Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes Please............
Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice weather in Arizona. On my trip, I saw a Ferrari Enzo (Lotus Arizona have it for sale for a cool $1million), a Carrerra GT, numerous Bentleys, a MB SLR and a couple of others that have escaped my memory (Ferraris, Lambos etc.) The Lotus Arizona dealer is right beside the private airport runway. Never saw so many private jets in my life. The Enzo is on display at the airport departure and arrival lounge. You guys in the USA definitely have too much money.

The car checked out good. I touched every inch of the body, peered into every nook and cranny reviewed the records in detail, took it for a long test drive, checked the turbos which were .8 bar at 4000 rpm in 3rd gear and did the deal. The guy who did the PPI for me also did it for the previous owner and the copy was in the file. The guys at Lotus Arizona are good to deal with. I got a price which I believe is fair, given the condition of the car. I wondered why the file was "2 inches thick". A lot of the repairs have been to the air conditioner which cannot stand up to the Arizona heat. Not such a problem in Ontario where I probably won't put more than 3k miles on it annually. Car needs a respray which I will do next summer and not much else. It has been very well looked after especially in the key areas such as regular oil changes. As well, the 60,000 mile service was done at 45,000 and the guy spent $6,500 on it to replace tons of stuff. Apparently he did it earlier because he was taking it on a 3,000 mile trip and didn't want any problems. The car is pretty well stock which is what I wanted. I'm thinking of putting a short shifter on it before I bring it up and perhaps re doing the suspension. It's not that I necessarily wanted a stock car. What I wanted was the fun of doing some of the mods myself. Any recommendations on the short shifter and the suspension? I'm going to start doing research in the Rennlist archives now but any pointing in the right direction would be great.

Danny, hopefully we can touch base in the spring when our cars come out. In the meantime, I have a very nice 993 to sell.

Sean
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Congrats to a happy ending and new beginning.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I know the feeling all-too-well, you're gonna love this car!

I believe the 993RS short shifter can be used, but it projects underneath the car lower than the underbody and one must "dimple" the transmission tunnel with a mallet to give it the proper clearance.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:57 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Congrats Sean on a great car!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

Congrats,
glad to hear everything is going good so far. I would have the mods done locally. that way if you need an adjustment you can bring it back. knowing you are shipping to Canada they might do a quick job knowing you can't bring it back easily. Courtney at autowerks is highly recommended for the pss9 as well as other mods (although I personally have never dealt with him)
I recommend tfx for shipping. pm me if you have any q's
I noticed porsche club had a meet there yesterday, guess you missed it.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sean,

Congrats on your purchase of what sounds like a nice example. Regarding the short-shifter, WHB Porsche has the correct info. I had the RS shifter on Waldo (my previous 993TT), and although I liked it, it wasn't a "night-and-day" difference in throw. I have an RS shifter ready to install in Rufus, but damn... the thing shifts like butter, and the shifter is still in the box. The RS shifter is very inexpensive... just don't expect miracles. On very low cars, the "dimple" can drag on speed bumps, bend, and lock your shifter out of some gears until you hammer on it some more.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

That's probably good advice Danny.

I heard about an RS shifter on another car. The guy who looked at it said the dimple looked like someone had banged at the underbody with a ballpean hammer and the car looked like it was pregnant. Maybe I'll stay away from the RS shifter. With the sport seats I felt like my hand was going to jam into the bolster every time I went into 2nd so that's why I'm considering a short shifter. On the other hand, the transmission was really smooth compared to my 993 and I don't necessarily wnat to lose that. I think I'll wait until spring and decide what to do then if anything.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sean
Old 11-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

I left Phoenix at 6:00 am on Sunday. The Porsche Club did have a meet on Saturday but I was too busy to go to it. I spent 7 hours looking at the car, its records and driving it.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Finally got the deal done. Waiting for delivery. Six inches of snow now turned to ice on my 100 yard long driveway. Could be interesting. Can't wait though.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

WHAT was the delay? I would be going nuts by now

It is AWD so NP getting it up the driveway
Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

congrats!! Good to hear the car is going to a good home!!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

The delay was at the shipping co's end. I was particular about who I used and they are busy. I won't get to drive it now anyway so I guess it doesn't matter that much. Would be nice to at least look at it though.

I see that Scottsdale Lotus (no affiliation)has a 15k mile guards 993TT on e BAy. They apparently want 79k for it. I don't know if it is any good but the price may be pretty good compared to other low mile cars presently on the market.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue, my car sat for 2 weeks+ gathering dust before the shippers could get it. Well worth the wait! Congrats on the tt, I'm sure it will still feel surreal even once you're sitting in it!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

be sure to take pics of the unloading...very memorable. you may find yourself spending lots of time in the garage this winter not believing it is your car! ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: Lotus Arizona 96 TT Scottsdale PPI