*** Intercooler & Intake testing ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:52 PM
vrus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *** Intercooler & Intake testing ***

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I'd been working on a few parts for the 993TT.. I had a custom made intercooler and Intake for my car that I wanted to do some testing with.

My car has been in the shop for weeks because I've been chasing around a power loss.. I didnt want to bother doing any testing until I knew the car was 100% healthy..

Yesterday we got hit with our first snowfall so it is going to be difficult to do the testing now..

Is there anyone who lives in a warm climate that would be willing to do some before/after testing on a new intercooler setup and Intake setup ?

The fabricator saw +1psi at the throttle body, and there was an 11.4% increase in flow on the bench for the intercooler.

$3300 for intercooler
$385 for intake

Here are some pics:

Last edited by vrus; 08-01-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:04 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

I would but my car is stock. This would be better on a car with bigger turbos
Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

What kind of testing do you have in mind?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:55 PM
vrus
Racer

I was going to test it on my own car in stock form to see if I saw any benefit out of it.. I believe there will be but I think more of a benefit would be seen on a modified car where heat and power was much higher than a stock one...

Originally Posted by eclou
I would but my car is stock. This would be better on a car with bigger turbos
My thought was to take a datalogger and do before/after IAT and boost readings.. I was also going to install my DualTemp intercooler guage to measure inlet and outlet differential temps. That will tell us how much more efficient this unit is over stock.

With respect to the intake, the same before/after IAT, boost and MAF signal readings.. Also do a timed 3rd gear pull to redline and see if there is any added benefit in the extra airflow. If it performs well it will be a great sub $500 mod.

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
What kind of testing do you have in mind?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:17 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Well I have two modified cars and live in a warmer clime. But I do not have a stock ICU or any of those measuring devices or gauges.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:29 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

vrus
You probably didn't see it, but I had a GruppeM cone type intake tested on the engine dyno and it LOST 10hp compared to the factory MAF panel intake, they also tried a BMC GT3 type cone and that also lost power -free information for you - I bet I am the only one who has ever tested this type of intake in a 100% meaningful way

Re the intercooler, it shouldn't matter if the engine is tuned or not as long as the measuring is done accurately ie using the IAT which the Motronic sees (via the OBD port) and subecting the stock and modified to exactly the same test within hours of each other.....

When I tested the Cargraphic one vs stock, the diffrence was measurable even just cruising at 100mph with almost no boost !!

Reading the peak IAT observed during a run up in 4th gear to maximum revs will give a good indication
Old 11-24-2007, 03:24 PM
vrus
Racer

Scott,

The fact that your car is modified and with a 3.8L all done up is just perfect! All you would need is a OBDII datalogger which are readily available everywhere and fairly cheap.. (sub $200). Maybe someone close to you even has one we could use to do the testing??

If this intercooler really works as well as I expect, it will be a product that all modified cars can benefit from and for a reasonable price.

I think like TB said below, if you can do a 3rd gear or 4th gear pull and log the results before & after the intercooler swap, it will give us the information we need.

So basically, you would have to:

- Take your car with your normal setup and do a 3rd gear blast to redline and record the IAT & Boost readings.
- Stop somewhere where you can re/re the intercooler with the new unit
- Immediately go back out to the same place and redo the 3rd gear blast to redline

NOTE: 3rd gear might be too short to get enough samples so you might have to do it in 4th gear like Toby suggests.

We can then take the before & after data and have it plotted on a graph for comparison.

Well I have two modified cars and live in a warmer clime. But I do not have a stock ICU or any of those measuring devices or gauges.
Thanks for the input Toby!

I am not a big fan of the conical intakes, but, I was told that the preliminary testing that was done with this setup showed a big increase in flow and some power also.. I questioned the hot air being sucked in, and I was told that on the dyno it will heat soak because the car is not moving, but if it is tested on the 1/4mile track or at speed on the highway, the intake makes power.

Originally Posted by TB993tt
vrus
You probably didn't see it, but I had a GruppeM cone type intake tested on the engine dyno and it LOST 10hp compared to the factory MAF panel intake, they also tried a BMC GT3 type cone and that also lost power -free information for you - I bet I am the only one who has ever tested this type of intake in a 100% meaningful way

Re the intercooler, it shouldn't matter if the engine is tuned or not as long as the measuring is done accurately ie using the IAT which the Motronic sees (via the OBD port) and subecting the stock and modified to exactly the same test within hours of each other.....

When I tested the Cargraphic one vs stock, the diffrence was measurable even just cruising at 100mph with almost no boost !!

Reading the peak IAT observed during a run up in 4th gear to maximum revs will give a good indication
Old 11-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OBD dataloggers have a fair bit of lag because of a low data rate shared by a large number of parameters so they're not great for real time work. That said, if your test conditions are repeatable the errors/lag will more or less cancel out.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Both of my cars have Andial intercoolers. It would not give you a comparison to stock.
4th gear to redline might be a little tough where I live.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:50 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Both of my cars have Andial intercoolers. It would not give you a comparison to stock.
Scott, surely you can find a secluded small straight ? it takes about a fifth of a mile to run out 4th gear and get back to legal speeds that is the "beauty" of 580hp
Old 11-25-2007, 04:21 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

5 AM on the 101 ought to do it.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
vrus
Racer

Scott,

This is getting better and better.. The fact that you have an Andial intercooler will tell us how well this stacks up against the competition's modified unit. If we are showing gains against the Andial one, then the difference to the stock unit will be an even bigger gap.

If it doesnt work and perform as expected then you can ship it back to me and I'll refund the money. Does that sound fair?

Old 11-25-2007, 06:12 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Um, I thought you just needed a test mule?
I'm not in the market for an intercooler. I'm functionally impoverished until I sell Frank.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:30 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think he's kidding Scott.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Doh!
Q maybe you should do it as you live in a slightly more rural area.

Quick Reply: *** Intercooler & Intake testing ***