Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Jussi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Tuning Biturbo windscreen

This "Rocket Science" story in number 51 "911 & Porsche World" -Magazine
is probably well know in this forum..
I'm little interested in that windscreen mod.
Does anybody know what model windscreen is that? And where to get one?
It seems from the picture that side windows are still stock ones..
I know, it requires new (single) windscreen wiper and front lid but my car will be overpainted during next winter anyway and I have time to hobby
Old 06-01-2007, 11:53 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i'd love to see a link to the part you are discussing
Old 06-02-2007, 02:59 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
i'd love to see a link to the part you are discussing
Here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/237044-rs-tuning-tuned-tt911-article.html

This car has "only" 533hp and it goes easily 350km/h!
This is just because of the car's low Cd factor. The main reason for this is 10cm more sloped windscreen.
It isn't impossible to do this windscreen mod as DIY if and only if this window model is available. So does anyone know is it custom ordered/made just for this RS tuning car or is it common glass from other model car?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:31 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

All I can tell you is it is a BIG job......

I tentatively asked about getting the modification to my car and was told that Reinhold would never do another one even if they charged an "extra" 10K Euros. I think there is a lot of metal reworking to get it to fit where the leading edge meets the wings. The finished work is to Porsche quality standards, I saw a silver one up close - nice
Old 06-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

js, you might be underestimating the amount of work involved to put a taller windscreen.

I am not sure if the roof shell needs to be changed but if it does, it is major work, BTDT. The A pillars in the front are definitely changed, I do not think the roof was lowered (ala Speedster) it might be the visual effect of the longer windscreen, therefore the side doors and rear quarters are standard size.

Despite the picture below, the height is reported as standard, perspective makes it look different in this picture..

The windshield was built by DP Motorsport and was also used in another 930 creation, also the front hood comes from DP if I am not mistaken. I am also not sure that the 911&Porsche magazine article is accurate, I believe this was a 993 body to begin with not a 964, and it is a narrowbody with shaved rain gutters as says the article.

It has the 964 4WD system in it instead of the 993TT 4WD system, and a 964 5 speed gearbox that has been customized with 1st: 3.5, 2nd: 2.11, 3rd: 1.44, 4th 1.02 and 5th: 0.75 (same as top end of 993TT).

Notice the front tires' wheelspin?

The reduction is CDxA must be substantial, probably close to RUF's Yellowbird.

All of the above combined, a 7500RPM redline, front windshield, narrowbody, gearbox, strong engine are what makes this car so unique. Imagine that with another 150HP.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Jussi
Pro

Nice to hear that I'm not only one who dreams about that mod
Thanks Jean from professional info about that topic.
I'll ask from DP Motorsport from that window. If it is not available, I'll forget this idea and if it is..
Old 06-02-2007, 07:08 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I can understand the aerodynamic advantage of the screen, am I the only person who thinks the mono wiper and lack of scuttle makes it a little ugly looking? That'e before the mirrors are considered. Maybe there's more demand for travelling @ 200mph than I realise....
Old 06-02-2007, 07:27 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ACEparts_com
Although I can understand the aerodynamic advantage of the screen, am I the only person who thinks the mono wiper and lack of scuttle makes it a little ugly looking? That'e before the mirrors are considered. Maybe there's more demand for travelling @ 200mph than I realise....
Don't think they were after aesthetics, more like form follows function. 200 mph is a big deal in Europe, like 0-60 in the US.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:15 AM
Stummel
Pro

...Maybe there's more demand for travelling @ 200mph than I realise....
Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 AM
Stummel
Pro

A bit OT: I see "a lot" extreme 964 and older 911 from RS and other tuners.

But there are just a few extreme 993 tt one reads about or even can see on the market.

Are there 993 on the market with a full "MAP Secan" engine from RS?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:54 AM
Jussi
Pro

More sloped windscreen doesn't look ugly for me and either newer 997 headlights..
That Vmax advantage @ 200mph is not only advantage, of cource it helps accelerations already from 0 kmh/mph forwards. Better Cd also makes good for transmission and powertrain because it loads car less when you accelerate. And in consequence of that, it saves fuel

OT: If Toby would have managed to get this aero windscreen mod before last vMax days, there weren't any excuses between these two cars (Leon's RUF)..
Maybe Jean can calculate how much quicker TB's car would have been with that windscreen, lets says if Cd would be 0.32 instead to 0.35
Old 06-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Ace at first glance one might certainly think what's the point...

However if you look closer, there are many benefits to it, other than top speed bragging rights..

This car will need about 70hp less to reach 200mph than a stock 993TT. This means that with a 533BHP engine they can achieve that speed with the same output of a 600HP 993TT. When you factor the lower boost needed to reach 533BHP instead of 600 and the resulting reduction in heat soak, the HP differential can be much more than the theoretical 70HP, you have a very substantial increase in acceleration by working on aerodynamics.

The other advantage is obviously longevity of the engine if the car sees frequent high speed drives, the other is mpg.. In the long run, maybe cheaper to go this route?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Stummel
A bit OT: I see "a lot" extreme 964 and older 911 from RS and other tuners.

But there are just a few extreme 993 tt one reads about or even can see on the market.

Are there 993 on the market with a full "MAP Secan" engine from RS?
Stummel
I had noticed the same thing - could it be that 993tt owners have tended to keep hold of their tuned cars knowing that there is not much out there to replace them with ?
When one visits RS or Ruf there are always a fair number of heavily modified 993tts around.
Incidentally, the car we are talking about above was for sale a few years back for about 80K Euro. The owner was claiming 700hp. I quizzed RS about this but they assured me that the car left them with 533PS and that the Behr intercooler used was not capable of supporting anymore power than this -perhaps a subsequent owner got someone else to wind the boost up ?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, what the heck is a "Scuttle"?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's the English English word for the horizontal panel that the wiper motor shafts protrude from. Can't think of the US word off hand.

Quick Reply: RS Tuning Biturbo windscreen