Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

steve that looks rad!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:06 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I have the original heat shield jammed in place (trimmed for the center tail pipes, of course). I am thinking of taking the system off and sending it out for Jet Hot Coating, which I understand works well as a heat barrier. Any thoughts about that? I'd probably do it in silver color, or flat black.
Hi Steve. No specific thoughts or solutions or even certainty that it's a problem; it just struck me that with the pipes doubling back over on top of the cats there will be a lot of heat concentrated there. Ceramic coating can't hurt.

I do like the center outlet look; I wonder how it sounds compared to muffler bypasses given the extra pipe length.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Phelix,

Regarding the sound: I went from the Fabspeed muffler byapss to this setup with no other changes. The car is equipped with the Ruf Sport Cats. I always got a lot of compliments on the way my car sounded before... if a trifle loud for some folks. It is now a bit quieter, especially in the cabin (due to the tip location). I always felt that turbo cars don't really make a "sweet" song, but now mine positively sings. I love it, love it, love it.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

I can't wait to hear RUFUS in May when you guys come to DFW.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Tour18
Steve, that is waaaaaaaay cool!

And don't worry about the negative commenters. They always have something negative to say no matter what it is, except their own...
Tour18 having scrolled through the thread, I have not seen anyone commenting negatively about the setup, I hope you are not referring to my question on backpressure?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:15 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There may be a question about the "functionality" of the center exhaust. It is EXTREMELY functional, and it's function is to look bitchin'.

I'll be the first to admit that its simply different, and not the look that everyone likes or wants. I'm perfectly OK with that.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Steve - Rufus is looking great!

There are many ways to accomplish the center exhaust. Steve's way is the most simple as I have done it also. I was actually running my car for the first time in a couple months today (on jack stands of course) with the center exhaust and it has a really nice tune to it. It is not quite as loud as when I was just running a normal bypass out the stock bumper. As far as the back pressure, I am sure there is more, but it can't be as much as running a muffler???
Old 03-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
As far as the back pressure, I am sure there is more, but it can't be as much as running a muffler???
I also don't think so, and on a street car that "should" not make any difference. I would do this mod immediately if I did not have to change the bumper and all my exhaust system as I have a central rear muffler It looks great.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Phelix,

Regarding the sound: I went from the Fabspeed muffler byapss to this setup with no other changes. The car is equipped with the Ruf Sport Cats. I always got a lot of compliments on the way my car sounded before... if a trifle loud for some folks. It is now a bit quieter, especially in the cabin (due to the tip location). I always felt that turbo cars don't really make a "sweet" song, but now mine positively sings. I love it, love it, love it.
Steve, it looks fantastic. Very, very nice.
If you ever get bored, how about a little video clip on the 'ol youtube? I'd love to hear the noise, even though audio via clips is hard to relate to real life it would be a great reference point!

For my purposes, bypasses would be a bit much... this could be my dream come true.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:41 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I absolutely love it Steve. Man, your car is gorgeous!

Quick Reply: 993TT Center Exhaust