CEL, OBD2 Code P1140?? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 11:07 AM
jac911
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default vacuum test

"I am having same fault code in turbo, how can I do vacuum test."

My understanding from your post is that you are asking for the DIY process on how YOU can do the a smoke test. It isn't difficult. It just takes a bit of time and some common tools. Here's how.

This YouTube video shows how to make a shop built smoke tester:

This YouTube video shows how to conduct the test:

I used the videos to do a smoke test on a formerly owned 98 C2S with great success I might add.

JC 96 TT

Last edited by jac911; 01-15-2024 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gdjsk (01-22-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 07:28 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwyranger
Hello everyone, my troubles with my recently purchased 993tt continue. I thought I was in the clear after $2400 worth of service/repairs when it suddenly sprung a CEL light. I purchased a code reader and it read 1/1 codes - P1140, air fueling mixture. Does this mean my MAF needs to be replaced? Thanks for the help.
Enrique
Hwyranger, did the service include new O2 sensors? If you clear the code and start the engine with code reader plugged in if you get a fault code right away then more than likely it's a bad O2 sensor. I believe the fault code has to occur 3 times before the CEL comes on and usually it happens when you're cruising with a light throttle.
A cone air filter doesn't cause the fault code. I've been running a GruppeM air induction system and 100 cell cats for past 3 years with no fault codes so no CEL.
With a Bosch KTS 500 diagnostic tool you can set the readiness monitors in about a half hour with only a few minutes of driving time. The tool is expensive but it's
worth it.
As far as the state referee, I live in the SF Bay Area, if the readiness monitors aren't set it's an automatic failure.
I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:57 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tootrn
Hwyranger, did the service include new O2 sensors? If you clear the code and start the engine with code reader plugged in if you get a fault code right away then more than likely it's a bad O2 sensor. I believe the fault code has to occur 3 times before the CEL comes on and usually it happens when you're cruising with a light throttle.
A cone air filter doesn't cause the fault code. I've been running a GruppeM air induction system and 100 cell cats for past 3 years with no fault codes so no CEL.
With a Bosch KTS 500 diagnostic tool you can set the readiness monitors in about a half hour with only a few minutes of driving time. The tool is expensive but it's
worth it.
As far as the state referee, I live in the SF Bay Area, if the readiness monitors aren't set it's an automatic failure.
I hope this helps and good luck.
Actually, it's more involved than that, and driving time consumes the most time. Read here under Porsche Cycle Flag Basics; https://www.systemsc.com/codes.htm
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 02-24-2024, 05:23 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loren, I have a '96 it required 2 trips to set readiness monitors, engine cooling between trips wasn't necessary and it took about 10 minutes or less of driving time each trip to complete the O2 sensor aging and CAT efficiency cycles. I had followed the Cycle Flag Basics from the same link you sent me some 6-7 years ago. Much thanks!!
Jesse

Quick Reply: CEL, OBD2 Code P1140?? Help?