Sponsored by:

993 TT Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Phil in Austin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 TT Newbie

Any pointers from the grizzled veterans who have owned 993 TT's regarding maintenance and care? I just purchased a 1997 993 TT and now don't want to screw the car up by my own ignorance. I am particularly interested in warm up and cool down periods and oil change intervals and any other tips. Thanks to all.

PS. I currently own a 2000 996.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:50 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Not a grizzly person and certainly NOT a veteran but until the veterans chime in...

Here is what I do (does not necessarily mean that I am right but the turbo seems to work well for me

1) let turbos cool down by idling for 2 minutes before switching off.
2) I keep rpm below 4K for first 5 mins of drive or until oil temp at 8 o clock position whichever comes later.
3) check oil with engine idling after a long drive and fill to mid level of dipstick as needed (usually 3 o clock position on my oil level gauge). Also, oil is checked about as often as 94 octane fuel fill up though I check at home in level garage floor after long run with engine idling. 94 octane is my minimum btw.
4) Oil change every six months for me though higher than normal mileage would mean more frequent oil changes. BTW, Oil changes involve TWO filter changes (diff. part numbers for the two filters).
5) Read manual fully and remember vital things like nut torque numbers, tyre pressure and other basics so you can make sure things are done right even if you dont do it yourself. Particularly important is to note towing guidelines in the manual as you have AWD. On this note, please ensure that car is not messed up at emissions testing since several places think that ONLY SUVs are AWD. Many emissions test dynos are not okay for AWD cars.
6) carry a DME relay since it is supposed to fail based on posts here (look up archives "DME relay" and you will find info.). I have no clue about this issue but carry one since it is quite small and seems to be verified as an issue by quite a few here.
7) carry spare battery for remote so you dont get stranded. Again, do a search for more info.
8) Personally I let engine warm up for about 30 seconds in summer and 1 minute atleast in winter. Not sure if this is recommended at all.
9) I dont do drag launches though I do floor pedal
10) I think it is wise NOT to let the door swing too much when open given what I have read about a certain slight weakness in door connection to body. My doors seem fine in all respects though.
11) I dont really worry or bother to hear the windshield squeak but if it is too bothersome for you, do a search in the 993 forum which has more info about these kind of things.
12)If you end up wanting even more power be sure to talk to several people before you take the plunge - too many "know it alls" in this business IMO.
13) I tend to HAVE FUN

There... 13 lucky things I do for my 993 to invite the worst possible luck.

Cheers, congrats and all the best in your resumption of spirited driving Just kidding...btw, you must know quite a bit about these cars from the 996 already so sorry if some of this seems repetitive. HOpe this helps you get started.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:06 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations! I think that Ran pretty much covered it all.

Some other things that I would recommend are:

1) Alternator pulley update : Not critical, just have it changed the next service interval

2) Make sure to have the trans fluid changed if it has been 3 years since last changing.

3) Make sure that you have the 12 point alternator key in your toolkit. More Info Here

4) If you do get the windshield creak, try getting a strut tower brace.

5) If you need front plugs to hide the license plate mouting holes, go to http://www.bumperplugs.com

I think that's it for now!

Jeff
Old 01-14-2002, 07:07 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Phil in Austin:
<STRONG>PS. I currently own a 2000 996.</STRONG>
It would be great to hear how these two cars compare. Let us know when you get a chance.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2002, 09:42 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Hi,

Is your TT speed yellow by any chance?
Old 01-14-2002, 10:15 PM
Phil in Austin
2nd Gear

Thanks to all for the pointers. My 993 TT is arctic silver. I'll try to drive both back to back and post impressions for what its worth, although I imagine most here have driven both cars. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 05:27 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Phil:

If you follow the guidelines that Ran and Jeff posted on taking care of and operating your TT, you & your car will live a long and happy life.

These things are quite durable and trouble free if treated correctly.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: 993 TT Newbie