver

Some experts have voiced their opinions rather strongly that these are no good, others say the opposite -- naturally, I dont know whether or not to take this thing out or not???
Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I had one in my 993TT (never touched it),

and now in my 996TT (Protomotive built) and I play around with it a fair bit
as the weather changes. Seems to do a fine job. I cannot argue the merits of it however,
nor would I waste my time doing so.

Good luck,

Marty
Old 05-27-2008, 12:58 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woodster
I had one in my 993TT (never touched it),

and now in my 996TT (Protomotive built) and I play around with it a fair bit
as the weather changes. Seems to do a fine job. I cannot argue the merits of it however,
nor would I waste my time doing so.

Good luck,

Marty
I turned it to the "OFF" mode when I took it to the dealer (thought that someone would monkey with it), does this set it back to stock levels. Also are LO and HI settings are pre-set? I havne't messed with it other than this.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, sounds like you don't have the manual? Not sure what model yours is but the manual is available online at GReddy's site: http://www.greddy.com/tech/
Just scroll down to the Profec sction...
Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
Mike, sounds like you don't have the manual? Not sure what model yours is but the manual is available online at GReddy's site: http://www.greddy.com/tech/
Just scroll down to the Profec sction...
Actually I did download the manual, but it's vague in some areas. I assume the LO and HI settings are the pre-set put in place by the person that intially set up the controller.

Last edited by SA Mike; 05-27-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Actually I did download the manual, but it's vauge in some areas. I assume the LO and HI settings are the pre-set put in place by the person that intially set up the controller.

Some? I find it vague in ALL areas..
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

It's ugly, but is very simple and does its job.

If you switch it to OFF, you will be boosting at wastegate spring value (most likely 0.7 Bar).
The Lo and Hi settings are programmable to your preferences in boost, gain and set gain.

Buy a VDO boost gauge to replace the clock and useless digital gauge, make a killer deal on Woodster's AX 22 GPS datalogger for sale as it is a fantastic tool, plug it in your car, set your Profec at 25% boost, and do some runs. Later, do some small (5% max) changes to "gain" and "set gain" only and do some runs...take notes of everything and see what works best.

Once you get it right, you don't need to touch it again ever, except on and off if you want.

It took me 10 minutes.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

How much do you want for the AX22 Woodster, i'm interested
Old 05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
It's ugly, but is very simple and does its job.

If you switch it to OFF, you will be boosting at wastegate spring value (most likely 0.7 Bar).
The Lo and Hi settings are programmable to your preferences in boost, gain and set gain.

Buy a VDO boost gauge to replace the clock and useless digital gauge, make a killer deal on Woodster's AX 22 GPS datalogger for sale as it is a fantastic tool, plug it in your car, set your Profec at 25% boost, and do some runs. Later, do some small (5% max) changes to "gain" and "set gain" only and do some runs...take notes of everything and see what works best.

Once you get it right, you don't need to touch it again ever, except on and off if you want.

It took me 10 minutes.
Thanks Jean you answered my question. I guess the person that set it up for Alvin set up the LO and HI settings when they intiallly installed it so they should remain intact as long as I didn't mess with it except to turn it off and on.

Some? I find it vague in ALL areas
LOL!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike

It all depends who set it up for Alvin and how well did they do it. You need to have a proper boost gauge to make sure they did not set it up to some crazy boost levels. Once it is on, go to the Hi setting, turn the wheel **** once tick to the right to check what % it is set on...If it is anything higher than 30-35%, don't use it until you know what your boost levels are, stick to the LO mode which should be set around 15-20% or so (that's what I use)

If you know that your wastegaste springs are 0.7 Bar, then a 30% increase in boost would be 1.7 x 1.3 = 2.2bar absolute or 1.2 Bar of boost. That's why I am saying make sure it is below, just for safety by the time you test it.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Mike

It all depends who set it up for Alvin and how well did they do it. You need to have a proper boost gauge to make sure they did not set it up to some crazy boost levels. Once it is on, go to the Hi setting, turn the wheel **** once tick to the right to check what % it is set on...If it is anything higher than 30-35%, don't use it until you know what your boost levels are, stick to the LO mode which should be set around 15-20% or so (that's what I use)

If you know that your wastegaste springs are 0.7 Bar, then a 30% increase in boost would be 1.7 x 1.3 = 2.2bar absolute or 1.2 Bar of boost. That's why I am saying make sure it is below, just for safety by the time you test it.
Thanks so much Jean. Alvin said when they installed it they did it right, so it wasn't overboosting, but I'll check it just the same. I noticed since I have had it in the OFF mode it has been a little different than when I first got it. I shouldn't have turned it off to begin with. I'll set it to the LO mode and check it.

Last edited by SA Mike; 05-30-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike don't worry too much, it is quite easy to get it right, just make sure it is not set at crazy percentages in boost.

If boost spikes (similar to the revs with a slipping clutch), it will flash in red as there is a limiter that I am sure they set up right, then you just lower the set gain setting or boost to remove the spike.. It sounds much more complicated than what it is, very very unlikely to have any kind of problem unless one is reckless.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I had John from Protosport put in a Greddy Profec switch in mine, hidden behind the center console, with a hand-held remote control, but the remote is on order and when it comes in for programming, I won't use it anyhow since I'll keep it on the "high" boost setting all the time.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

I have one and I love it... I like the way you can give LOADS of TQ at low rpm's.....I have mine set at 16psi with 93 octane and some toluline and it runs like a train....

Quick Reply: Greddy Profec II boost controller