993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State after Jimmy again

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006 | 12:09 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Can you CA folks who got this notice confirm whether or not this was a letter requiring a smog test outside of your registration renewal, or was this included as part of licesne renewal. Please clarify.

Many Thanks !
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:18 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Jim,

Mine came as part of the renewal. I had to take Waldo to a "test-only" station because he was a reported "gross polluter". Since my initial smog was very clean, I can only attribute this change to someone reporting Waldo to the Smog folks while driving.

BTW... I got the pulley the other day... I didn't open the box; I handed it to my wife and asked to wrap i for my bday. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:18 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Part of the normal registration renewal for me.

Greg H.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:48 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys.... good news.

FWIW, my 85 year old Mother got a letter from the state stating that her 1991 Volvo had been reported as a "gross polluter in Anaheim. The state offered to buy her "junker" for $500 or provide her a $2000 rebate on qualified hybrid, new model cars. WTF ???

First off, her 1991 Volvo has never been more than 30 miles from her home here in the East SF Bay Area, so how can it have been reported in Anaheim. Second, although her Volvo is worth maybe $2500 - $3000, offering a fixed income senior $500 for their car under false threat ??? WOW !!!!

To cap this story off, I called the State and inquired on my Mom's behalf. After being told of her never being in Anaheim, I was told how these come from phone ins and someone likely got the license plate wrong. They then went on to pitch me on the advantages my Mom could get from having a hybrid and how the letter would still work for her getting the rebate..... Amazing. Knowing about "well to wheel", I have not replaced my Mom's Volvo !
Old 12-01-2006 | 01:16 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJayB
For those with the FVD/bosch ecu, the higher idle may cause the drive cycle memory to be erased and therefore fail the test. It may not throw a fault code, just not enough drive cycle to satisfy the state.
I think Andial lugged down the idle with the clutch to clear the readiness code. Once that was clear the drive cycles proceeded normally. Last time it was checked it had over 10 cycles. I'm never going to disconnect the ECU or battery again!
I wonder if CARB has a bounty like the IRS does that leads to these call ins about "gross polluters"? If I get one I'll know it was some RV I passed on Hwy 41.
Old 12-01-2006 | 02:26 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim, the wells to wheel efficiency of a gas-electric hybrid is 50% better than that of a conventional vehicle.

Greg H.
Old 12-01-2006 | 03:15 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

has anyone asked who reported them? What about the constitutional right to confront one's accuser?
Old 12-01-2006 | 03:28 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Greg:

Be careful what you state about hybrids and claimed efficiency.... Next time we hook up, I would love to debate the hybrid stats with you... Be warned, I have a deep inside contact within the hybrid program at Toyota..... ;^)

Doug:

I asked about this when I called for my Mom on her Volvo. I was told that will not divulge who the caller was, only the date and general locale of the claimed gross polluting. Convenient, huh ???
Old 12-01-2006 | 03:54 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll look forward to some real information. I thought you were going to tell me about the "dust to dust" report.

Greg H.
Old 12-01-2006 | 04:04 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Greg:

I'll make sure to bring some good scotch ! The hybrid propaganda is really sad.............

;^)
Old 12-01-2006 | 04:08 PM
Stummel
Pro

Fortunately we have not come that far with smog ***** yet. But I guess it is only a matter of time.

We have a similar situation when people accuse you of passing them on the right hand lane (which is not allowed).
A lot of people love to provoke drivers of faster cars to pass them on the right lane.
They drive really slow on the left lane and although they recognize you coming near they block the left passing lane and sometimes even slow down. It is forbidden to block the left lane if the middle or right lane is empty but no one cares...

If you tailgate and they catch you it is up to 2500 USD and you loose your license!

What do you think when California will forbid to track your car if it is not a hybrid? Burn fuel just for having fun does not seem right...
Old 12-02-2006 | 03:28 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

I feel your pain Jimmy the Gross Polluter!

Today I was at AgBar technologies, the company that the state of Massachusetts has farmed out their emissions testing to. I'm trying to get a waiver from dynamometer testing because most every shop in the state refuses to tie down the 964. Those that do want to put a hook through the key lock of the rear chassis jacking point or (my favorite) the rear axle. I tried to explain to the Department of Environmental Protection that doing so has a habit of destroying the jacking point which is usually evident the next time you try to jack the car up and the mount fails, causing the car to fall on the person underneath it. The way the dyno is setup they have to tie down onto something between the front and rear wheels so there is no way to triangulate off the front or rear tow hooks. Anyway, after showing their tech the jacking points so that they could lift the car with their 2-post lift to examine the undercarriage I left the garage area for maybe 60 seconds. When I returned the car was 6 feet in the air and resting on the swaybars! The lift arms were too wide for the jacking points and the mechanic did not want to damage the plastic body panels. So I stood several feet away from the car while the testing guy and mechanic walked underneath and pointed out to me that they could hook onto the jacking points. Tomorrow I will pull the swaybars and check for damage (bending?) and await the MASS DEP decision hopefully by the middle of next week.

Does anyone know what (if any) damage could result to an air-cooled 964/993 engine running at 30mph for 10 minutes with a house window-sized fan blowing on it and nothing else?
Old 12-02-2006 | 01:20 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The engine and oil cooler fans should keep things cool enough for 10 minutes of running at moderate rpm. What gear will they use?
Old 12-02-2006 | 01:34 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
Greg:

I'll make sure to bring some good scotch ! The hybrid propaganda is really sad.............

;^)
OT:
my prius averages 45mpg, unless the trip computer is rigged...

the ford and lexus hybrids are another story...
Old 12-02-2006 | 09:45 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife's gets 47, up from the 13 her Expedition gets around town. I'm interested in hearing what Jim has to say.

Greg H.

Quick Reply: State after Jimmy again