Sponsored by:

Ok here it goes UMW stage 2 break in is over

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Ok here it goes UMW stage 2 break in is over

After leaving My Tech's shop today where we adjusted my steering wheel to point straight after replacing my steering rack on saturday, as well as raising the front ride height so i don't drag around anymore. i noticed i hit 65667 miles, and remembered my installation of UMW stage 2 happened at exactly 65367, i guess its ok to start running hard. Is 300 miles enough of a break in if its not too bad i have had numerous heat and cooling cycles and the engine was warm, roads were dry, and my new pirellis are installed in need of a good break in, (decided on pirelli vs conti) time to floor it. Expecting the usual 1 1 thousand 2 1 thousand and then boom, was i surprised to get such a quick spoolup more like 1 1 thou holy sh%t rev limiter engine is screaming begging for a shift, second grear those priellis hook up nice, then i realize i better slow down and not even on the highway yet police station to my left better slow down even more, get to the highway slow it down to 10 mph in first gear and slam it again holy sh%t hit the limiter again and again in second smile from cheek to cheek, the car doesn't hesitate just wants to go the mroe i go the more it goes and then i get scared, scary ride, cant imagine what a stage 4 996tt feels likeor gt2 for that matter, i can't imagine it being that much faster i am already nervous in my car, maybe i could give one a run for tis money? Who knows. Kevin you are the man you have restored my love affair with my TT Anyone hesitating, I recommend going for it get the stage 2 it even makes the car sound better, smoother indiscribable, the idle is music to my ears, car breathes freely through the new cats. Its almost like the car feels lighter more nimble more capable i can go on and on. I might have spent the $ to purchase the kit but the smile it puts on my face is priceless. I don't know what else to say. now with all the $ i have in my car i can never sell it not that i would but you know. Some understand and some don't i know you guys do for all of you have the same problem i do, you love your TT too much its almost an obsession, it certainly is for me.

All the best

Sebastian
Old 06-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you compare to your previous set-up? K24s as I recall.

Greg H.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:25 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My feelings for Rufus border on the unhealthy. I'll not say anymore, due to the recent restraining order.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. I can dig it!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:27 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Sebastian, I'm glad you have made it thru the break in. Enjoy your car.. Cheers..
Old 06-26-2007, 05:16 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
maybe i could give one a run for tis money? Who knows.
Do a 60-130 and we can all know
Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM
vrus
Racer

I really wish someone locally had a set of these hybrid turbos.. I am very curious about how they perform on the street..

Has anyone ever lined up a K16/24 car against a K24 car to see the differences??

My previous 993TT had a set of the FVD K24 race turbos.. I paid a pretty penny for those things but they spooled instantly.. The turbos whistled at idle.. that's how easy it was to spin them up.. I was running muffler bypass pipes w/ FVD race cats..

Are the K16/24 hybrid turbos able to make the same power as an allout K24 race setup BUT with even less spool time?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

vrus,

The FVD K24 race turbos are K24/26 hybrids and some were K24/27.

The K16/24s depending on the stages can be in fact K16/26, so it is difficult to compare the maximum top end potential unless you know what size of compressor you are using on the K16 hybrids....i.e. K24 or 26 etc..

On the K16/24, the smaller turbine will give faster spool and better off-the-line performance than the K24/24 (assuming similar setup and tune), but will also increase back pressure and heat since the smaller wheel will spin at higher revs, therefore efficiency of the turbo should drop vs. a similar K24/24 under load/high RPMs.

On the other hand you will not suffer much from this in a street car, which makes a K16 hybrid a good bet. At the track or sustained high speed driving, it is a different ballgame.

You cannot have a turbo that has the best top end and the best bottom end, you need to choose it according to your application, street, track etc...

Sorry for sidetracking sfbanchs, looking forward to hear more about it all.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I have driven Adison's car and Frank back to back. Frank has the FVD k-24s and cat bypasses too.
Adisons car seemed to come on faster and easily as strong.
Also we dynoed our cars back to back and had similar peak torque and power. His came in a few hundred rpm sooner.
The only thing that concerned me was his turbo's glowed bright orange during the dyno pulls, and Frank's did not. For purely street use, it is a winner and comes on like an NA car. I can't remember if Adison ever tracked his car or not. Frank never missed a beat at the track, and never really got hot or exhibited any stress. Of course me being such a slow wussy could have a bearing on THAT.
(Sniff, I'm gonna miss Frank when he's gone).
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
vrus
Racer

Jean : Thanks for the input and quick response.. Do you know if anyone has ever lined up 2 similar cars with these 2 setups to see what the differences are in 1/4 or 1/2 mile drag race?

--------------------------------------

Scott.. LOL.. As I was reading through your post.. I was scratching my head saying "who the heck is frank that he is talking about... "... It wasn't until the very end that I realized you were talking about your car... LOL...

Does "Frank" have the K24 race setup or the normal K24 ?? FVD has 2 versions of the K24 turbos.. They are nearly double the price..

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
I have driven Adison's car and Frank back to back. Frank has the FVD k-24s and cat bypasses too.
Adisons car seemed to come on faster and easily as strong.
Also we dynoed our cars back to back and had similar peak torque and power. His came in a few hundred rpm sooner.
The only thing that concerned me was his turbo's glowed bright orange during the dyno pulls, and Frank's did not. For purely street use, it is a winner and comes on like an NA car. I can't remember if Adison ever tracked his car or not. Frank never missed a beat at the track, and never really got hot or exhibited any stress. Of course me being such a slow wussy could have a bearing on THAT.
(Sniff, I'm gonna miss Frank when he's gone).
Old 06-26-2007, 12:09 PM
vrus
Racer

Sebastian... Very sorry to sidetrack your thread... Didnt mean to.. I've just seen alot of posts about these hybrid turbos and I've always been very curious about the real world performance..

I guess you just have to drive it to figure it out..

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
After leaving My Tech's shop today where we adjusted my steering wheel to point straight after replacing my steering rack on saturday, as well as raising the front ride height so i don't drag around anymore. i noticed i hit 65667 miles, and remembered my installation of UMW stage 2 happened at exactly 65367, i guess its ok to start running hard.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

I understand how you feel.
these are not cars, but obsessions and part of the family!
glad to hear that you are enjoying the mods.
any track plans?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vrus
Jean : Thanks for the input and quick response.. Do you know if anyone has ever lined up 2 similar cars with these 2 setups to see what the differences are in 1/4 or 1/2 mile drag race?

--------------------------------------

Scott.. LOL.. As I was reading through your post.. I was scratching my head saying "who the heck is frank that he is talking about... "... It wasn't until the very end that I realized you were talking about your car... LOL...

Does "Frank" have the K24 race setup or the normal K24 ?? FVD has 2 versions of the K24 turbos.. They are nearly double the price..
Hey Victor, long time no see! Welcome back. My old stage 2 setup w/ cat bypasses and aftermarket mufflers did the 1/4 mile around 11.8 at 119.5mph IIRC.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM
vrus
Racer

Brad!! How's it going?? Thanks for the welcome.

Hey.. Any chance I can buy back that RUF oil cooler now?? LOL....

Hmm.. So the Stage 2 hybrids did 11.8.. that's not too shabby at all. How do you like the Proto beast? You happy with the work they did?

Originally Posted by Acropora
Hey Victor, long time no see! Welcome back. My old stage 2 setup w/ cat bypasses and aftermarket mufflers did the 1/4 mile around 11.8 at 119.5mph IIRC.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doh, wish I had a spare oil cooler laying around. Like how lowered your car is. Believe it or not I'm ready for some more power. The 996 platform would be the way to go for that. Dunno how the wife would react to 'but honey, I NEED 800rwhp for the winter beater'. What you got planned for your car?

Quick Reply: Ok here it goes UMW stage 2 break in is over