Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993tt vs 997tt impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:45 PM
nicu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can second most of what Eclou and Lat described above,however my 993tt and 997tt comparison is basis ctr2 and Rt12 Rufs - here the evolution missing(not felt enough i mean) from the Porsche respective models,excluding the 996tt "obviously", is well present on dynamics aerodynamics stability and general tightness - without going into details,the Rt12 is well superior to the ctr2 on acceleration, power and power delivery,handeling,top speed and drivability.
10 years of engineering evolution makes the diference.
Soundwise btw,both are delight though i know what was reffered to with regard to the 997tt exhoust note - a bit vegeterian.
To me both are fascinating although lookswise a do prefer the ctr2 and also for the intensity of the driving experience i would pick up the ctr2 key over the Rt12 if we are looking at a short trip ahead.
That's not an in depth analysis comparison,it's just what i think in broad terms.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicu is correct time does not stand still on the evolution of these cars.

If I can sum it up with a few words I would say "if you are quick with a 993TT or CTR-2 give yourself most of the credit, if you are quick with a 997TT or RT12 give the car most of the credit".

Happy Holidays everyone.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:24 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TB993tt
The idea of the new technology: safer in a smash, awesome aerodynamics, cleverer 4WD, easy to bump up to 540hp - appeals when written down on paper and makes the rationale of running a 993tt daily driver seem a curious decision. Can you put some meat on this ?
On paper, a 996TT or 997TT beats our 993TTs. If practicality, not emotion, is the only criteria for a Porsche and money is no object, I'd have to say 997 all the way. Even the 996 can beat the 993 for a given amount of mod $$. But neither the 996 nor the 997, in my opinion, will ever do for the heart what the 993 does.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

I find myself grabbing the keys to the 993tt 2:1 over the 997tt. Why? Even though the 993tt is less sophisticated, it is a more comfortable and tidy package as a daily driver. The HD/M030 spring combo is plenty comfortable and never unsettled in city driving, the car is physically smaller to navigate around, the visibility is excellent and even better than the 997. I think the 993 is also lower key visually (my 997 is a shocking guards red) and I don't need to take it anywhere near its performance envelope to enjoy the ride. I feel like I am going plenty fast even at the speed limit to be entertained, whereas in the 997 I need to be crushing the limit to get a smile. For some reason to me the 993tt has nothing to prove, but the 997tt has everything to prove. Sounds silly, but it is what it is IMHO.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by eclou
I feel like I am going plenty fast even at the speed limit to be entertained, whereas in the 997 I need to be crushing the limit to get a smile.
For some reason to me the 993tt has nothing to prove, but the 997tt has everything to prove. Sounds silly, but it is what it is IMHO.
Eclou, I relate to both of these ^^^ comments 100%
Felt the same way with my 996TT vs 993TT decision
Old 12-23-2007, 05:14 AM
graeme36s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q
Eclou, I relate to both of these ^^^ comments 100%
Felt the same way with my 996TT vs 993TT decision
+2 I thought very long and hard earlier this year as I wanted just one (supercar) to cherish. I had too many cars knocking around (nothing of great value) that always needed something doing to them. Half the time I'd go to tax the car to find the mot had expired.
So mumbling through the brain was 996GT2, CTR (yellow bird), 996GT3CS, 993GT2 and even the Diablo GT. The Diablo GT lost the day as it is too in your face. The GT2 too most would look like an old Porsche with a silly body kit stuck on it. The 993GT2 thankfully won the day, the hardest decision was deciding to sell the 964 3.6 turbo. That said driving the GT2 as per 964 you find that you can poodle along at sensible speeds still wearing a stupid bloody great grin
Old 12-23-2007, 06:56 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Good to hear from owners who actually have both, great input guys

I think this sentiment which seems to be echoed by most is maybe at the crux of it ?
That said driving the GT2 as per 964 you find that you can poodle along at sensible speeds still wearing a stupid bloody great grin

On a recent trip in mainland Eu I had to do ~400 miles on French RNs and Autoroute, now as a Brit one can drive at up to 190kph and get away with just a fine with no points (ask Lewis Hamilton ). 190kph on the GPS is near 200kph on the speedo which, in the 993tt is a very satisfying and exciting cruising speed, lots going on, car twitching away, slowing for slower traffic and then gunning back up to speed - I was thinking what would this be like in a 997tt ? One of the RS Tuning guys commented on their 997tt stage 1 544hp/800NM package and said that the car is so good that you are at 330kph all the time and it feels almost tame !!!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:41 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is quite true than in the 997 the sensation of speed is curiously mitigated. I find myself accidentally at 160kph+ all the time not because I am trying to push it but because the car feels like it is at 60kph. I think it has something to do with the rake of the windshield
Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
For some reason to me the 993tt has nothing to prove, but the 997tt has everything to prove.
Agreed, the 997TT is part of the current techonological race that all manufacturers are part of. For example I recently read that the 2009 ZR1 will have 620 HP and so on. The 993TT on the other hand made its mark in its day and is like a retired champ who is comfortable in his skin.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:35 PM
ncp
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Another way to look at it is the fact that the 993 (and older cars) were essentially built by hand and is 10+ year old technology. Now with all the modern manufacturing capabilities comes the ability to produce all kinds of refinement and creature comforts. With what I feel is more of an encapsulating experience that you get from the newer p-cars (996 and 997), in my opinion, Porsche engineered much of the visceral aspects of the older cars "out." Of course the newer cars are far superior technologically and performance wise, however, it feels to me like the pure pleasure of "feeling the road" has been diminished in the newer cars. The pure simplicity coupled with the exhilerating perfomance of the 993, 964's, 930's, etc. makes them feel more like a "really fast go-cart built the for road." For me, the closest to experiencing that visceral feel in a newer p-car was behind the wheel of the 997 GT3. But here again, we're dealing with a car that's been stripped of many of the creature comforts otherwise found in the newer turbo's and because of the GT3's meaty suspension, this seems to put the driver more in touch with the road. Of all the newer p-cars I've driven, I'd have to say that the new GT3 was the first to make me even consider ever parting with my current 993tt, mainly due to it's visceral, stripped down feel, reminicent of the older cars.

my 2 cents
Old 12-23-2007, 04:47 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I sold my 997Gt3 after 3 months. Very nice car, but too limited in scope for my usage. The heavy clutch, notchy shifter, squeaking brakes, and choppy ride were far closer to my track car than my other street cars. I think it will make people happy who see 8+ track weekends a year.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:53 PM
ncp
Rennlist Member

I sold my 997Gt3 after 3 months. Very nice car, but too limited in scope for my usage. The heavy clutch, notchy shifter, squeaking brakes, and choppy ride were far closer to my track car than my other street cars. I think it will make people happy who see 8+ track weekends a year.
Duly noted. Visceral but a bit too harsh for everyday driving.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ncp
Duly noted. Visceral but a bit too harsh for everyday driving.
To be fair, I could easily use the 997Gt3 as a daily driver. I used to drive a very taut E36M3 and sometimes my 944 turbo track car for commuting and both ran about 600# spring rates. My intent was to be able to take the wife out for dinner or for the wife to be able to drive it to the store, and the car did not pass that criteria. My wife is very fit but too fickle to put up with the clutch in traffic. In contrast she can do all of that in the 997tt and 993tt, and we can both enjoy them on the track as well. Happy wife = happy life.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncp
Another way to look at it is the fact that the 993 (and older cars) were essentially built by hand and is 10+ year old technology. Now with all the modern manufacturing capabilities comes the ability to produce all kinds of refinement and creature comforts. With what I feel is more of an encapsulating experience that you get from the newer p-cars (996 and 997), in my opinion, Porsche engineered much of the visceral aspects of the older cars "out." Of course the newer cars are far superior technologically and performance wise, however, it feels to me like the pure pleasure of "feeling the road" has been diminished in the newer cars. The pure simplicity coupled with the exhilerating perfomance of the 993, 964's, 930's, etc. makes them feel more like a "really fast go-cart built the for road." For me, the closest to experiencing that visceral feel in a newer p-car was behind the wheel of the 997 GT3. But here again, we're dealing with a car that's been stripped of many of the creature comforts otherwise found in the newer turbo's and because of the GT3's meaty suspension, this seems to put the driver more in touch with the road. Of all the newer p-cars I've driven, I'd have to say that the new GT3 was the first to make me even consider ever parting with my current 993tt, mainly due to it's visceral, stripped down feel, reminicent of the older cars.

my 2 cents
FYI, the 993 was hardly build "by hand", japanese robot efficiency had already a major impact on 993's, combined with a last hurah aircooled engineering effort to guarantee success. Development of the 996 /986 cars was already in full swing, thanks to the foresight(and deep pockets) of the Porsche/Piech family plus a certain stubborness to not give in under any circumstances to the standing Daimler offer when they were literally on their knees in the early 90's.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:32 AM
ncp
Rennlist Member

FYI, the 993 was hardly build "by hand", japanese robot efficiency had already a major impact on 993's, combined with a last hurah aircooled engineering effort to guarantee success. Development of the 996 /986 cars was already in full swing, thanks to the foresight(and deep pockets) of the Porsche/Piech family plus a certain stubborness to not give in under any circumstances to the standing Daimler offer when they were literally on their knees in the early 90's.
Thanks, interesting information. Obviously, unless a manufacturer doesn't use tools, "built by hand" is a relative term. Then again, it's incredible to see footage from the mid 90's at Weissach where old world artisans had been working somewhere along an assembly line at Porsche for years, working with their hands if you will, some of whom had been on the job for decades. Nostalgic and pretty neat stuff.

Happy wife = happy life.
Amen.

Quick Reply: 993tt vs 997tt impressions