Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 993tt questions and suggestions needed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002 | 10:42 AM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Post '96 993tt questions and suggestions needed...

Looking at a '96 (early build - if that matters) with 43K (2nd owner), that the right rear flare has been repainted - for $67,000.

The car has a some shake at 70 mph, dealer claims it to be tires and lack of 4 wheel balance. Will PPI be able to find out the extent of the right rear repair (and things like tracking)? The car has been sitting a lot over the past year or so, how do the turbos do without exercise? If I have the VIN, is there any other vehicle research I can do? And I hate admit it, but how does the leak down test work (which I take is part of a PPI)?

Lastly a minor thing, it has a full leather gut, but the back panal has pulled (looks like hell), how hard is that to repair?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. TIA...
Old 09-29-2002 | 12:17 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by mpm '95 C4:
<strong>The car has a some shake at 70 mph, dealer claims it to be tires and lack of 4 wheel balance..Will PPI be able to find out the extent of the right rear repair (and things like tracking)? ...</strong><hr></blockquote>
Depends on repair quality as well as PPI quality. As regards shake, dealer might well speak the truth as he has listed the two most likely causes
<strong>..The car has been sitting a lot over the past year or so, how do the turbos do without exercise? ...</strong><hr></blockquote>
Not too good but one year may be okay provided it was driven before that. Some of these cars are not driven even before being eventually decided to be sold. With 45K miles though, that may be a bit unlikely. Carfax sometimes records mileage history over the years.
<strong>..If I have the VIN, is there any other vehicle research I can do? ...</strong><hr></blockquote>
NO guarantees anywhere is my opinion but carfax.com is a start. You can get option information by calling Porsche directly even before you commit to purchase of vehicle. After acquiring title, you can get more information in the form of a "Certificate of Authenticity" from Porsche.
<strong>..And I hate admit it, but how does the leak down test work (which I take is part of a PPI)?...</strong><hr></blockquote>
Compression test first is probably a better idea from what I know and hear. As regards leakdown test, air is pumped under pressure into cylinders and leakage rate is measured. If leakage rate is low (per spec), then probably fine. Leakdown tests might help in determining where the leak is (rings, some gasket, valves, etc.). 45K is not that high for these tests to be absolutely necessary but thats just my opinion. In the absence of the records for last two or three years, I might insist on these tests but otherwise, the service records, dialogue with owner and test drive should tell you a lot more about the overall package. No idea if these tests are a part of a PPI. In fact, I am not sure if PPI is "defined" in any way though websites exist with lists of what PPIs should cover.
<strong>..Lastly a minor thing, it has a full leather gut, but the back panal has pulled (looks like hell), how hard is that to repair?...</strong><hr></blockquote>
Leather repair should be expensive unless you do a DIY. Just a guess though.
<strong>Looking at a '96 with 45K (2nd owner), that the right rear flare has been repainted - for $67,000...Any other suggestions would be welcomed. TIA...</strong><hr></blockquote>
Assuming that it is reasonably good mechanically, price seems okay considering 1) leather issue and 2) fact that it is sitting in the lot meaning that dealer is motivated. Just my opinion.
Be sure to check if first gear is okay as some abused cars have gear warpage. If abused, budget another $2/3K or so.
Are you sure you want a turbo? Have fun and good luck.
Old 09-29-2002 | 12:34 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Thanks Ran, great info!

I'm originally from the PHL area (Lansdale), where my brother has a high end body shop. Part of my dilemma is that my '95 runs so strong why spend $37 to upgrade (except the obvious)...
Old 09-29-2002 | 04:38 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

The difference between a '95 993 and a TT is night and day... and well worth the upgrade. You get more power, better brakes, close ratio transmission, better suspension... on and on.

However, that TT you are looking at seems like it has been abused. Why has it been sitting on the lot for a year? I'm sure many others have looked at it and walked away. Since there are a lot of TTs for sale, I would also look at others. Why has the back panel been removed? I would offer no more than 55-60K for that car.

The first thing I would do is to ask the dealer to balance the tires to make sure it isn't something more severe. Then I would find a very good Porsche mechanic that really understands Turbos and have him go through it with a fine-tooth comb.

I created a write up to what to look for at <a href="http://www.993tt.com" target="_blank">www.993tt.com</a> under the "Buying a TT" section.

Good Luck!

Rick
Old 09-29-2002 | 09:16 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Matt,

I would ask the dealer to make the car perfect (tires/balance & leather repair), then drive it and decide. If they won't do it, personally I would continue searching. Like Rick said, there are a lot of turbos for sale. My gut feeling is that you can do better, but it seems that you have been looking for a while. Is this the best deal you have found? If you find the right car, you're in for a treat. You won't believe how exciting the 993tt is to drive and own.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 09-29-2002 | 11:43 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

John,

I think I can get this for $60. My gut is the car has not been driven hard (blessing and a curse), and looks fairly well maintained (but not like yours ).

I'm going to call my mechanic on Monday and get his opinion. But you guys are right the season is only now beginning.

Hope all is well...

Quick Reply: '96 993tt questions and suggestions needed...