Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil up in intercooler...input?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007 | 04:24 PM
gary11
Instructor

Question oil!!!!!!!!!

were you getting a spattering of oil over your bumper and spoiler,did you drain turbo sumps also,I gave mine a long run about 50m continuously over boosting it in 5 and 6 gear building boost to peak and then again and so on to relly get the turbos working,when I stopped the smoke was frightening but it got most of the oil no issues now ,but not 100% with my boost levels thru the rev range,
goodluck
gary
Old 11-10-2007 | 01:22 PM
mcgeordie
Track Day

Gary, not had the problem of oil on the back of the car, just smoke on start up. Haven't drained the turbo sumps yet, so I'll do that next and take it for a run if the weather holds tomorrow - can't believe it was threatening to snow yesterday!
Old 11-10-2007 | 01:28 PM
gary11
Instructor

Thumbs up oil

I know winter sucks good luck with the car,
nb all probs now gone on my car,I would say I think the oil was probably as much to blame,(millers 5/60 racing oil),
now on mobil 1 15/50 as advised,
all the best Gary
Old 11-10-2007 | 01:28 PM
race.it
Instructor

anybody know how easy it is to change the intercooler hoses? I have just received two new ones, as one is already cracked (on the top where the intercooler joins) I was going to have a go and fit them myself, is that wise?

if anybody can point me in the direction of simple instructions I would appreciate it

thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2007 | 01:32 PM
gary11
Instructor

Question cytefx

re factory upgrade have got the same but 430,what is your bonnet sticker engine code? curious to see if its different to std
gary
Old 11-10-2007 | 05:01 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cytefx
anybody know how easy it is to change the intercooler hoses? I have just received two new ones, as one is already cracked (on the top where the intercooler joins) I was going to have a go and fit them myself, is that wise?

if anybody can point me in the direction of simple instructions I would appreciate it

thanks in advance
Remove the intercooler, remove the rear wheels, remove the mufflers, easier if you remove the rear bumper but not mandatory. Undo the lower clamps, pull out the old hoses. Tough to get the new hoses fitted on the turbos, silicone spray can help, also loosening the motor mounts for more clearance. Put it all back together.
Old 11-11-2007 | 05:41 AM
race.it
Instructor

my car has the following that relate to the 450 upgrade, on the bonnet label and also on the handbook etc

XE7 - Extra oil cooler for the 993 Turbo S
XLB - Twin pipe exhaust 993 turbo S (although this is currently in the garage)
XLC - K24 turbos inc adapted ECU for 993 Turbo S

I am still deciding if I want to attempt to replace the hoses myself, probably chicken out and get a iny to fit them.
Old 11-11-2007 | 06:41 AM
gary11
Instructor

Thumbs up specs

thanks for reply will compare notes,good luck with hoses have you upgraded them or like for like,its sounds an easy job but you will need plenty of room,these jobs inmho are ok till you get freezing cold middle of winter laying underneath,scratch bumper getting it of on your own ect,if you have a TT your not short of a few quid I think a good Indy is the way to go youve only got to break off a 10 yr old stud or something and it will end up in the indy anyway!! Also if they see any thing untoward oil where it shoudnt be ect they can advise,all of this only my opinion after 25yrs in the trade!
good luck
Gary
Old 11-11-2007 | 11:20 AM
aperalta
Instructor

ok guys,
I have heard many of you state that these turbos in our cars are are very durable. My mechanic said the same, so I am glad to report that this is not the issue as earlier posted. That being said, I did rack up a pretty large bill on other items that need to be done--hey it's only money right. Here is what's being done:
1. major service 60k
2. clutch and flywheel--I have decided to go with LWFW and Sachs racing clutch that I have read so much about.
3.updated intercooler hoses (orange end)
4. 996tt check valves installed in oil lines

Of course my excitement is to see if/how more responsive the car is with this new LWFW set up. Many of you have stated a marked difference in acceleration--we'll see. Thanks for all your responses.
Old 11-11-2007 | 02:34 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Remove the intercooler, remove the rear wheels, remove the mufflers, easier if you remove the rear bumper but not mandatory. Undo the lower clamps, pull out the old hoses. Tough to get the new hoses fitted on the turbos, silicone spray can help, also loosening the motor mounts for more clearance. Put it all back together.
It's worth cleaning things off thoroughly before starting this job; you don't want dirt and grit falling into the compressor exits.
Old 11-11-2007 | 03:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You never want to spray any lube or penetrant on the hoses or compressor housing discharge connections. If you need some sort of lube. Spray some water or good o'l spit..

Quick Reply: oil up in intercooler...input?