back to back with a CGT this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts
Default back to back with a CGT this morning...

I met up today with Brian from Dallas (bbs993TT), he's an RL'er and also a fellow Ruf customer. His collection includes a 993TT in stock form and a fayence yellow CGT.

we've pm'd a few times and he offered to give me a ride in his car, to which I immediately. Offhand, we talked about cars (here and there for the last month or so?) and I'm trying to convince him to ride along at the track with me some time. He's a really cool guy and we met up near the local Porsche dealership, Fart Face/Park Place.

it's my story, my pictures, and my rules, but I decided to compare the super 993 to the supercar.

well anyway- here are some pics...

So let's be fair- since my TT has enough HP to light a small town, we actually did some back to back butt dyno runs around locations which we shall not disclose.

20-80mph- the andial car is absolutely brutal, AWD really helps the traction and no TCS is needed , just a heavy foot. The CGT is really really loud and the V10 screams but it doesn't have as much torque down low and although it shifts really fast, the TCS is working immediately.

edge- 993TT. better traction and almost the same hp, better low end torque= slingshot at street speeds. TCS really kicks in and Brian doesn't do TCS off. I don't blame him.

now I'm sure at speeds from 80-150 the 993 will get destroyed due to the much better aero profile of the CGT. but for a 12 year old car, just to hang in the same league is a moral victory!

braking- CGT has PCCB and wider contact patches at all 4 corners. 993TT has brembo floaters with aluminum hats and semi-slick tires.

edge- CGT. the car weighs less and has better technology- it stops better.

exterior flair- 993tt is the ultimate expression of the porsche silhouette, instantly recognizable and iconic, will stand the test of time as what porsche is all about. CGT is a modern spaceship, designed in the autoCAD and windtunnel era.

Edge- CGT. a yellow supercar- there is no stronger visual!

porsche-ness: 993tt- air/oil cooled flat six engine, vertical windshield, rear engined. steel, glass and leather. CGT- watercooled V10, mid-engine, carbon fiber, carbon ceramic.

edge- 993tt. simply because of the air/cooled rear engine factor. also- a random guy asked us if the CGT was a ferrari. LOL bang head

Interior Flair- 993 has full leather, rollcage, and lots of dust and little grass bits from an off-track excursion I had about 8 days ago. it's called patina, right? Can hold groceries in back seat or front trunk. CGT has glorious Carbon everywhere, the whole damn thing is carbon. I want to run my hands all over the thing. Has no room anywhere for anything bigger than a football.

edge- CGT not even close! if you can buy a 400k car someone else can pick up the groceries. you've got small companies to break apart and sell, no time for mortal errands!

noise- 993 sounds like a porsche. CGT sounds like an F1 car.

edge- CGT. makes the hair stand up on my neck.

WINNER- me! I got to ride in an awesome CGT.

we hung out for about an hour, talking about cars, and how cool most of the people are in the porsche world. he made a comment about how he went to a local ferrari toy drive thing around the holidays and felt that the only reason he got the time of day was because he took his CGT.

I told him about our LA/tiki holiday party and how awesome everyone is- that we actually make genuine friendships online and he should be encouraged to participate online when he has the time. We both agreed that the info and comraderie shared between porsche people is unparalleled across any niche of people we'd ever come across.

cheers folks.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

more pics...

Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is sweet..
Old 01-13-2008, 01:04 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

What a nice combo. You guys need to come down on Sat Feb 2nd - yet another 60-130mph runoff at Hennessey's track.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:07 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

pm me directions- I have to check my schedule (I'm throwing a charity event on the 1st) but would love to go!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:08 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

barney I can't let you have all the fun! great pics from your thread btw

Last edited by C.J. Ichiban; 01-13-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:25 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the up close and personal.

If asked whether I would want to take a CGT or a 993TT/Andial, I would say, of course CGT....because I will then post it FS on Rennlist, and then I can buy a 993TT, a GT3, a GT2, and still have change left for mods and even a beater Daily Driver of some kind!!
Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

jim, as you can see from my signature I'm pretty much right there with you- I look at my RS4 as the beater/bird poo magnet.

however, if I could afford it in addition to my current stable, I absolutely would buy a CGT.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CJ - very nice writeup. It read like a very well-written comparo in a magazine, but without the nebulous metaphors and a sentence describing something as "reminiscent" of something else in every paragraph.

On a side note - get those bug guts off your mirror!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

very nice CJ btw how are you enjoying your new RS?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice pics CJ, thanks for sharing....

Couple of observations on your narrative.

up to 80mph the CGT is hindered by traction with the TC working all the way through 2nd, otherwise it would see off your 993tt.
Above 120mph a 520hp 993tt would probably be about equal to the CGT up to 185mph due to the turbo power curve and the poor drag (but awesome downforce) of the CGT.
The actual road weights of the CGT v a stock 993tt are 1472kg v 1500kg so in fact very little in it.
Tuned 993tt makes a better daily driver IMO

BTW you have more like 520 Porsche hp in your Andial FWIW - don't believe me ?, do a 60-130mph on the flat on a GPS device and come back and report
Old 01-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the pix and concise write-up, CJ. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

Nice pix and comparo.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write-up CJ. Thanks for posting. Your 993TT looks amazing. Polar Silver is such a great color. Now go get that GT! You are only young once!

-B
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

TB- you're the expert because you've got them both and have vmax'd them individually I'm sure...I have zero driving time in a cgt and yesterday was my first ride in the carbonized beauty. I can attest to one thing, my car has NO downforce with the stock aero- especially when compared to my 997GT3 that I toured through europe. this makes it nice and slippery for those airport runways but makes the pucker factor really high when coming down a straight at 120+ and having to take a downhill left turn.

I know my andial car is a rocket- and in 3 weeks I'll find out exactly how quick I can be from 60-130, and post it to the infamous thread on here. I've never come close to vmax in my car because my idea of power application thus far has been doing full power 4 wheel drifts out of corners in 3rd or 4th gear at the road course. I've driven almost all my cars long distance on desolate highways so far except this one...in my NA 993S a few years ago I hit 150mph (speedo indicated), GT3 165 on the A1 (italy/germany), RS4 over 140+ on the 8 freeway when I did 1400 miles in one day. but to go any faster than that I've got to go so far out of town and still run the risk of rear-ending a stupid SUV here in Texas (awful drivers)

the whole point of me getting the GT3RS is to track it/ daily drive and the andial now can be used more in the max speed type manner that it is more built for anyway. Maybe I will take out the super heavy seats, and get lighter wheels. As far as the car having 520hp or 571 or 630 whatever- I don't quite care. I'm certain that it's fast, time will tell exactly how much so. I still have not run the "race" ecu on 100 octane, just the normal street one on 93.

Quick Reply: back to back with a CGT this morning...