Sponsored by:

993 Turbo ownership/maintenance experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 Turbo ownership/maintenance experience

I know this is an often-visited topic, but the Search function is NOT working after trying it a dozen times. So Ray S, before you start your "Do A Freakin' Search" reply....

I have been an admirer of the 993, esp the wide bodies, for many years. The past year, when time came to get semi-serious about looking for one, I have been swayed by the low low prices of the 996TT and a few of the newer features (PSM especially) relative to the 993TT. Obviously, the number of 996TTs out there is just huge compared to the 993TT.

I am still looking, but for the past six months have been looking at the 996TT. I do not have to rehash the pros and cons nor do I wish for this thread to go down the road of another air-cool vs H2O debate.

Just the other day, I saw a silver 993TT again after a long time of looking at the 996. And I have to say: one look and I am thinking about 993TT again. I don't need to tell you folks how beautiful it is.

Here is the part where I need your help:

1) I have asked and understood that 993 maintenance is higher in cost than 996. I am OK with that to a degree. Is the maintenance cost TWICE as much? THREE TIMES? And what is the approximate yearly cost for maintenance anyways for a 993TT?

It's OK for me if it's something like $1000-$3000 for a year (big breakdowns can happen and that's life but I'm talking routine costs). But if we are talking $5000 and above routinely ....may be too rich for my blood.

2) As for those unexpected big things that could go wrong....what are they, are some of them kind of to be expected anyways, and what are the costs for handling them if they arise??

Thanks for your reply. I could really live with either model (I think, depending on the answer about $$ from you all) and I am not looking for direction on which model to get, but your input on your actual routine maintenance and possible big pitfalls experience would be helpful.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:56 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you take care of all the deferred maintenance and have your 993tt up to snuff, costs are very low. If you use it for 10K miles per year and do your own fluid and filter changes, $1000 per year should do it and that's mostly tires. Find a good alignment shop that understands kinesmatic toe to prolong tire life. If you track the car figure in some brake pads and a bit more toward bigger jobs.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim,

Fair questions. And let me start by saying the 996TT is a very fine car, and quite an amazing performance bargain. But I'll never be coaxed out of my 993TT (well... I confess... its a Ruf Turbo R).

The only reason that a 993TT will be more expensive to maintain than a 996TT is simply that its older. If a 993TT is very well maintained, and we exclude the inevitable "upgrades" that us lunatics seem compelled to do, what are the likely failure suspects?
1). clutch: there is nothing wrong with the 993TT stock clutch, but if its been abused, it may require a change. This is pretty much the same as the 996TT issue.
2). steering rack: some of these seem to leak. I've heard that if you closely insect the boots, and ensure that they are not cracked, you can prevent the leaks. Dealer gets about $2400 to replace with a new rack, but there are lower cost alternatives.
3). Turbo units: They really appreciate a nice cool down. They will need a rebuild (approx $1500/pair) if they are not cared for. This is the same on the 996TT.
4). Radiator leaks: Oh wait.... that would only apply to the 996TT. Never mind.
5). Aux oil cooler and AC condensor fan resistors: these are exposed to the elements and prone to fail. Not a big expense, and easily a DIY (~$400 for both?)
6). My AC condensor just sprung a leak (~$400 for parts plus an AC service).
7). Alternator failure: at about 100k miles, they are simply ready for rebuild. They probably just need brushes, but usually you just replace the whole unit. ($500 with labor).

As I write this probably incomplete list, I realize that almost ALL of my money is spent on upgrades. Most of the routine maintenance costs are the same as 996TT, and there aren't a lot of weak points. My advice would be to get a well maintained, well documented car where many of the above items have already been handled. These cars are out there (I happen to know of one, and no, its not Rufus).

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Steve and 911/Q45,

Thanks for your answers. I feel better already. I will start asking for my "993 Buying Guide" back from my friend who said she's "interested in a Porsche." Of course I started blabbing how great the 993 is to her first and foremost. I guess that should tell me something.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent very little actually maintaining Frank. (On the other hand I have almost 30K in receipts for upgrades.)

If you are interested in a 993TT with no deferred maintenance issues, give me a call.
Frank is officially for sale.
I'm only selling Frank because I bought the Andial 993 3.8 twin plug, and I can't keep 'em both.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

My opinion differs alot more.. Right now these cars are either driven with being maintained or driven and sold and not maintained. Many folks are trying to buy them for a deal. It is the deal that will kill your pocket book. Look at Tim's short ownership relationship with his car.. You can drop 10 grand in a heart beat just to take care of issues, and that doesn't get into the engine for a topend overhaul..

The question that you should be asking is...

a) cost for to replace the failed viscous coupling in your tranny. And I bet over 60% of you folks have a failing VC.

b) cost to replace your clutch

c) cost to replace your clutch slave and accumulator

d) cost to replace your cylinder head temp sensor

e) cost to replace your front differential

e) cost to replace your rear wheel bearings

f) cost to replace you electric brake pump (I just replaced mine) $$$$

g) cost to replace your A/C - heater control unit in dash

h) cost to replace your CV joints.

I) cost to replace your power steering pump

J) cost to replace your Alternator

k) cost to replace your spark plug wires

Turbochargers are easy...

If you guys have some time call your local dealer and fill in the blanks, and then call your independant.. I know most of these costs, but it will be a learning experience.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Kevin,

Clutch, differential, CV joints, power steering pump, spark plug wires.....these are all things that will also need replacing when the time comes for the 996TT, right?

Knowing that 993TT is obviously going to be older than any 996TT I look at, and therefore closer to the age of needing the important replacements you mention, your post brings up another question (or another way to phrase the same question):

Is it just that I am more likely to run into repairs happening now or soon since 993TT is a few years older, and in a few moe years the maintenance costs will be pretty similar between the 996 and 993? Or is there something intrinsic about the 993TT design, build, or parts scarcity that would make equivalent maintenance or replacement much more expensive or more frequently necessary than the same work in the 996TT?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't forget the top end rebuild and suspension, both around 40k miles in some cases.~20k
Old 07-03-2007, 06:41 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris,

I think that the suspension is more of an upgrade to coil-overs and better shocks. The 993TT rarely needs a top-end rebuild... perhaps after 100k miles? I dunno. I only know of a couple of 993TTs that have had top ends, and one was (in my mind) highly suspicious of an opportunistic dealer.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The replacement parts are rising in cost.. The front brake booster use to be around $1,200.00 now it is closer to $1,600.00

I don't agree with Steve's statement about the topend. Valve guides are still the issue on these engine and will push you into having a topend. In this past 7 months, I know of 4 forum members that have had topends and 9 other owners calling me for topend advice (and clearly needing them with leakdown numbers higher than 10%)
Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Parts for the 993TT are alot more expensive vs the 996 or 996TT..
Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 535 Posts

Jimhsu...I know exactly how you feel and am going through the same painful decision myself! I really like both cars and do love the looks of the 993, but if I am honest with myself, the 996TT is better choice for me given that I don't want to wrench much on this car (I have a frame-off project on the go) and I want to "use" the car a little more than I probably would if it were a pristine 993 (that's just how I am with rare cars). One day, when I am rich and famous, I may own the prettier 993, but for now, I'll be happy with a 996TT. Good luck with your decision...

Hmmmm...just noticed that my membership status isn't showing??? I renewed a week ago. Does it take longer than that for the change to be made?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Zedder,

I hear ya too. Ask me in a week, and I might be saying "I have to get a 996TT instead," AGAIN, for a third time.

I agree with the thought that it would be easier on the mind to daily-drive a 996, but the other thought of mine is that it might be very hard to find a good condition 993TT in a few years, at that "someday" point.

The price for a reasonably good shape 993TT, and in the color combinations that I can accept, will likely be running ever farther away from my reach, since the number of 993TT made was far smaller than that for a 996TT to start with, and then figure in attrition due to accidents, unscrupulous maintenance and all those things that add up to eliminate the 993TTs irrevocably, year after year....making 993TTs much more of a nonrenewable and scarcer supply.

That can only mean that the price for entry in 5, 10, 15 years will be just even more impossible. It's the "Who Moved My Cheese" syndrome in a small scale.

One point in the 996TT's favor is that 996TTs are dirt cheap now compared to 993TTs and abundant in supply. The attrition effect will not hit 996TT as soon as it hit the 993TT from the time of production stoppage.

I tell you one thing though....if I end up with a 993TT, I will NOT be serving a garage queen. I won't abuse it, but to me a Porsche is meant to be driven and drive it I will. If it needs repairs later from daily driving and long trips, I am OK with that. Paint can be reapplied. I am going to enjoy it as a driver and a visual admirer.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:05 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just went through the same dilemma a few months ago. My thought process was that I would eventually trade the 996tt in for a 993tt in the future so I decided to just get what I REALLY wanted now rather than later. 3000 miles in 4 months and I have only had to spend money on fuel and mods (fingers crossed). BTW, I am very happy I made the decision I did.

The way I look at it, if some of the aforementioned repair issues come up, then it will be another 10 years before they have to be addressed again!

Anyways, follow your heart and get what makes you happy (which sounds like a 993tt from reading your posts). After all, this is an emotional decision.

Good Luck and I know you'll make the right decision
Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I have said it over and over again the 993tt puts a smile on people's faces indiscribable, it turns heads whenever i pull u pto my tech's shop which is like a hang out for porsche junkies everyone stands back and admires, this doesn't happen with a 996tt. 996tt drivers come up to me and admire, and a guy in a red 930 pulled up to me today and asked how much i want for the car and he would buy it on the spot, i refused of course. inevitably you ll be facing the same repair costs with the 996tt at this point especially with an 01 or 02 model with 40+ miles as you would with a 96 or 97 with the same mileage, my tech has a 996tt in his shop every week for something then again they are all stage 4 hp monsters. Just remember it will be you that will decide whether or not to take that second look at the car when you park it with a 993 i guarantee it will happen every time, if you are looking for and easy 600+ hp then get the 996 if 520+ is enough for you without opening the motor get the 993

my .02

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo ownership/maintenance experience