Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY on lower valve cover gasket on TT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Green993tt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY on lower valve cover gasket on TT?

I am looking for a DIY for replacing the lower valve cover gaskets on a 993TT.

Or actually I am looking for the information on how and what to remove to be able to replace them (exhaust, turbo etc.).

I was quoted 11 hours labour for replacing both gaskets, is it really that time consuming to replace them?

Regards, Peter
Old 02-12-2007, 08:39 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

It's a pain with the turbos in place. You can replace them without removing the turbos however. Either way, it ain't an NA car. If you remove the turbos, 11 hours is a reasonable time.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's hoping some guru willing to share expertise educates us with a DIY thread for lower valve cover/gasket change for 993TT, because I am eyeing these:

http://imagineauto.com/Merchant2/mer...=IAVALVECOVERS

Last edited by jimhsu; 12-30-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barney (maybe the username is Barney1?) has some pics of what was removed when he upgraded to the billet covers.

Ryojo (Basal Skull) did a nice write-up of his upgrade to Kevin's turbos, which involve a lot of the parts removal necessary to get to the lower valve covers, let me go try to find it for you. Good luck!

Edited to add link:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/393382-diy-turbo-fpr-oil-check-valve.html

Last edited by WHB Porsche; 12-30-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: I thought it wasn't Ryojo, but then I figured out that it was!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Thanks Charlie! I have searched many times, but it's your recollection of the thread that helps.

Where in NYC do you live, and what's your favorite "escape route" to get the TT out to the open road?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

I live in Downtown Brooklyn. I really haven't had the chance to get out to some twisties, but upstate NY does have some excellent roads up around Hunter mountain which are definitely worth a summer drive.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Green993TT..... There is no easy way to remove the lower valve covers. Rear bumper off, mufflers off, cats off, turbos off, and then you can remove them. This is the correct way to do them. Make sure you purchase a good set of after market covers. I got mine from Haggart Machine. This is the company that makes all the covers for resale. Take your time, you dont want to do this twice. PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you pics.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Also, while you're in there, you should consider replacing the exhaust lifters. It's an easy job. The lifters aren't cheap (Pelican has them for $45.75, Sunset for about $70 last a I checked; both are INA brand) but as Barney said, you don't want to do the job twice.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jmayzurk
Also, while you're in there, you should consider replacing the exhaust lifters. It's an easy job. The lifters aren't cheap (Pelican has them for $45.75, Sunset for about $70 last a I checked; both are INA brand) but as Barney said, you don't want to do the job twice.

Great point..... I also did the lifters and the car for one has never been more quiet and more responsive.. I had 3 lifters collapsed...
Old 12-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Here are some pics

Last edited by Barney1; 01-12-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:55 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Barney1:

thanks for the pics! Are those jackstands on the standard jacking points just front of the wheel wells?

And, I understand the turbo off, and the cat/muffler off. But the bumper cover off....sorry for my ignorance, but I am too ignorant to understand immediately why.... It must be much easier to get the turbos off with the bumper cover off?

One more question: are the turbo diverter valves in easy reach with this degree of exposure? I think I see it near the turbo. If so I can also do the billet diverter valves at the same time?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

The bumper cover comes off because it's a complete pain in the *** (if not impossible) to get everything else off without removing it.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

my mechanic replaced all my lifters upstairs and downstairs no problem without removing rear bumper cover. Just an FYI
Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
my mechanic replaced all my lifters upstairs and downstairs no problem without removing rear bumper cover. Just an FYI
You mean he removed the engine from the car?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhsu
Barney1:

thanks for the pics! Are those jackstands on the standard jacking points just front of the wheel wells?

And, I understand the turbo off, and the cat/muffler off. But the bumper cover off....sorry for my ignorance, but I am too ignorant to understand immediately why.... It must be much easier to get the turbos off with the bumper cover off?

One more question: are the turbo diverter valves in easy reach with this degree of exposure? I think I see it near the turbo. If so I can also do the billet diverter valves at the same time?
Removing the bumper cover off is really not too hard and doesn't take much time. It certainly will give you more room to work. A while back I did try to remove the cats with the bumper cover on and I couldn't do it. When I replaced my turbo's recently, I took the bumper cover off and couldn't imagine doing it with it on. (exposure is everything - just like surgery!)

The diverter valves are on top of the engine, you can't get to it from below. If you meant waste gates, on our turbos, they are part of the turbo unit.

Quick Reply: DIY on lower valve cover gasket on TT?