Sponsored by:

993 turbo much posted problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 AM
gary11
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil lines (check valve) update

after a week got car back,had some other repairs,rocker covers were pourus,changed loads of gaskets,replaced both intercooler pipes,and had check valves fitted, have fillled oil tank to correct level to test beyond doubt the validity of the repair,and have left oil filters as they were again to avoid confusion,at least I will know if the check valves had fixed it,bill came to £2k ouch,shouldve changed turbos with hindsight but they were in good order so didnt bother,will post results of oil lines being changed in a week or two car already feels faster ans sharper on the throttle so fingers crossed will be OK,I hope so if this issue does continue I will sell it and go back to N/A one,cheers chaps
Old 03-31-2008, 12:46 PM
gary11
Instructor

Originally Posted by dfsmith2
Put the check valves in, had the same problem with mine and it was diving me crazy. Tried all the advise, too full, wrong oil, it's normal etc..... Checkvalves fixed it 100% and the performance went back to original now that my o2 sensors and intake etc were not covered in oil.

Dave
dave did you have to change any sensors ect after fitting check lines Ive now got a co sensor (heating) fault throwing ce light,did your boost rate/performance change noticeably,mine has,will let you know about smoke issue after a few miles,thanks Dave
Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
mcgeordie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary, thanks for the update. Mine was in the garage last week, rocker covers changed, the intercooler and all the pipes cleaned out of any oil the oil change with new genuine equipment filters. My tech said the turbos were okay although on his advice won't fit the check valve kit until they are either rebuilt or upgraded, he felt the chance of getting a good seal was a challenge. The good news is so far no smokey start ups but it would be good to continue to compare notes!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 PM
gary11
Instructor

hi Dave,I had mine cleaned out three times! gets an expensive two monthly job,turbos have to come off to fit pipes so able to effect a good seal,I hope?,shame anoying design fault has spoilt first year of ownership,but if its fixed will forgive what is a great car,
gary
Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM
dfsmith2
Track Day

I had mine cleaned and check valves installed in the fall, I took it out of hibernation last weekend for the first time and it was 100% smoke free still and the performance is all in. I did not have to replace o2 sensors etc.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:48 AM
gary11
Instructor

still no smoke!
,due to the smoke issues went over to 15-50 mob1 any idea if it is still the right weight of oil or shall I run it a bit lighter? I get a lot more gurgling on cold mornings with the thicker oil,thought summer was here last week now they reckon snow today good old uk weather!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Stay with the 15/50, that with the check valves is a great combo.. Glad to here the check valves worked for you. Just make sure when you have the next oil service, the tech does not over tighten the engine oil filter...When the oil is washing through the intake the octane rating is also going down. This is a potential for detonation. My car also felt much more responsive. I Cleaned the intercooler out with 2 gallons of alcohol, what a mess that was. The pipes and hoses also were a mess as well. Almost 2 years now and still no smoke and oil in the intercooler..
Mike

Last edited by Barney1; 04-06-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary - your tech told you the turbos needed to be removed to refit the pressure hoses? Sounds unecessary. I just R and Rd mine with the turbos in place and they've held up fine with .8 bar.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:02 AM
gary11
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Gary - your tech told you the turbos needed to be removed to refit the pressure hoses? Sounds unecessary. I just R and Rd mine with the turbos in place and they've held up fine with .8 bar.

No I had the turbo to intercooler hoses changed as well as a few other jobs,I also had the revised oil feedlines to the turbos fitted with check valves,I am resonably sure the turbos do have to come off to do this,my own workshops didnt want to do so local indie fitted them for me fingers crossed will be ok,got some issues with a couple of sensors throwing c/e light now ,new co sensors being fitted as we speak! saw a glimmer of 0.9bar th other day as when i first brought her!(obviously before c/elight came on!)
gary
Old 04-10-2008, 05:38 AM
gary11
Instructor

Thumbs up

changed co sensor,light been off for a couple of days now,the av mpg has shot up to the giddy heights of 15.9 mpg never seen numbers like that for my car its nearly economical!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 AM
gary11
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Barney1
Stay with the 15/50, that with the check valves is a great combo.. Glad to here the check valves worked for you. Just make sure when you have the next oil service, the tech does not over tighten the engine oil filter...When the oil is washing through the intake the octane rating is also going down. This is a potential for detonation. My car also felt much more responsive. I Cleaned the intercooler out with 2 gallons of alcohol, what a mess that was. The pipes and hoses also were a mess as well. Almost 2 years now and still no smoke and oil in the intercooler..
Mike

thanks Mike mine is much more responsive too also was full of oil it was everwhere I feel it had contaminated one of my sensors,funny it never threw the light before,once it was all cleaned out then light came on changed sensor cleared codes hope its now ok!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 AM
gary11
Instructor

Thumbs up

She flies now different car and 17.8mpg!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like my car, Gary. I finally got around to cleaning out the pressure hoses (I'd already cleaned the I/C, but that's a moot point when there's still oil in the hoses), replacing the O2 sensors, and changing the MAF and it feels like a different car. SO much more responsive, and I get 21mpg on the highway at around 80mph.

Quick Reply: 993 turbo much posted problem!