Sponsored by:

brake ducts/driving lights diy

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default brake ducts/driving lights diy

A friend of mine gave me his brake ducts that he bought but never put on either of his 993's (he has sold both his c2s and tt - thanks Darren!). I'm waiting for my oil cooler parts to come in (apparently still stuck in customs according to my emails from the courier company - more on my version of dual front oil coolers to come if I can get it to work...I'll post even if I can't get them to work!) and was going to put these in when I had the front fenders off but couldn't wait...

I believe these are from Better Bodies? needed some work to get them to fit as you can see. Painted them flat back for now. Will need to see if I like them in good light.
These don't have driving lights in them like some of the others I've seen, and in Canada, day time driving lights are apparently required. Not sure if I would have eventually got a ticket for not having driving lights but it gave me a chance to try something a little different. Went out and found these PIAA LED driving lights that are small enough to fit inside the ducts...

Not sure if I like them yet, need better pictures/daytime pictures....
What do you guys think??
Attached Images    

Last edited by Basal Skull; 01-14-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

more pics
Attached Images        
Old 01-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

It doesn't show very well in these pics but the lights don't block much of the duct at all. I only have pics of one side because I haven't put them in on the other side yet.
Attached Images    
Old 01-11-2008, 04:04 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Basal

These ducts, even without the lights, will not do anything to help brake cooling. With these lights, their functionality is literally zero. Design-wise, it is different opinions for different people. You need flexible ducting that goes from the openings into a scoop fitted to the brake discs. Gert Carnewal sells a good functional kit.

Cheers
Jean
Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like that style of duct. I prefer the Techart style, then the TTS, then the duct-only version. The LED driving lights also remind me too much of the 997TT. If you track the car a lot and don't care too much about looks, those are fine as long as you hook up the ducting. It would be fascinating if you rigged up a socket and clip-in bracket that allows you to pop the running lights out at the track for better brake cooling!

Edited to add - the ducts themselves would look fine, in my opinion, if they were painted body color.

Last edited by WHB Porsche; 01-11-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
It doesn't show very well in these pics but the lights don't block much of the duct at all. I only have pics of one side because I haven't put them in on the other side yet.
Take a look at Rufus - AR with same ducts...me thinks..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr4C3...he%20993%20c4s
Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 598 Posts

Love the ducts, hate the lights. I have even put dark tinted clear bra on my 997tt LED's to minimize their appearance. I always wondered who Porsche hired from Honda to spec those on the 997's
Old 01-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

hummm, maybe they are okay for a little added air to the oil cooler/ac? I just got a note from my secretary that the oil cooler parts are here, so they will come off anyways this weekend. Will probably put them back on for a little while anyways when/if I can get my new oil coolers to work... I think they are the same type of duct that are on Steve's Rufus. Not sure about the led lights either, will have to look at it some more in day light/washed car...
Old 01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

+1 for getting them painted
good luck with the install.
+1 for you need the ducting to help cool the brakes. I don't think it will help the oil coolers.
have fun this weekend!
Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

i think the lights look cool and LEDs help people to see you coming and get out of your way
Old 09-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

thx
Have changed quite a bit since this post now 7 years ago. Have CF bumper and hood, bumperette delete, removed the ducts and have the lights bolted directly to the upper aspect of the opening in the bumper behind some black aluminum mesh. Have gotten used to the look. Can't see as well in the pics but, the tubing for the mocal oil coolers can be seen through the opening.
Attached Images     
Old 09-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't believe how well that hood fits on the car. No gaps or anything. Where did you get it? Is it significantly lighter than the stock one?
Old 09-11-2015, 02:53 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Acropora
Can't believe how well that hood fits on the car. No gaps or anything. Where did you get it? Is it significantly lighter than the stock one?
It does fit pretty well. Unfortunately I don't know who made it. Lost 14 lbs according to my old thread which isn't huge but the stock hood felt much heavier relatively. I recall spending a fair bit of time aligning it. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

Quick Reply: brake ducts/driving lights diy