Sponsored by:

stiff steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 01:31 PM
davidj
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy stiff steering

Hi everyone, firts let me intoduce myself, I live in Monterrey, Mexico and I used to own a 2001 996 carrera until I dorve a 993 turbo, It just wasn't fun anymore. I had to buy the turbo. After a desperate week I finnaly bought a dark blue, tan interior 96 turbo with 14000KM on it. And I am SO PLEASED I CANT SEEM TO STOP LOOKING AT IT. Now the owner of the car had a HUge allignment problem the right front wheels had a huge amout of Toe-in compared to the left, I went to an alkligmnet shop and supervised how they ONLY realligned the left wheel, and now I don't remember if the car did it before or not, but the steering is really stiff when turning it to the right when standing still, only if you turn the wheel the complete 3 turns. What can it be? I'm affraid it might be something mayor The other thing I notice is that when the car is turned off the clutch is hard, is this normal? You see thay are maybe 3 993 turbos here in Monterry and maybe a couple more in Mexico, they were expensive (+$200,000) when new. I can't compare, I need your help.

Thanks in Advance,
David Jimenez
Old 01-15-2002, 01:50 PM
mags993tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by davidj:
<STRONG>The other thing I notice is that when the car is turned off the clutch is hard, is this normal? You see thay are maybe 3 993 turbos here in Monterry and maybe a couple more in Mexico, they were expensive (+$200,000) when new. I can't compare, I need your help.

Thanks in Advance,
David Jimenez</STRONG>
Hi David,

Congratulations on your new car - I have the same problem - can't stop staring at it....

Don't know enough about the alignment to comment except to say I don't experience the stiffness though it does sound like an alignment problem. The stiff clutch while the car is off is totally normal as it has a hydraulic clutch (power assisted) which only works while the engine is on. If you switch the car off then press the clutch repeatedly then you will feel it stiffen as the pressure bleeds out (same as power assisted brakes).

M

Quick Reply: stiff steering