Turbo Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 11:24 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Turbo Failure

I've started looking for a 993tt and have run across a couple of cars with under 30K miles that have had one or both turbos replaced. Reasons for replacement ranged from a leaking turbo to a squeaking turbo.

Seems to me that having a turbo replaced so early would indicate either abuse or lack of service by the previous owner. Asusming that is fair statement, what else should I be looking at to determine if such a car is worth taking a risk on? If I do pursue one of these cars, I'd like to know what additional items to emphasize during a PPI.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would disagree that a replaced turbo means anything. Many of the TT's with turbos replaced could have easily been misdiagnosed, leading to an unecessary turbo replacement.

This has happened to at least 4 owners that are here on rennlist.

I would take the fact that the turbo was replaced with a grain of salt. Look for other signs of use/abuse, but don't use this single fact alone.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2002, 05:15 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
KM;

I have seen and rebuilt many sets of turbochargers for our cars. I will not completely agree with Jeff. There are some issues with the K16's, and very inexpensively fixed. The single most cause of failure is Hot shutdowns. Like, how long do you let you car idle down at the gas station before shutting off the car to fill up. Don't let the issue of turbochargers failures stop you from buying one.

Quick Reply: Turbo Failure