Sponsored by:

Pics of Andial VDO boost gauge in left vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Pics of Andial VDO boost gauge in left vent

Does anyone have a pic of an Andial VDO turbo boost gauge integrated into the left side dash HVAC vent? My 993TT tuner is suggesting using this for monitoring boost in my upgraded 993TT.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of these. See pix on the "Got a Ruf" thread-last post on the last page.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bb993tt
I have one of these. See pix on the "Got a Ruf" thread-last post on the last page.
Many thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:42 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is to replace your clock with a boost gauge and if you still need it, North Hollywood Speedometer can intergrate a small clock into an empty space in your tach or other dial. They have some good pics on their webside on custom gauges that they've done.

Last edited by David in LA; 04-09-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a horrible location for a boost gauge when you have to take your eyes off the road to see what your boost is doing. This goes for street or track driving. Clock is by far the best location for a boost guage in our cars imo
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine.

It is really awkwardly placed, and that is being really kind.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:32 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess this raises the question of how do you want to use the gauge/what do you want to get out of it? I don't have any gauge other than the one built into the OBC. My wants would be max boost and the boost curve over time/revs. About a lap's worth of history (2-3 minutes unless you're at the Ring) would be sufficient. Is it very important to get that info in real time? Probably not for me - the only thing I would want is some sort of alarm if the boost exceeded a settable level. The rest could be viewed later in the pits, etc. if the gauge recorded and I believe there are such things. This would remove the issue of placement. Anyone tried this sort of approach?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

We did talk about putting the boost gauge in place of the analog clock or even on my car on the factory analog phone console (now modded with my Blackberry mounted in its own cradle), but we didn't want to cut into the console, it seemed to me that the clock location was not ideal for my line of sight, it was redundant to move the clock and put in a new boost gauge, and I kind of like the idea of the gauge over the HVAC vent. We talked about those LCD insets advertised on this board from inyourfacegauges, but decided we didn't want to mod the VDO tach gauge. I wish VDO would make a tach/boost gauge combo (or perhaps speedo/boost gauge combo) themselves.

I am most interested in using the boost gauge for estimating overboost and underboost for engine malfunction purposes (and the occasional on-road entertainment value), so I don't need to see it constantly. Therefore, it seems besides front-and-center on the tach gauge, the left HVAC isn't too bad a placement-or is this wishful thinking?

Here is my modded phone console-too far down out of road view for reading peak boost, I would think:
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Al, yes you can look at it if you have a nice long clear straight bit of road, but in the 3.8 it all starts happening pretty dang qick.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Al, yes you can look at it if you have a nice long clear straight bit of road, but in the 3.8 it all starts happening pretty dang qick.
True.

I wonder if someone might fabricate one of those "projection" systems that could flash up onto the base of the windshield/windscreen a digital readout, perhaps with a small projector lens mounted on the dash-or is this too tacky and too 'Vette-esque?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will make the obvious suggestion here.... RETRO tech !

- Buy a black leather 997 Sport Chrono gauge housing.
- Insert boost gauge.
- Mount in position 1 or 2
= Visible boost gauge !

**copyright Q 2008

Last edited by Q; 04-09-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Defi (Deffy?) gauges. They're a Japanese company that tends to cater to the import crowd, but they do some nice stuff, including a projected HUD-type gauge. They're known for their daisy-chain, stepper motor analog gauges which allow for very simple wiring.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Check out Defi (Deffy?) gauges. They're a Japanese company that tends to cater to the import crowd, but they do some nice stuff, including a projected HUD-type gauge. They're known for their daisy-chain, stepper motor analog gauges which allow for very simple wiring.
I checked the Defi website and it says their HUD unit does not display boost. Any other companies to suggest?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Q
I will make the obvious suggestion here.... RETRO tech !

- Buy a black leather 997 Sport Chrono gauge housing.
- Insert boost gauge.
- Mount in position 1 or 2
= Visible boost gauge !

**copyright Q 2008

Oh no! My 993TT dashboard has been "contaminated" by a 997 TT Sport Chrono wart!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:10 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

here's one for you getting rave reviews https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/415187-best-boost-gauge-ever.html fits into your rev counter.

Steve

Quick Reply: Pics of Andial VDO boost gauge in left vent