Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jean, is this what you got?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope not ! I drove a RUF with that system and it was awful !!!

Geoff
Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Jean has a sequential TRANSMISSION, not that mickey mouse thing on E-bay,

I have driven Ruf's with "EKS" (I think that is what it is called) and I did not like it.

Marty K
Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Jaime,
The one in the picture is the RUF EKS system which was the first thing that crossed my mind. This is basically just a shifter change that talks to the ECU as well.

Mine is a new gearbox and shifter assembly, it is a Holinger/ Ricardo (UK) built dogbox with straight cut gears and a sequential shifter.

I would talk to LAT who had an EKS and knows well about them. It could be interesting, some people like it.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:18 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a lot more bits than what's in the pic!
Old 11-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Ima2nr
Instructor

Jean,

do you drive your car on the street? or is it track only? I've hears of a dogbox before... but I don't know the advantages/ disadvantages...

can you tell us what they are?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"Dogs" refer to how the gears engage with one another. Rather than using cones which engage gradually and bring gears up to the same speed as one another prior to engagement (via the synchros) dogs are "teeth" on the side of the gears that engage very abruptly in a binary fashion. There's no way to shift a dog box with finesse; you just have shift it quickly otherwise you do more harm than good because you can wear the dogs down. For me, the first time I drove a dogbox made me wince with every shift as it felt so mechically unsympathetic. Quicker shifts are the very advantage of a dog box; gear engagement is quicker. Most bikes have dog boxes as do the more "committed" race cars. If you shift a synchro box quickly you can actually crack the cones so an upgrade is to go to steel synchro rings which can take more abuse but engage less smoothly.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know about Jeans setup.

But in general, you need some sort of ECU gearbox connection to cut/blip throttle when changing gears. It's possible to drive on street since a clutch is still needed for the start. However the dogbox usually make a lot of noise because of the teeth.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by Jean
Jaime,
The one in the picture is the RUF EKS system which was the first thing that crossed my mind. This is basically just a shifter change that talks to the ECU as well.

Mine is a new gearbox and shifter assembly, it is a Holinger/ Ricardo (UK) built dogbox with straight cut gears and a sequential shifter.

I would talk to LAT who had an EKS and knows well about them. It could be interesting, some people like it.

The campus where I studied was door to door with Ricardo Special Vehicles (the things I saw going in and out of those doors...) at the time (2002) I saw them developing a gearbox for the Ultima that was based on Porsche fitment...
Old 11-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes the gearbox is very loud and rough. I drive my car on the street but since I installed this monster I am driving less and less. I can make it better by adding insulation in the right places which I have not done. In general I don't mind my car being rough and loud, but I must say that I might have overdone it here It might either go back to stock gearbox or otherwise become a full fledge track car.
As Felix said, the gear changes are much better when you shift fast and at high revs. Moving from neutral to 1st gear as painful to the mind as removing a tooth without anesthesia! A video would be a good idea.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:06 PM
red993tt
Racer

Moving from neutral to 1st gear as painful to the mind as removing a tooth without anesthesia!
Oooh ouch
Old 11-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by red993tt
Oooh ouch
Some are masochistic and go like this
Old 11-22-2006, 02:12 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,060 Likes on 579 Posts

video! video! video!
haha jean don't tease us-
Old 11-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kiko
The campus where I studied was door to door with Ricardo Special Vehicles (the things I saw going in and out of those doors...) at the time (2002) I saw them developing a gearbox for the Ultima that was based on Porsche fitment...
You must have seen a Veyron or two and a few F1 teams there too?

Ichiban I don't have a video with this gearbox in the car, but I will post one some day.

Rassel is right, they need a cutoff switch or you will need to lift your foot briefly from the throttle while shifting (albeit no clutch).

Back on topic, I would certainly talk to someone who has used it daily before buying one, I was seriously considering it, however maybe as Geoff mentioned, they are not that good? I heard of a couple being removed from CTRs lately.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rassel is right, they need a cutoff switch or you will need to lift your foot briefly from the throttle while shifting (albeit no clutch).
How do you do race starts without it?!

Quick Reply: Jean, is this what you got?