Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you track your 993tt?
No, street only
37.50%
Yes, both street and track
55.36%
Yes, heavy track use
7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

993tt to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:51 AM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOu have to track it......no other way to see what it really can do! My baby goes to the track often and I love it. Mine is an S spec car and it really is good to see how well it performs in relation to the newer cars! I never thought I would do the amount of track work that I do, but once you start, too hard to stop. I am not in it for the re-sale....I love this car!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:07 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris L/FL
Hey Tom, how freakin' long did it take you to tape up your car????

1-2 hours at the most and a few Buds. Heartland Park was undergoing re-construction and I didn't want to take a chance getting hit by crap that was being kicked on the track. My paint was in excellent shape and prob. overkill but it does the job. Tape comes in up to 3" in width and makes quick work. Clean car and apply, peel off in sheets and no stick stuff left behind.

Not a bad idea in Fla. with the surfaces of Sebring & Moroso from what I remember. Of course with this info I have provided I expect you to give my first crack at that 3.8
Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

You could always tape it up like this lady did to her husbands car She was at Buttonwillow while her husband was at home watching sports.. IIRC, he didnt even know she was tracking their car.. ...and yes, the ENTIRE hood and front of the car was taped..
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

With the taping, do you have residual glue lines after peeling the tape, or it will just come off clean with no sticky feel?

CP

Last edited by CP; 08-29-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:52 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by troppo
I have been going back and forth on whether to use my 993tt on the track...It is a nice example with 52k miles and in great shape. I have hd's with row m030 and ruf oil cooler, so it would do ok. I am just not sure if I want to beat it up on the track...

My other option would be to buy a 951 and use it exclusively as a track car.

So I am wondering how many of you use your 993tt's on the track and if so, how badly does it tear it up. I have done some DE's in my previous porsches and didn't notice any adverse wear besides tires...but they weren't my beloved turbo either

I need some sound advice from my rennlist brethren
You'll sink a ton of money in the 951 keeping it on the track. I know as I raced one for nine years. Great handling and fun fun, but then you start with the mod's you might as well run the 993tt. It all depends how committed you are to the track. If your just doing DE's than I'd run the 993tt. If your wheel to wheel go with the 951.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:21 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by CP
With the taping, do you have residual glue lines after peeling the tape, or it will just come off clean with no sticky feel?

CP
very little at all, and what little I did have was near the top where I would apply pressure with my finger tips upon removal and that came off when I washed it as usual after a DE anyway. Car was black and never a concern with the finish.

Try it on a small portion if you go on a long drive see for yourself.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
Depends how you track it. If you go out and run around the track at 6500rpm and are jerky with the drivetrain you're going to accelerate wear. If you focus on being smooth, heel/toe, and keep the rpm's around 4-5K you're still going to accelerate wear but nowhere near as bad as the former.
Let me know if anyone can keep the revs below 4-5K on the track. My boost is just getting going and I know it comes in sooner than most.

Greg H.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of you guys look like you're spending more in painters tape than on Brake pads. Looks like it takes all day to do that...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

IMHO, track the tt so you can see how really good it is but do not go too far into the de ranks with the tt. get a dedicated lightweight track car.

as you progress and get better and faster the cars becomes very expensive to maintain - ask me how i know. high hp cars go through wear and tear items faster. heavy cars go through wear and tear items faster. guess what? the tt is wicked fast and very heavy. you cannot defy physics. it takes force to move a large mass and force to slow and turn a large mass.

with the price of cracked rotors, pagids, & hoosiers that need to be replaced every 3 events (if you are running quick), the costs get high pretty fast.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

Tony: do you really go through a set of discs, pads and tires in 6 de days? I would think that they would last longer than that (from my limited experience). You must be running really hard, max in every corner.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony: do you really go through a set of discs, pads and tires in 6 de days? I would think that they would last longer than that (from my limited experience). You must be running really hard, max in every corner.
most of our events are 3 day events. pagid yellow fronts, blacks rear, oem cross drilled rotors, hoosiers r06's.

three 3 day events at a track like the glen or vir, front pagids = shot, hoosiers 80% shot, oem cross drilled rotors = cracked.

running hard, yes!

Quick Reply: 993tt to the track?