Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Turbo -S Front lower spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 01:30 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 502 Posts

I hate to bump a 13yr old thread but being I stumbled upon it, I figured I'd provide my own evidence (also everyone loves photos).

As everyone else has stated, the factory part is not fiberglass. It is the same exact flexible polyurethane material as the bumper (PUR). The part photographed above is certainly not a factory Porsche part.

Below are photos of the authentic Porsche part. In the last photo you can see just how flexible it is. Lifting one end with a finger or two results in the whole thing bending like a wet noodle.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:46 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I will chime in. The pics above look just like the one I installed on my turbo. Purchased from Suncoast. I dont think its a pure polyurethane part. The stamp PUR GF appears to indicate its some kind of poly glass fiber mix, which makes sense. Not quite the same as modern PU bumpers but has some flex.

Additionally, the S lip needs to be bonded to the OE bumper using adhesive. 3M tape will not hold it. I used 3M windshield weld which is similar to BMW Beta Link which is similar to many body panel adhesives, flexible and strong. If I had to do the install over again, I would have paid someone knowledgable. The edge of the lip is supposed to fit in the groove on the front bumper which makes the panel gap easy.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:09 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 502 Posts

True, PUR-GF means it is polyurethane with some glass fiber reinforcement mixed in (typically 15-20%) but it is certainly very flexible and not at all like the photo's posted by Felix, which are purely fiberglass + resin construction that cures rock hard.

Also, FWIW, I looked at my 993 bumper which is presently off the car and it is not PUR. It is stamped PP/EPDM which is polypropylene (PP) and is mixed with an additive of ethylene/ propylene/diene (EPDM) which is a form of rubber.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:54 PM
Goose 993
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Just picked up the front lip and can confirm it is not fiberglass. Looks exactly like BBT's. I also ordered the Aerokit 1B sideskirts, which are not fiberglass either.

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo -S Front lower spoiler