Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993TT in higher speeds..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Roland (Rufracer) has had his car well over 200mph many times. He has the Ruf front bumper.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read stories from at least 2 people that had a ride with this car. Both stated that the car was a bitch to drive and that you have to be really insane to go anywhere near 350kph with the car.

Originally Posted by Jussi
It was also in that "RS rocket science" car which went +350kmh easily (but it was narrow body)..

I felt that at corner the car was worse to drive.. there was more understeer feeling and I had to cut speed(under 80kmh) at my well-known corner(90degree) way to my work..
so conclusion of that, there might be need for more downforce/agressive front spoiler?
The first 911 Porsches had some extra weight in the outer sides of the front bumper to improve the handling. Removing weight in the front only is a very bad idea with the 911 and still so with a 993.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:20 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Personally I think that you have geometry issues. I cannot comment on the PSS9's as I have no idea what they are. If the car has a decent geo set up stability should be good. Agreed Ruf spoilers will help. I have had my 964 3.6 turbo the plus side of 310kph and she's very stable. I am not saying that I would feel comfortable making any quick directional changes but I was not puckering up the leather on the drivers seat if you know what I mean. Make sure the bushes in the rear arms are not worn as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:39 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by graeme36s
Personally I think that you have geometry issues. I cannot comment on the PSS9's as I have no idea what they are. If the car has a decent geo set up stability should be good. Agreed Ruf spoilers will help. I have had my 964 3.6 turbo the plus side of 310kph and she's very stable. I am not saying that I would feel comfortable making any quick directional changes but I was not puckering up the leather on the drivers seat if you know what I mean. Make sure the bushes in the rear arms are not worn as well.
Graeme
You make very good points about checking geometry and bushes etc, but
with all due respect if your 965 was "very stable" your speedo was probably grossly over reading or possibly you are very experienced at going over 300kph ?

If you read what I said in another thread Ruf themselves don't claim any better downforce/stability from their front spoiler.

993s and earlier are plain horrible over 300kph. When the turbo was announced Porsche claimed zero lift at 150mph but when Sport Auto tested one in the wind tunnel it had 17kg lift at 200kph !!
It takes a modern Porsche to show you how bad they are, my CGT at 193mph was so planted (over 300kg of downforce according to Porsche) it makes it a thrilling rather than terrifying event since the car is so in control the steering wheel actual works unlike in the 993tt where at 190mph the steering wheel is used as a sort of "guide" to keep the car in the right general direction...

The RS Tuning sloped windscreen car was based on a narrow body 964C4 with stock 993tt rear spoiler and Strosek front spoiler and as Stummel says was just as wayward at high speed, and they drove that thing at 221mph !!!!

The only real way to get the planted feeling is to use the full barrage of Porsche Motorsport wings and tricks but of course then you are going to hit that aerodynamic brick wall.

Interesting aero test on the 993tt here:http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1065/article.html
Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched about those PSS9 settings from here and make my own decision after what I had read. I also go race track one per month.
But I don't know are those good settings. They are first what I have been tested.. should I change them to what ?

I haven't check that alignment. The car came from some company and I trusted them. btw. How can I check that alignment myself?
It appears most are running stiffer in the rear as posted here on Rennlist.
One of the main reasons being that the rear has more weight due to the engine.
On initial install, my PSS9 was set 6 all around. For me, this was too soft. Seem to bottom out in the rear. Then set the front 5 and the rear 4 which worked well for me even for the streets of NYC. For the track, I set the front 3 and the rear 1. However, for me, even keeping the settings at front 3 and rear 1 still seems bearable on NYC streets. I like my suspension stiffer so my taste may vary from yours.
I have never checked the alignment myself. I leave that to my mechanic.

Also, have a look here:
http://p-car.com/susfaq.html
Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Jussi
Pro

I haven't read before that 993TTs are that bad in higher speed but now that myth is proven to be truth
So many people has similar experiences than me. That "limit speed" is something about +250km/h..

but I'm sure now that lightening your car has very negative issue for higher speed. So new RLs who still think about lightening car very much and still using "autobahn speeds", think again..

When I bought my car from germany at summer 2005, it weighted near 1700kg with all stuff at that moment and I tested its speed first time in those autobahns and guess what... I drove 295kmh according to speedo and I used only one hand because I took pictures from speedo to my friends
btw. they were little upset because didn't know about my new car and just got that "300kmh speedo" -picture as "regards from Germany".. that was priceless feeling
Old 09-07-2007, 05:39 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I haven't read before that 993TTs are that bad in higher speed but now that myth is proven to be truth
So many people has similar experiences than me. That "limit speed" is something about +250km/h..

but I'm sure now that lightening your car has very negative issue for higher speed. So new RLs who still think about lightening car very much and still using "autobahn speeds", think again..

When I bought my car from germany at summer 2005, it weighted near 1700kg with all stuff at that moment and I tested its speed first time in those autobahns and guess what... I drove 295kmh according to speedo and I used only one hand because I took pictures from speedo to my friends
btw. they were little upset because didn't know about my new car and just got that "300kmh speedo" -picture as "regards from Germany".. that was priceless feeling
No, you have something wrong with the car if you say 250kph is "the limit". I would say 280kph (290 ish on the speedo) is where things start getting "interesting" and by 310kph you are trying to "nudge" the helm using the steering.
If I were you I would get the "S" aero stuff on then get all the suspension, bushed etc checked and have a full alignment and set up done by someone who knows how.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by TB993tt
No, you have something wrong with the car if you say 250kph is "the limit". I would say 280kph (290 ish on the speedo) is where things start getting "interesting" and by 310kph you are trying to "nudge" the helm using the steering.
If I were you I would get the "S" aero stuff on then get all the suspension, bushed etc checked and have a full alignment and set up done by someone who knows how.
That limit thing was wrong to say but some here has said that 250, 260, 270 or 280 was a bad point.
Like me, that 280 was very unstable speed..
I have to check also those bushes - They might be original and in bad condition because my car has driven 200000km !
Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Alignment_tires

>>have a full alignment and set up done by someone who knows how<<

Ruf provided alignment spec's for me knowing my intended use was very high speed driving for up to 130 miles. My alignment is set up neutral for 200+(mph) driving.I run 36/38 cold setting & use nitrogen fill.Wheels are dynamically balanced. I do tape some frontal area & I have removed mirrors & wiper arms to reduce Cd! Also have A pillar fairings installed.I have averaged 185+ mph for 90 miles many times..i have never felt uncomfortable in the Ruf car at high speeds even with serious crossing winds.
I have a video of me with both hands off the wheel (I didn't know it at the time) at 208 mph.
FYI,I drove my 96 993TT(December 1995) to an indicated 190 mph an hour after I owned it. It was stable and comfortable.

Cheers

R

Last edited by Ruf-Racer; 09-12-2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: corrected date to December 1995
Old 09-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Jussi
Pro

Thank Ruf-racer,
That was what I wanted to hear. So these car can be good at high speed also.
So, maybe I have also that alignment (and bushes) reasons which cause that terribile feeling at 280km/h.
Could you tell me what are those RUF alignment settings?
What? 208mph without hands on streering wheels - maybe I see that video?
Have you done test how much those mirrors and wiper arms removing effect to high speed?

Last edited by Jussi; 09-09-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Mikey B
Advanced

I had my 993 TT up to 170 MPH today. Felt amazingly safe (aside from the blur in my peripheral vision) and very planted. Car is fully stock except for Eibach lowering springs, 23K miles on the odo.

Quick Reply: 993TT in higher speeds..