993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Robins) RSR exhaust boxes on TT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007 | 10:18 AM
pezza
Rennlist Member

Default (Robins) RSR exhaust boxes on TT?

Does anyone have the RSR back boxes fitted on their TT? Is their much difference in the sound?

Just thinking about getting a set from Carnewal.
Old 09-04-2007 | 10:27 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Perry - I've got them and like them quite a bit. No drone whatsoever and a nice but not obnoxious burble at idle/low revs. You best bet though is to see if you can find a similar car with what you're looking for and give a real life listen.
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:03 AM
pezza
Rennlist Member

I've just emailed Gert, thinking of driving over to Belguim and getting a set fitted. Just waiting for the fully fitted price.

regards
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:06 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by pezza
I've just emailed Gert, thinking of driving over to Belguim and getting a set fitted. Just waiting for the fully fitted price.

regards
Great idea; I would guess you could drive on them for a couple of days and bring them back to swap round if you didn't like them and not be out more than the labour cost plus the replacement mountiung straps that are usually needed.
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:41 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

unless your original straps are rusted or otherwise at the end of the road, you can use the original straps with the RSRs since they use the original muffler as a base.
Old 09-04-2007 | 12:37 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by dbf73
you can use the original straps with the RSRs since they use the original muffler as a base.
Agreed but if the car's ever seen salt (which many have in Europe) the bolts will be well-seized and will shear when being loosened. Ironic that the strap is stainless but the hardware mild steel.
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:37 PM
pezza
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phelix
Agreed but if the car's ever seen salt (which many have in Europe) the bolts will be well-seized and will shear when being loosened. Ironic that the strap is stainless but the hardware mild steel.
Have to agree, as I've just had a good look, the bolts are history, and so are my rear heat shields and PU support brackets.

Car goes in next week for the annual wallet lightening action, so I guess these will be "extras", still will make Gerts job easier!
Old 09-04-2007 | 03:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have the RSR back boxes fitted on their TT? Is their much difference in the sound?

Just thinking about getting a set from Carnewal.

Air Kuul TT here on RL has a set of Gemballa mufflers with the RSR mod done. He may be able to give you an idea of what it might be like on stock cans... not sure.
Old 09-10-2007 | 02:54 PM
pezza
Rennlist Member

Well I have pulled the trigger on the RSR's, having them fitted on Thursday, when the car is in for a annual service.

The plan is to go out Tuesday evening armed with a video recorder and get some footage with the stock system, them film again once the RSR's are fitted to give an idea of before and after.
Old 09-11-2007 | 05:08 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

The plan is to go out Tuesday evening armed with a video recorder and get some footage with the stock system, them film again once the RSR's are fitted to give an idea of before and after.
Will you be running stock cats with them, or something else? I ask because I'm considering 100 cell cats but am already having difficulty passing the 105db limit at track days with my Andials. Am marginally OK on the static, but get hammered on the drive-by's. Gert told me he can make them up in three different db configurations, which could possibly help with my problem. Which one are you getting?
Old 09-11-2007 | 05:23 AM
pezza
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Will you be running stock cats with them, or something else? I ask because I'm considering 100 cell cats but am already having difficulty passing the 105db limit at track days with my Andials. Am marginally OK on the static, but get hammered on the drive-by's. Gert told me he can make them up in three different db configurations, which could possibly help with my problem. Which one are you getting?
I'll check with Gert, he didn't mention anything about three types of RSR's though. I'm not changing the cats at present, just after a little more music out the back.
Old 09-11-2007 | 08:59 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

I'll check with Gert, he didn't mention anything about three types of RSR's though. I'm not changing the cats at present, just after a little more music out the back.
I seem to remember he told me on the phone the range was something like 92-97db. Depending on the atmospheric conditions the day I get tested, I'm usually between 99-102db (static). But at full chat, upshifting from 4th to 5th ... who knows. Unfortunately the on-track meters are usually placed right by that shift point. Really sad thing is more than one marshall (Goodwood mainly) have told me how much they like the car's sound -- but never the lady with the meter who points at me and at her ear every time I go by!
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:20 AM
pezza
Rennlist Member

Just heard back from Gert, I have the middle version, they have just turned up, but I haven't opened them yet, very excited..
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:57 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Am I remembering the db spread between the three versions correctly?
Old 09-11-2007 | 11:48 AM
pezza
Rennlist Member

Gert, just advised me that I had the middle version and that it shouldn't cause any problems should I decide to do a track day in the car. Now the good news, I've secured a Db metre so I can give some credible comparisons between the stock boxes and the RSR's, with some accurate data as opposed to just the sound on the video.

Keep watching as I'm doing the stock stuff this evening, the RSR footage will be done over the weekend.

Last edited by pezza; 09-11-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: (Robins) RSR exhaust boxes on TT?