Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 turbo break up grade

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is track only and i run stock rotors with pagid blacks. no problem stopping, just can;t be too late on the pedal. I was thinking of going up in diameter for the endurace reasons. What are the cup cars running ? 355 all around right ?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Stop tech is poo poo IMHO. I used to have a kit made by Movit on my audi S4. Big reds all around with Porsche rotors. That was nice. Stop tech made a kit for the Audi S4 and my friend had to send back the calipers 2 times, they kept seizing up. Hence my poo poo comment
Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Andy.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
Stop tech is poo poo IMHO. I used to have a kit made by Movit on my audi S4. Big reds all around with Porsche rotors. That was nice. Stop tech made a kit for the Audi S4 and my friend had to send back the calipers 2 times, they kept seizing up. Hence my poo poo comment
Not disputing AndyTs comments only offering my own experience with StopTech. I have used StopTech BBKs (ST-40 4 piston calipers, 355mm slotted 2-piece rotors, w/ SS brakelines) on 3 different track cars (2 Z06s and a 410awhp/415awtq R32 VW) and racked up over 10,000 miles with them on the track. They have been most reliable and StopTech's tech support has been superlative. I have no problems with Brembos, Wilwoods, or any other after-market BBK that has been mentioned in this thread. Just wanted to say that I have had excellent success with StopTech and would recommend them without hesitation.

That said I echo the sentiments of others that the 993TT brakes are not the weakest link for someone who appears to be a novice driver looking to participate in a HPDE. Seat time is the best thing to focus on along with sound instruction. When I started out my biggest (or is that first?) mistake was rushing to modify my car before learning the cars driving dynamics in stock form. Just must my 2 cents
Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mkozink
Not disputing AndyTs comments only offering my own experience with StopTech. I have used StopTech BBKs (ST-40 4 piston calipers, 355mm slotted 2-piece rotors, w/ SS brakelines) on 3 different track cars (2 Z06s and a 410awhp/415awtq R32 VW) and racked up over 10,000 miles with them on the track. They have been most reliable and StopTech's tech support has been superlative. I have no problems with Brembos, Wilwoods, or any other after-market BBK that has been mentioned in this thread. Just wanted to say that I have had excellent success with StopTech and would recommend them without hesitation.

That said I echo the sentiments of others that the 993TT brakes are not the weakest link for someone who appears to be a novice driver looking to participate in a HPDE. Seat time is the best thing to focus on along with sound instruction. When I started out my biggest (or is that first?) mistake was rushing to modify my car before learning the cars driving dynamics in stock form. Just must my 2 cents
+1
Old 07-10-2007, 04:18 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Roger that. My stoptech experience was 7 years ago. I'm sure they have perfected the systems now. Either way I race with stock big reds and pagids and have had no problems. i've also driven this car on the track for 4 years and prior to this one a 930 so i don't use the brakes as much as i did when i first starting tracking.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

StopTech comments: I ran ST on my 993TT Andial with no issues. The brakes were great for street and never faded at the track.

AndyT's comments about his experiences 7 years ago: In the very early kits, there were a very few instances of corrosion-related issues that could have caused binding. All of these issues were addressed and dealt with more than 5 years ago.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

First, the stock set up is good with up to 450hp. SRF fluid and good pads help a lot for sprirted driving and light track work. If your doing wheel to wheel and a lot of track, get some active brake cooling and they'll survive.
For big HP or for you left footed brakers the Brembo GT as mentioned are a great upgrade. I've driven a dozen different turbo's with all kinds of brake configuations on track. I liked the Stoptech's the best and I've got Brembos.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:43 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

More Stoptech feedback: I installed them on my E46 M3 (355mm rotors, ST40 calipers, all four corners) and found the quality and performance of the kit to be superlative. I installed the equivalent Brembo kit on a friend's E46 M3 and although there's little practical difference, I prefer the Stoptech.

And if nothing else, I believe the owner of Stoptech drives a 993TT...
Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

I also heard good things about Stoptech, however if budget is not an issue, I would not trade a Brembo or AP racing for them maybe, but that could be due to the bias some of us have about brands that we know, not due to technical merits.

I tend to disagree with the direct HP/brake relationship.

I would focus more on the type of usage (DE vs. Sprint vs Enduro). I cannot foresee where someone might need bigger brakes than stock on the street... under any circumstance.

I only run Sprints and Hot lap trials, often in ambient 110-120F+ and never had any fading, my car reaches >160mph in the straights going into 1st gear hairpin.

If I had any issue with braking I would have upgraded discs and calipers(maybe only thing I still have stock ). As JJayB mentioned, SRF, new pads, GREAT bleeding, everytime clean up/drill the cooling passages in the rotors and duct some air through them.

Bigger 6 piston brakes might give me a few tenths around a lap, I make up the loss on exit

I might be lucky, I don't know.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:36 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

I wonder why PFC doesn't make rotors for our cars ? They seem to only have pads. Their rotors look fantastic. Floaters
Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

I wonder why PFC doesn't make rotors for our cars ? They seem to only have pads. Their rotors look fantastic. Floaters
PFC makes a complete line of brake components in addition to their pads (I have used the PFC 01 compound for years with great success). I have not used their calipers or rotors but I would expect them to be competitive with the other BBKs available.

http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/products.htm
Old 07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

i only find pads.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

i only find pads.
Did you try the "Rotors" and "Calipers" links under "Products" on the left side of the web page? They are just below the "Pads" link.

http://www.performancefriction.com/p...liper_tech.htm
Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
sonny1
Banned

StopTech=ChinesseTech, they are good but not as good as the real thing.

Quick Reply: 993 turbo break up grade