Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Tuning Biturbo windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Jussi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to tell that I found source for these windscreens..
I'll buy one. If somebody else is interested, we can do group buy?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

js-911, please PM contact or better yet, post it here for posterity, what is the price and the work needed if you have all the info. I doubt there will be any interest in a group buy
Thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Ace at first glance one might certainly think what's the point...

However if you look closer, there are many benefits to it, other than top speed bragging rights..

This car will need about 70hp less to reach 200mph than a stock 993TT. This means that with a 533BHP engine they can achieve that speed with the same output of a 600HP 993TT. When you factor the lower boost needed to reach 533BHP instead of 600 and the resulting reduction in heat soak, the HP differential can be much more than the theoretical 70HP, you have a very substantial increase in acceleration by working on aerodynamics.

The other advantage is obviously longevity of the engine if the car sees frequent high speed drives, the other is mpg.. In the long run, maybe cheaper to go this route?
Ha, sounds like you're trying to convince yourself as opposed to anyone else

Seriously, when it comes to chopping the roof down would it not be better to start with a different car in the first place? Anyone who wants to change the overall silhouette of the car really can't be 'that' bothered about the fact that it's a 993 or an ex race car base?
All just an observation of course
Old 06-05-2007, 04:43 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by ACEparts_com
..when it comes to chopping the roof down would it not be better to start with a different car..
Just makes things clear:
Nobody is chopping the roof for this windscreen mod. The windscreen itself is "the whole point".
It fits like originally from roof and side walls. I have to "only" make new lower(front edge) support/frame for it. The new sealing rubber/frame comes with glass.
Of cource there are also some "minor other works" like cutting the front lid and install new windscreen wipers - they don't have to be those ugly "single one wiper upwards" -model..
Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
js-911, please PM contact or better yet, post it here for posterity, what is the price and the work needed if you have all the info. I doubt there will be any interest in a group buy
Thanks
PM sent
Old 06-05-2007, 05:45 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by js-911
Just makes things clear:
Nobody is chopping the roof for this windscreen mod. The windscreen itself is "the whole point".
It fits like originally from roof and side walls. I have to "only" make new lower(front edge) support/frame for it. The new sealing rubber/frame comes with glass.
Of cource there are also some "minor other works" like cutting the front lid and install new windscreen wipers - they don't have to be those ugly "single one wiper upwards" -model..
Like I said, the only company who have done this modification (and I guess who commissioned the production of the screen ?) said they would not do another one since it was too much of a PIA......
I truly hope you do manage to fit one to a "Porsche" finish and really look forward to updates (pics please ) on this one
Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Like I said, the only company who have done this modification (and I guess who commissioned the production of the screen ?) said they would not do another one since it was too much of a PIA......
I truly hope you do manage to fit one to a "Porsche" finish and really look forward to updates (pics please ) on this one
Sorry for my ignorance but what means PIA?

This will be my winter time project, so maybe after 6-8 months I will be wiser and can say was it reasonable or too-grazy idea

I have to anyway remove all windows because the car will get new color during winter so at least I can then try and plan how difficult it is when old window is off and new window is in my hand..
Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Jussi
..This will be my winter time project, so maybe after 6-8 months I will be wiser and can say was it reasonable or too-grazy idea
So bringing this topic alive again..
Now that 6-8 months has been gone and I am wiser in that "little" mod.. did I say little? I meant a huge

Are there any 993 based car on the whole world which has that "911 special windscreen" installed?
All cars what I have seen with that mod done, have been 964 or older model..
So does anyone know?
I like to have a picture how they did it nicely.. and is my car the only 993 version now..
Old 03-13-2008, 08:47 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

So bringing this topic alive again..
Now that 6-8 months has been gone and I am wiser in that "little" mod.. did I say little? I meant a huge

Are there any 993 based car on the whole world which has that "911 special windscreen" installed?
All cars what I have seen with that mod done, have been 964 or older model..
So does anyone know?
I like to have a picture how they did it nicely.. and is my car the only 993 version now..
I think I told you before but will repeat

dp say it is "not possible" on the 993tt. I have seen a silver 993tt at RS Tuning which had the screen conversion. This 993tt has stock body with tts spoilers, stock wheels with 5mm spacers and a Secan EVO1 (MAP) high 600hp motor in the back. I didn't get any photos, sorry.....
RS said they would not consider doing another one on a 993 even for an EXTRA 10K Euro on the bill ! - so it was obviously a major PIA to get 100% to Porsche standards.....
Keep us informed

BTW PIA = pain in the *ss
Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Jussi
Pro

I think I told you before but will repeat

dp say it is "not possible" on the 993tt. I have seen a silver 993tt at RS Tuning which had the screen conversion. This 993tt has stock body with tts spoilers, stock wheels with 5mm spacers and a Secan EVO1 (MAP) high 600hp motor in the back. I didn't get any photos, sorry.....
RS said they would not consider doing another one on a 993 even for an EXTRA 10K Euro on the bill ! - so it was obviously a major PIA to get 100% to Porsche standards.....
Keep us informed

BTW PIA = pain in the *ss
I would little correct that DP's saying by saying "it is almost not possible on the 993TT"
DP has also silver windscreen modified car, there
http://www.dp-motorsport.de/22.html?&L=1&category=9
but you don't mean that one which was at RS tuning ?
Any close-shoot pictures?

So now I have learned what that PIA means literally
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would little correct that DP's saying by saying "it is almost not possible on the 993TT"
DP has also silver windscreen modified car, there
http://www.dp-motorsport.de/22.html?&L=1&category=9
but you don't mean that one which was at RS tuning ?
Any close-shoot pictures?

So now I have learned what that PIA means literally
This is what dp actuall said in their email:
As far as the sloped front windscreen conversion is concerned it does not work on the 993 basis only with the old 911 models.
Then when I told them I had SEEN a 993tt at RS with the screen they replied:
It is correct that Schmirler has used the sloped screen conversion. They have worked hard to make it fit as you said

No the RS one was a different car..... Sorry no pics, I wish I had taken some
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Jussi
Pro

This is what dp actuall said in their email:
As far as the sloped front windscreen conversion is concerned it does not work on the 993 basis only with the old 911 models.
Then when I told them I had SEEN a 993tt at RS with the screen they replied:
It is correct that Schmirler has used the sloped screen conversion. They have worked hard to make it fit as you said

No the RS one was a different car..... Sorry no pics, I wish I had taken some
I have searched windscreen modified 993's pictures from internet with dogs and cats for months but I haven't found any. So if you had possibility to get pictures of that unique 993, I would be very grateful !
My modification is now at stage 70% ready but that upper window frame fitting causes problems - so any pictures would help..

Last edited by Jussi; 03-13-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Jussi
Pro

That "little mod" is ready now !
So it can be done for 993 model as I proved,
but it isn't an easy job, with scale 1-10 it is about 15
See pic
I'll do also other modification during april and then the car will go to a painter.
You will see better pictures then.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very awesome, Jussi! I can't wait to see the completed project.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Very impressive Jussi. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pics. Are you also getting rid of the rain gutters?
I had a look at the dp prototype link and saw that it also had a flush rear screen. Are you also thinking of this (to complete the project)?

Have fun

Steve

Quick Reply: RS Tuning Biturbo windscreen