Sponsored by:

New Member - Leaning towards "The Dark Side"

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:15 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - Leaning towards "The Dark Side"

Although I have only just become a financial member of Rennlist, I have been an informal yet frequent visitor to the forum over the last year. So much so that I almost feel I know some of you already. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading of your experiences and of your passion. I can only marvel at the wealth of knowledge shared by the members of this forum. Congratulations to you all.

Now I seek your help. I have owned my stock 1996tt for four years having previously had a 1996 C2 for six years. I use the car as my daily drive, so in truth the car largely does city and freeway miles with all too infrequent sojourns to winding country roads and the track for Porsche club days. Nevertheless, I am considering a power upgrade ("The Dark Side") and have been interested in Kevin's Stage 1 and Stage 2 Tuning Kits. My dilemma centres largely on the daily driveability of Stage 1 versus 2, given that the car will continue to be a daily driver. The impressions one gains from your experience is that one modification lead to another and so on and for the price differential Stage 2 looks great value for money (not withstanding the value of stage 1). With stage 2, I will need the LWF/Clutch as the added power will fry the standard clutch. I have read various impressions regarding the feel and noise of thic clutch. I'm aware of the need for auxillary oil cooling with both options.

So, considering my primary application ( daily driver), what do you all think I should do? The sensible option is to do nothing! But hey! - sensible is for accountants!

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Oh! - it looks like I have some work to do on a signature.
My name is Malcolm. Cheers.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:46 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Hi Malcolm and welcome

Simple engine mods like these should not affect the daily drivability of the car. The clutch will be a little trickier to use but well within the realms of "daily driver"
To avoid the slope which can end in one taking "the other car" for a short trip to the shops it is best to do just what you have done and ask for opinions (on each proposed mod)- you will get plenty on here
Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stage 2 should not be a daily driver inconvenience. Be sure you have the suspension up to snuff before you add more power to the mix.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Malcolm,

Welcome aboard.

Be sure you ask Kevin about octane requirements to see if that matters in your decision.

We are all a bunch of power-hungry nitwits... good golly, 400 HP should be sufficient, wouldn't you think? Sigh. I guess not.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:35 PM
DTampa
Advanced

Stage 2! Later on the cost to upgrade from Stage 1 to 2 is very high compared to the diffence in initial cost. Go for the power and don't look back. Lots of big pwr TTs are street driven w/o problems.

Quick Reply: New Member - Leaning towards "The Dark Side"