Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Roof, Group buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd like to do this sunroof mod, maybe a battery and hood as well. That'd be almost 100lbs right there. The only thing is I don't feel much difference when there's one passenger (175#) vs none on board.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jussi
I don't mean that 022A version. I found another source from UK.
Check out this:
http://www.performance-trim.com/oneoffs.html
Maybe Toby knows that place?
Never heard of them - look like they have quite a bit of experience...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Jussi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anybody else interested in that Lightweight Carbon Roof skin?

Base price is £345 but he promised to give discount from 5 pieces 10% and from 10 pieces 15%.

Here is little description from that roof written by that company's guy:
"I'm not sure what the final weight of the carbon roof skin is - but be assured that it will be lightest we can make it without compromising stiffness. (probably 1.5 - 2.5 kgs).

The carbon part will cover the roof between the rain gutters, from the front windscreen to the rear windscreen and partly down the 'a' and 'c' pillars.

To fit the roof, the first step would be to cut the majority of metal out of the existing roof, leaving about 50mm margin around the edge (so the main structural members aren't cut). The carbon fibre will be bonded to this section using panel adhesive (you could use rivets too if you'd prefer).

The carbon will be about 1.5mm thick around the edges. At the front and sides this edge is covered by the rain gutters and windscreen seal. At the back and around the 'a' pillar there will be this 1.5mm lip. It'd be up to you how this lip is blended into the bodywork - either a small abount of sealer, or a bodyshop could fill the gap and paint to make a seamless join.

"

He will send photos me later.

so, what do you say? or
Old 12-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope I don't regret this statement... I live and work within 5 miles of these folks. I will try to help out as best I can.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by phelix
I hope I don't regret this statement... I live and work within 5 miles of these folks. I will try to help out as best I can.
Thanks ,
could you have a talk with this Mike and ask more about this CF roof.
Tell regards from me
I like to buy one if it is good quality and fits ok.
And if you have possibility, I think that his 911 is worth of seeing because of all those CF parts like wings, bonnet, bumpers, roof, floor, bulkheads and doors..
Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What info are you after?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Jussi
Pro

Actually, first of all, I would like to see photos of car(his car) where has that roof - that would tell more than 1000 worlds - like is said.

But also like to know how it does affect to car's handling, I mean that strengthness of the car and also what about safety things..
I have asked quite a lot from him already but if you have possibility to go there, you could ask about that part as you would have been buying it for yourself and listen to him and think - is that worth of mod.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is anybody else interested in that Lightweight Carbon Roof skin?

Base price is £345 but he promised to give discount from 5 pieces 10% and from 10 pieces 15%.

Here is little description from that roof written by that company's guy:
"I'm not sure what the final weight of the carbon roof skin is - but be assured that it will be lightest we can make it without compromising stiffness. (probably 1.5 - 2.5 kgs).

The carbon part will cover the roof between the rain gutters, from the front windscreen to the rear windscreen and partly down the 'a' and 'c' pillars.

To fit the roof, the first step would be to cut the majority of metal out of the existing roof, leaving about 50mm margin around the edge (so the main structural members aren't cut). The carbon fibre will be bonded to this section using panel adhesive (you could use rivets too if you'd prefer).

The carbon will be about 1.5mm thick around the edges. At the front and sides this edge is covered by the rain gutters and windscreen seal. At the back and around the 'a' pillar there will be this 1.5mm lip. It'd be up to you how this lip is blended into the bodywork - either a small abount of sealer, or a bodyshop could fill the gap and paint to make a seamless join.

"

He will send photos me later.

so, what do you say? or
Jussi

I say definate I read the M3 link you gave and that was a nice job but it was factory engineered retro fit with a proper brace welded across the middle of the roof.
What the guy is suggesting above may be acceptable for a track car with substantial roll cage and tubular chassis strengthening, but without....

I always wondered why noone had come up with a straight rip out the sunroof panel and mechanism and replace with a CF panel - one would have thought this could be done fairly easily and surely save some decent weight ?

I am like you, never use the sunroof and Porsche UK would not (and will not) let owners specify sunroof delete on the turbos
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm considering this.
http://rennspd.com/P_Detail.asp?PID=655&Task=STD
Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Acropora
That would be also good choice for lightening roof..
but they have also this
http://rennspd.com/P_Detail.asp?PID=637
Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Acropora
Brad
I would not fit a $150 piece of fibre glass right where my head was - proper structural strength CF/Kevlar is what is needed al la CGT

Wonder what the weight savings would be after ripping out the steel sunroof panel and all the mechanism.

How well could the panel be secured -remember MOD "lost" his sunroof at 180mph -a CF/Kevlar replacement would need to be properly bonded in place. I would only really be confident if a German company had done it and had TUV approval.....
Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Jussi
Pro

So which one is safer, whole CF roof fixed with rivets and clue or that smaller run-roof replace which flies away above 180mph
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

So which one is safer, whole CF roof fixed with rivets and clue or that smaller run-roof replace which flies away above 180mph
I would take a Structural CF/Kevlar quality replacement panel, bonded with the correct glue over the "loose" OEM panel....
Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The sunroof inset panels available here in the use fit from the inside of the car bonded to the underside of the roof. If you use structural adhesive, the panel itself will crack before it would fly out. Similarly, if you replace the entire metal roof and bond it to the metal with structural adhesive, it isn't going to come off. In fact, I bonded my metal roof onto my car when I replaced the roof.

Just as reference, in PCA club racing, if you have a non metal roof, they require wrist restraints to be used. I agree that I would rather have something strong above me than a low cost wet layup fibreglass or CF roof.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phelix
I checked the air pressure inside the car today; between at rest and at 175 mph there's a drop in air pressure of about 8 millibar.

So sunroofs are getting pulled out by low pressure from outside of the car, presumably coming off the windscreen?
Phelix pointed out on his and my sunroof how the leading edge was about 4mm prominent after a high speed run. You could push it back flush but it is not encouraging to see and the noise it makes as you go past 170mph makes you grit your teeth waiting for the roof to do a "MOD500" !!!

I would love to rip out the stock roof and mechanism and have a proper bit of Kevlar/carbon glued in its place -this would save a bit of weight and make things much quieter over 150mph - any ideas who could do this sort of thing in the UK or EU ?

Quick Reply: Carbon Roof, Group buy ?