Might go for a 993 Turbo !

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:26 PM
P. Viby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might go for a 993 Turbo !

Hey Guys,

I am a happy owner of a MY01 996 Cab. fully loaded with more or less all extra you can buy. But after a few years of driving around having good fun I feel the time is ready to try something else. It all started 7 years ago with a good old 944 then it was a 968 and now I have the 996 cab. I dont feel for going after the 996 or 997 Turbo which I belive is gonna fall alot in price over next years and I belive the classic brutal 993 Turbo would be the right choice for me then. I see alot of posts in regards to the Turbo S, but is it not right that there whereonly build 183 pieces of that model ? Right now I am looking at a 993 Turbo 430 hp MY97 with alot of extras. But would it be much better to look after the 450 hp version and does it mean alot that this car has around 110.000 km on the clock ? I have read somewhere that the 993 Turbo is the most expensive to maintain, but is that true and how much should I expect to pay for the normal services ?

Thanks for any replies,
P.Viby
Old 08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
P. Viby
Advanced

Halllloooo anybody alive and helpfull here or all busy with modding their own cars

Old 08-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Most dealers in the New York area charge $120.00 per hour for labor. I'm a fan of the dealer beause of some bad experences with local Porsche shops.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

110 km should be refelected in price. when you go to sell it if it has more miles expect less and less money. most people looking for one of these cars look less than 30k miles. colour is very important for resale. clean history is very important. IMO these are the best porsches. you will love driving it and people may be taking pictures when parked. if properly maintained cost is not too bad but expect to spend some $$$. Mods do not usually increase value of car. ppi abosolutely necessary, leakdown and compression #S a must, and all done by someone familiar with. these cars. take time finding one it is worth it. any thing that seems improper walk away. with the weak us dollar you should loook into importing, many to choose from. Turbo s is great limited production car. most want over $100k in us and most are garage queens (under 10k miles). if too low miles might have dried up seals. again take your time, do not buy the first example. these are fairly easy cars to get 500 hp out of with simple mods (not opening up engine). 97 has some advantages but basically same car. good luck!
great taste in car!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:10 PM
P. Viby
Advanced

The Price I am looking at for this black / black MY97 car is around 60.000 Euro. But there are so few for sale in Europe that it is actually difficult to see if the price is fair enough.
I am worried alittle about the high km this cars has, but besides of that it seems well maintained and in good condition. I will for sure have it checked by my local Porscher dealer before I sign for it.
Importing the car could be fun to try but as I see it most riscky since I have no chance to inspect the car before I pay for it.
My guess is that I will only drive around 5-9000 km per year for the next many years(read kids at home) So I will not put that many km on the car.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

Porsche dealers are not familiar with these 10 and 11 year old cars. if you import a car you can fly to see it (you are talking about a 60k euro price tag for a car w/ 110 km)
look at it like an adventure and experience you will never forget when driving the car!
do not buy a car just because it is there...you will regret it
Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbodan is a very wise man........................
Old 08-22-2007, 07:16 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts

+1 on Turbodan comment...
Pierre
Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine has loads of extras

i have it on ebay and here for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...163719490&rd=1
Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Turbo993
Advanced

Originally Posted by P. Viby
The Price I am looking at for this black / black MY97 car is around 60.000 Euro. But there are so few for sale in Europe that it is actually difficult to see if the price is fair enough.
I am worried alittle about the high km this cars has, but besides of that it seems well maintained and in good condition. I will for sure have it checked by my local Porscher dealer before I sign for it.
Importing the car could be fun to try but as I see it most riscky since I have no chance to inspect the car before I pay for it.
My guess is that I will only drive around 5-9000 km per year for the next many years(read kids at home) So I will not put that many km on the car.
Hi,
60 k Euro is actually the current fair price for a 993 Turbo with 110.000 km on the clock. A couple of years ago the price tag would have been 10 k Euro lower. Regarding price stability I would recommend to look for a 98 model with 450 hp (WLS II). You may have to pay 65-70 k Euro for a car above 80.000 km but it seems to prove worthy. If you consider cars with less than 50.000 km the price tag will raise above 80 k Euro quickly. Only a month ago a 98 model with 2.000 km sold for 150 k Euro (being above original price!).

110.000 km are no problem as long as the previous owner(s) have taken well care of the beauty.... Otherwise I can only recommend to check the cars well personally or to purchase from a German Porsche dealer who will give an official guarantee on the car.

I am firm with the market in Europe and via the web you will be able to find on average about 50 cars that are for sale, ranging from 40 k Euro to 100 k and more. Once ore twice a year a 993 Turbo S is on the market, selling usually for 130-180 k Euro (depending on the km). I would advise you to place a request with the Porsche dealer in Hamburg so that they can inform you about incoming 993 Turbos. They offer on average about 5 993 Turbos a year.

Best,
Nils
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 AM
P. Viby
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbo993
Hi,
60 k Euro is actually the current fair price for a 993 Turbo with 110.000 km on the clock. A couple of years ago the price tag would have been 10 k Euro lower. Regarding price stability I would recommend to look for a 98 model with 450 hp (WLS II). You may have to pay 65-70 k Euro for a car above 80.000 km but it seems to prove worthy. If you consider cars with less than 50.000 km the price tag will raise above 80 k Euro quickly. Only a month ago a 98 model with 2.000 km sold for 150 k Euro (being above original price!).

110.000 km are no problem as long as the previous owner(s) have taken well care of the beauty.... Otherwise I can only recommend to check the cars well personally or to purchase from a German Porsche dealer who will give an official guarantee on the car.

I am firm with the market in Europe and via the web you will be able to find on average about 50 cars that are for sale, ranging from 40 k Euro to 100 k and more. Once ore twice a year a 993 Turbo S is on the market, selling usually for 130-180 k Euro (depending on the km). I would advise you to place a request with the Porsche dealer in Hamburg so that they can inform you about incoming 993 Turbos. They offer on average about 5 993 Turbos a year.

Best,
Nils
Yes, the 60K Euro price is actually not that bad. I have checked alot on Mobile.de but it is very rare I see a MY98 with the 450 Hp setup. I am not interested in a purple car with yellow leather or something like that. More or less only black or silver with black or darkgrey leather, which again limits the cars awailable.

I will keep on looking...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:20 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There were no '1998 450bhp' 993Turbos, not unless someone special ordered their TT with the optional factory 450bhp power upgrade... the ONLY 'standard' 450bhp 993TT was the ROW (non-US) '97 993TT-S.

I think someone said it before, but I second hopping over to the US to pick up a nice US-spec car. They seem to be far more plentiful over there, much cheaper (a product of the weak dollar), and generally have far lower mileage than in Europe (my car here is 'low-mileage' with 26K miles, whilst it seems to be pretty average in the US).

For $80,000 (your €60,000) you could pick up a much nicer, lower-mileage 993TT in the US, and if from California, garuanteed moisture free. If I wasn't in ye-olde Right Hand Drive capital of the world that's what I'dve done...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
There were no '1998 450bhp' 993Turbos, not unless someone special ordered their TT with the optional factory 450bhp power upgrade... the ONLY 'standard' 450bhp 993TT was the ROW (non-US) '97 993TT-S.

I think someone said it before, but I second hopping over to the US to pick up a nice US-spec car. They seem to be far more plentiful over there, much cheaper (a product of the weak dollar), and generally have far lower mileage than in Europe (my car here is 'low-mileage' with 26K miles, whilst it seems to be pretty average in the US).

For $80,000 (your €60,000) you could pick up a much nicer, lower-mileage 993TT in the US, and if from California, garuanteed moisture free. If I wasn't in ye-olde Right Hand Drive capital of the world that's what I'dve done...
Not in U.S but the 993 Turbo was available just as Nils mentioned in a WLSII step, featuring the same engine and cooling modifications as the Turbo S. Look for option codes:
XLC = K24 & ECU
XLB = Twin Pipe Exhaust
XE7 = Extra oilcooler.
This option was just as available as the X50 option, though it was tremendously expensive.

I would (sadly) not recommend buying a U.S TT for Europe. The grey market cars are not treated well by the market here and you will have to sell it for quite a discount.

If the car has been serviced at the authotized dealers here, you can pull an almost complete history from the VIN from the Porsche Service Center. The dealers here (especially scandinavia) have a pretty clear view of the available 993TT's and know them quite well.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Rassel
Drifting

If you want the power, a normal 408hp with some UMW modifications will outperform the factory K24. Mainly since UMW has more modern stuff than what was available at -98.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 AM
P. Viby
Advanced

Magnus is right about that if I import a car I will have to give some discount when/if I sell it again. Even internal in Europe there is a strange idea about imported cars from other EU countries.Eksample a imported german 993 TT is cheaper in Sweden compared to a car that has been driving around in cold sweden all it´s life. (Even the insurance is higher also..haha)

There must be some build to order, MY98 with 430 Hp or even better 450 Hp out there.

But what was the difference of the MY97 and MY98 ?

And difference between WLS and WLS2 ?

Last edited by P. Viby; 08-23-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Might go for a 993 Turbo !