Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions please: Modding a low mileage TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007 | 04:19 PM
ncp
Rennlist Member

Question Opinions please: Modding a low mileage TT

Reading some of the recent posts on purchasing low mieage tt's vs. daily drivers has got me thinking: I'm the second owner of a locally owned mint, 97' black/black with 12k on the clock. It's not a daily driver however since owning this car (almost 2 years) I've put a little over 3k miles on it. With the exception of adding PSS9's and clear bra, I've left the car stock, but am thinking of performing some upgrades over time, ie, turbos, ecu, exhaust, lw flywheel, etc.

My questions: Do you think I should trade out for a higher mileage tt and utilize the price differential to perform the upgrades? Is it worth hanging on to my existing ride, which I know to be in excellent mechanical condition with no current issues? Is it worth performing the upgrades on a low mileage car? I know I'll continue to put at least 1,500-2,000k on the clock each year and would like to drive the occasional DE and track day event.

Advice and opinions appreciated. ???
Old 08-17-2007 | 04:38 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

This will sound a bit weird coming from a person with a fully tricked out Ruf Turbo R with 110k miles... leave your car alone. Only a totally idiot (me in particular) "needs" more that the stock 993TT 400 HP. If you are to continue driving this car so little, absolutely don't mod it, and don't trade it for a higher milage car. Trust me... I'm an idiot.

For DE, your car is fine. You will wear brakes and tires... consumables. Cover the car head to toe in painters tape or such, and enjoy it... just as it is.
Old 08-17-2007 | 05:16 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

For another perspective from a high mod whacko: how long will you keep the car? If you're going to keep it for a long time there is significant value in starting with known quantity if you must mod. If you swap out, chances are you'll spend the price differential just bringing the other car up to snuff maintenance wise. If you are going to turn the car anytime in the next few years, don't mod. If you can resist modding, do so like Steve suggested. Another option is to only make mods that can be removed without evidence that they were ever there.
Old 08-17-2007 | 05:48 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

And every car that I was going to "keep forever" has now been sold or is for sale.
Except the Andial.........
Old 08-18-2007 | 12:52 AM
shawsan
Instructor

Ok, so you've got an almost perfect, stock 993tt, that you drive very little. You don't drive it much, but it doesn't seem you're determined to keep the car "low miles" to qualify for collector status or to make some kind of investment return. My take, rather, is that you want to embark on some mods as part of enjoying the car, growing with it. I can understand that. When I got my 993tt, a close friend and porsche mod fanatic advised me to "relish" each and every modification -- the options, the possibilities, the doing, the experiencing. And that's the approach I've taken. And I too don't drive my cars very much.

What I'd advise, if I read you correctly, is to go step, by step, so you can perceive and enjoy the differences, rather than doing everything in one fell swoop to produce a done deal. Thus, I'd suggest doing a Stage 1 type mod first -- ECU, cats, coil suspension upgrade. Experience and enjoy the difference. If you like, then move to a Stage 2 -- bigger turbos, lighter flywheel, heavy duty clutch plate, additional oil cooler. Experience and enjoy the difference.

If all the mods are done well, you'll not only have a car that hits a high gong note on classic looks and superb baseline power, but the mods you do will keep it close to the front starting line with exotics 10 years younger.
Old 08-18-2007 | 01:00 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

+1 leave it stock.
Old 08-18-2007 | 01:21 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Ya, leave it stock and don't drive it, and pet it in the garage. On the other hand, modify the f**k out it and kick *** on race cars, vetts, vipers and ferrari's. Just my unbiased opinion.
Old 08-18-2007 | 08:45 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JJayB
Ya, leave it stock and don't drive it, and pet it in the garage. On the other hand, modify the f**k out it and kick *** on race cars, vetts, vipers and ferrari's. Just my unbiased opinion.
Jimmy - you CONTINUE to be my f**king hero (in a totally unbiased sort of way)!
Old 08-18-2007 | 06:45 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JJayB
It's a slippery slope. Just after getting the GT2 tilt kit installed it's going back in for the full rear ERP suspension now. Makes the depreciation on a 997GT3 look like a deal. But..
Old 08-18-2007 | 08:08 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Acropora
It's a slippery slope. Just after getting the GT2 tilt kit installed it's going back in for the full rear ERP suspension now. Makes the depreciation on a 997GT3 look like a deal. But..
These cars are cheap compared to.......let me think...race horses. Ya, don't
buy anything that eats while you sleep.

Quick Reply: Opinions please: Modding a low mileage TT