Sponsored by:

CEL, OBD2 Code P1140?? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
Like I said in my previous post, you need to have someone who knows what to look for monitor the airflow numbers at idle and under varying load conditions. Also look at the fuel trim numbers. Those usually can help pinpoint a bad MAF sensor . . . However a bad MAF sensor is usually associated w/ poor running/hesitation, which you did not mention in this post, but you had mentioned such a problem in a previous thread. Was that ever resolved?

Other things to check are cruise control cable as previously mentioned and your TPS sensor, though a bad TPS will usually manifest itself as a slight hesitation or stumble where the wiper arm has worn the track in one spot. . .

Have everything checked out before throwing a MAF sensor at it.

(BTW I typed this post on my new iPhone just for fun---it took awhile but this thing is seriously cool! The 4 yr old dinosaur Nokia had to go!)

---Chris A.
Chris - you'll be needing this image for your iPhone wallpaper then!

All ready scaled and sized for the iPhone

Looks sweet when someone calls you and the trusty Porsche crest lights up
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 AM
ST
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

Where can I get hold of a set of OBD so that I can switch that damned CEL light off?? I hollowed out my cats and have had the CEl switched off a few times but it keeps coming back. I thought the OBC learns when to ignore these things??

Any other advice form anybody else out there is welcome.

ST
Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The stuttering/hesitation was solved by replacing the plugs. Old ones were fouled. The car then smoked and wasn't boosting, turned out I was victim to the infamous "oil filter demon". Car is dry again but keeps spitting up a CEL with P1140 "air fuel metering" as the trouble code. The entire system was smoked and no leaks were found. I've ordered a new MAF, I'll replace it tomorrow, clear the code and hopefully it never returns. Thanks for the feedback.
Enrique
Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain - I'm sure if you do a search for 1140 on this site you'll get an idea of what I went through. I tried changing my MAF too and it did not fix the problem. Its like an 800 part (or you can try MAF cleaner - its basically chemical dust off) but I fear since your issues sound so similar to mine the MAF might not be the solution and it might wind up being a vacuum leak that went undetected. If your CEL comes back on after the MAF... PM me.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Will do, thanks....
Enrique
Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Ok,
cruise control cable has been adjusted, maf replaced, TPS switch replaced, three new injectors, and I'm still getting a CEL error code P1140. The system has been smoked twice now and still no leaks detected. I am bleeding out my femoral artery on this check engine light....very frustrating. Walter's Porsche had the car two weeks and they could not figure it out.
Who on these boards has successfully cured this code and what did you do? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:37 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ST
Steve,

Any other advice form anybody else out there is welcome.

ST
Take the pod out of the dash and twist the back of the light with a small screw driver -this will leave the CEL light off for good

I too have er..... modified cats and quite often get a cold idle "emissions related" CEL, got fed up with it. I just check the ECU for error codes (apart from the stupid one now telling me the CEL light is broken ) occasionally.....
Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I too have er..... modified cats and quite often get a cold idle "emissions related" CEL, got fed up with it. I just check the ECU for error codes (apart from the stupid one now telling me the CEL light is broken ) occasionally.....
i did the same thing whenever i am at my tech's shop which is basically a hang out for porsches i have him hook it up to the scanner and scan for codes the cel fault code seems to be the one that doesn't go away hmmm
Old 09-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwyranger
Ok,
cruise control cable has been adjusted, maf replaced, TPS switch replaced, three new injectors, and I'm still getting a CEL error code P1140. The system has been smoked twice now and still no leaks detected. I am bleeding out my femoral artery on this check engine light....very frustrating. Walter's Porsche had the car two weeks and they could not figure it out.
Who on these boards has successfully cured this code and what did you do? Thanks.
Man that is a bummer! I am wondering if it is a leak that only shows up under boost, like a hairline crack in a boost hose that opens up under load. Smoke machines are great, it is probably my favorite tool at my shop, but the smoke isn't injected under high enough pressure for turbo cars sometimes. Have your tech get the freeze frame data for the error code----the ECU takes a snapshot of the exact conditions that the MIL was set under: RPM, load, MPH, engine temp, MAF reading, etc. If it happens under heavy load chances are it could be some sort of leak that opens up under boost. If it happens under decel conditions (high vacuum) any leaks should probably show up w/ a smoke test . . . anyway enough speculation. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. The light comes on while cruising on the fwy under very light throttle application. 6th gear, 75-80mph, very very light throttle.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:52 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hwyranger,

Same as me... but any gear driving for a while with light throttle. Hurry and fix yours... then tell me what you did!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Car has been fixed. No more CEL. After all those parts and many labor hours, it turned out to be the aftermarket intake. My car had a K&N cone type air intake filter with an elbow. Apparently it was disrupting the airflow over the air mass sensor element. A stock intake was installed and voila! No more CEL, car passed CA smog and no more problems.....

Rufus...if you've got a Cone type air filter...that might be the problem....
Old 11-27-2007, 11:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hwy,

Nope. Rufus has a stock intake system. Dang. Well congrats on your fix. I must have a small vacuum leak on mine, since it seems to get tripped at light or no throttle. Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:34 AM
ausdan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now getting this same problem, CEL P1140 firing off randomly when at cruising speed. Has happened twice in two thousand KM. First time around my mechanic cleared it and recommend no action unless happens again. This time I checked the code with a cheap OBD-II tool. I am going to clear it myself and get the aftermarket K&N cone filter replaced with OEM one... Here is hoping for a quick fix...
Old 01-14-2024, 11:39 AM
Gdjsk
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello guys,
I am having same fault code in turbo, how can I do vacuum test
Thankyou

Quick Reply: CEL, OBD2 Code P1140?? Help?