Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Intercooler & Intake testing ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
vrus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to be clear.. I put the prices down for the 2 parts to show what I had invested in these...

I dont expect anyone to buy them but I did want the money paid as a security and would refund it once the testing was complete. Unless the person wanted the products at which point they would just keep them and I'll make another set over the winter.

If it wasnt $4K worth of product I wouldnt worry about it...
Old 11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Vic,
I want a security deposit for that FPR, lol.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Funny, another (UK) Company who posts on RL is looking for an RL 993tt owner to test a new intercooler he is fabricating - I presume he will be providing it on a trust basis...........

vrus, I guess the list for motivated potential testers will be narrowed down somewhat since those of us who already have intercooler solutions will see no benefit in forking out for something which may or may not work and all the potential problems which come with shipping, damage etc etc.... Having said that I can see that you are just being super cautious -maybe I am too naive
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Thanks for the clarification Victor. I believe I'll pass.
I was just volunteering to be a mule, and as Toby said, there are too many potential pitfalls in the forking over of cash, shipping hassles, obtaining a data logger etc, not to mention my impoverished condition.
I use my real name as my login and have been around for a while, but your caution is completely understandable considering the $$$$ involved. Hope the 'cooler is as good as it looks. Keep us all informed.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Victor,

I would test them in a heartbeat buddy if I had my 993. My purchase will be delayed until February. Good luck with the build. How's the GT2 coming along?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:23 PM
vrus
Racer

Sorry for the lack of updates. I get tied up with other work and I forget to come by and visit from time to time.

I wanted to post some updates on this thread to get some input from others who have experimented with aftermarket intercooler setups. I also wanted to share the results of the tests I performed so far.

My car's current engine configuration is:

- Stock 3.6L
- K24 turbos making 17psi boost
- Fabspeed Cat bypass pipes & Mufflers
- Rook Racing ECU
- GT2 EVO cams
- Solid lifter conversion
- Forge Bypass valves
- Cone air filter intake (testing this setup as well)

The device I am using to measure the temperature readings is a Davtron 308FD Aircraft quality dual temperature intercooler gauge. It is the same unit that Andial used on their setups. This gauge measures both in, out, and differential temps. Below is a pic of the gauge installed in my car.

Here is a picture of the intercooler with the temperature probes installed.

Here is what the intercooler looks like installed in my car.

Before I go on and post the data I will also state that my current intercooler setup is not optimal. I am in the process of making an aluminum "cover" that will surround the intercooler and direct airflow only to the intercooler surface and to the intake (just like the stock cover). I am sure this will improve the cooling aspect to some degree. I will redo these tests once the cover is made and installed. For now, here is some data that I captured manually while driving the car and recording the info.

Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time or energy to do these tests by first using the stock intercooler.. I know there is enough data out there on how well the stock unit performs so focusing on the aftermarket one is what I ended up doing.

I am going to capture this live on video once I can get a friend to come with me in the car. This way I can provide some "real time" info on temperature, recovery time, etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts and input...
Old 08-01-2009, 08:58 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would love to see data for a longer on boost period where heat soak would come into play. Almost any intercooler will work for a quick squirt. Track or runway would probably be the only way to do this and stay alive and out of jail!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice set-up and thanks for sharing. Have to go with 911/Q45's comment though; my IATs would go another 15 deg C higher in fifth than they did in third. Also curious how fast those thermocouples respond to the rapid temp changes seen between on and off boost; the ECU uses a special air temp sensor that has a very low thermal inertia.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by phelix
Also curious how fast those thermocouples respond to the rapid temp changes seen between on and off boost; the ECU uses a special air temp sensor that has a very low thermal inertia.
I think this is key here, those Andial gauges are slow in reacting compared to the sensor the ECU sees. You really need a hammer or Durametric to see the real intake temp, it will be higher than the Davtron reading.....
Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
vrus
Racer

Thanks for the responses guys.

In regards to the sensors, they are aircraft sensors which are very sensitive to heat.. as far as I can tell they are a good quality but I dont have the specifics on their thermal efficiency..

Here in Toronto where I live its hard to do anything more than a 3rd gear pull.. If we get caught going 50km/h over the limit your license is automatically suspended; not a risk I am willing to take on a public road.

I was hoping we could compare my 3rd gear readings to others who have either stock or aftermarket coolers.

If Durametric or Hammer is the standard around here, I would be willing to do the datalogging so we could compare to other known data.. Where can I get one of these devices?

Are you guys used to seeing 6.5 - 10deg over ambient because I was very impressed when I saw those numbers on an air/air intercooler. I didn't think any of the current offerings were providing this type of benefit.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

This is nice data Vrus. From memory (my car is out of commission right now...), my AIT's off my obd2 "scan gauge II" (in say 20 degree C ambient) ran in the low to mid 30's C in third gear and low to mid 40's in 4th with a stock intercooler. The rate of change is quite quick as well towards the top of the rpm range. But there is so much variables like load, turbos, weather etc. It would be most helpful if there is a back to back stock vs upgraded...
Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vrus

Here in Toronto where I live its hard to do anything more than a 3rd gear pull.. If we get caught going 50km/h over the limit your license is automatically suspended; not a risk I am willing to take on a public road.

Agreed about the draconian laws.
I just had my ECU remapped back to the original Euro 98 Octane 531 PS by RS Tuning and want to do a 60-130 run on my XA-22 and will probably wait till I visit the US. The car was remaped for a US 91 Octane before being shipped to the US.

I have the Durametric hook up for a PC if you would like to borrow it. The software is a free download to your laptop.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vrus
Thanks for the responses guys.

In regards to the sensors, they are aircraft sensors which are very sensitive to heat.. as far as I can tell they are a good quality but I dont have the specifics on their thermal efficiency..

I was hoping we could compare my 3rd gear readings to others who have either stock or aftermarket coolers.

If Durametric or Hammer is the standard around here, I would be willing to do the datalogging so we could compare to other known data.. Where can I get one of these devices?

Are you guys used to seeing 6.5 - 10deg over ambient because I was very impressed when I saw those numbers on an air/air intercooler. I didn't think any of the current offerings were providing this type of benefit.
Although not apples to apples have a look at https://rennlist.com/forums/5380527-post24.html and you can see what happens to IAT vs ambient (about 17 deg C) in different gears. The turbos are UMW stage 2 which I believe add more heat to the charge air than stock K16s.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want someone to compare it to stock on a track just lemme know.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Not hating Vrus since I follow and admire your work on the E55's. There are some flaws in your testing and design that I should point out.

First when doing pulls on the dyno (or open road) you will find the rear half of the IC is cooler than the front half. This is because the inlets are centered on the core and have an easier time making the journey to the outlet tank. The other is related to your position of the temp sensor. As referenced above the rear half is cooler where you are taking the readings from. Look at the factory location and you will see its much closer to the throttle body.

You will realize a major improvement if you repositioned the inlet tubes closer to the rear of the car for better distrabution through the core.

Mad props for your efforts and once again I only want to share to help.

Quick Reply: *** Intercooler & Intake testing ***