Speedline Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Speedline Wheels

I recall a thread a while back (within the last year, though) in which somebody had bought and perhaps refinished a set of Speedline wheels for their TT. I did a search, but couldn't find the thread I'm thinking of. Anyone have a link or pics?

Thanks,
Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
race.it
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching for the similar thread, can remember it but can not find it.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

is this it?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, there is quite an ongoing discussion now on the 964 turbo section, the 911 turbo section, and the 993 section about Speedline wheels, restoration, repair sources for parts.

Is any body running Speedline wheels larger than the normal 8 & 10's? I had parts at one time to make 8.5 and 11's x 18 but instead made 9.25 and 11.25 with offset for 930's. To make the wide rear wheels I bought from Ryan Thompson used 6" outer rims, and had custom made 5.25" inner hoops to make these rims. I have been refinishing bolts and supplying new nuts for either sets of wheels I have been restoring or for owners refurbishing their wheels.

Jim
805-498-7261
Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
race.it
Instructor

mine are not exactly speedlines by porsche, I have the speedlines by techart, but I am assuming that they are very similar to refurb if required, the strange thing is though I think I need to buy a full set of bolts as the ones on the wheels look very strange (no head just a raised line across)

is there anymore threads on refurbishing split rims, i want to get as much information on the subject as i can before starting...

also I am in the uk so some of the shops that get mentioned in the US are not an option for me due to the distance

Last edited by race.it; 01-22-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-22-2008, 04:02 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Search Speedline and have fun reading. Yes most has been covered over the year extensively as is on going now as many Speedline owners are now almost ready to restore just to get back to original specifications.

Your wheels when then first came out actually used the famous Speedline bolts with their logo, but I notice in resent pictures they have changed to a very unusual bolt head.

Good news for you is the bolt spacing and rim halves for your wheels are the same as the Speedline wheels every one else is running.

I have a set of Techart wheels made by OZ Racing. Same thing but made using OZ wheel specifications.

Jim
Old 01-22-2008, 04:04 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

How old are your wheels? Are they damaged or ravaged by weather. Can you share any pictures? thanks! Jim
jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

I'm not looking for restoration info - I don't have a set. I just remember pics in the 993TT forum of someone who had just gotten a set and mounted them. I have some recollection of them having bought the wheels used and had them refinished before he mounted them.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Campy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Charlie, I recently had a pair of Kinesis Supercups refinished and mounted...similar to Speedlines but not the same manufacturer. I have been told that the Kinesis wheels are an EXACT copy of the Speedline Supercups and that Kinesis actually paid a royalty for every set they made back to Speedline.
Here is a link to my original post...Jeff

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/364927-supercups-are-on.html
Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Jeff - that's exactly the thread I was thinking of! I remember it being a yellow car. Thanks. It's a totally different, old-school look. I love it.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 AM
race.it
Instructor

Jim, you have mail.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Sorry, looked in my email jdorociak@gmail.com and Rennlist PM's and did not see anything. Did you send it to the right address?
When I talk to guys, I am finding out that most shops that restore wheels, (high end shops want to replace every bolt/nut which is not financially feasible with Speedline bolts/nuts) the rest usually do not restore or refurbish the bolts and nuts. They usually machine polish the outer rim halves and immediately the "Speedline for Porsche" or the "Speedline for Techart" is gone and most every owner of these special wheels is immediately crushed and disappointed. This unique feature is gone and they will never be the same. The inner hoops are very seldom cleaned, sanded, or repainted, so even though the wheels have just be refurbished most can visually pick apart the job. If you are going to have them done be very specific, ask what all will be done make sure you are comfortable with the responses.

The last set of Kinesis Super Cups I had done, a decision was made not to restore nuts and bolts but to replace. These bolts are not logo bolts like the Speedlines, so I found stainless steel bolts with a 12 pt head with new nuts and that is how the wheels were assembled. Many people are removing the clear coat from the outer rims as that over the years has caused many to have their wheels refinished. It seems the clear coat after time allow moisture to get under then discoloration starts on the rim that is visable and looks unsightly. The tire guys seem to do more than their fair share of damage with installing or removing tires. They drop the sockets and or the lug nuts on the face of the wheel then it hits the rim before bouncing to the ground. Every where it hits is now a chip and things happen.

Jim
Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 PM
race.it
Instructor

ok try again, you have pm
Old 01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
race.it
Instructor

I am actually considering doing them myself, and farming out the parts to different shops, the backs to a powder coater, the centers to a wheel rfurbisher, its the rims (and the polishing) that I am having the issue with, I am thinking of polishing them myself, and then reassemble and getting a local spray shop to put lacker then over them (covering the centers like they seamed to from the factory) its just thinking of when to do it, probibly next winter.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Default wheel refinishing

When you talk about spaying with lacquer, that is what would have been used many years ago to clear coat something. Not now there are urethane clear with hardners that are actually used as well as the paint.

I personally think there is a better way.

jim

Quick Reply: Speedline Wheels