Sponsored by:

Normal driving temp? Need Oil cooler fan switcho

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002 | 06:45 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Normal driving temp? Need Oil cooler fan switcho

Over in the 993 forum, yet another (helpful) thread is developing on the benefits of cooling down the turbos before shutting down the engine. This has me wondering about two things:

My temp (here in So. Ca.) seems to level out at around the 9 o'clock position, just past the second marking. This is without running the car hard and is a fair bit higher than my old '96 933. Does this seem normal?

Some of you have had a manual switch installed to turn on the oil cooler fan. I understand that it is VERY effective. Is this a general consensus and a recommended install?

Thanks much!

Bill
Old 07-23-2002 | 07:38 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

I run right about the 9 o'clock position during normal driving. Although it depends largely on the ambient temperature. If I am driving in the early morning or very late evening, my oil temps are about 8:30. In traffic, it has gotten up to the upper tick ( 10 o'clock ) position before.

If you do a lot of driving in traffic, I'd install the switch. However, if you actually moving, the switch won't do anything. At that point, you should install an aux oil cooler. Either the turbo S one or the cargraphics one.

One nice thing about the car graphics cooler is that it sits near the ac condenser fan. So when you turn on your AC, you'll be cooling your oil too!

And so you ask, why didn't I just install the cargraphics oil cooler? here are some prices:

Turbo S Aux Oil Cooler - $650
Cargraphics Oil Cooler - $1250
Oil cooler fan switch - $5

I'll probably install the turbo S oil cooler in the future. However, I needed a quick solution before I went to thunderhill a few weeks ago. It worked beautifully. I did a quick write up of my thoughts back then: <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004229&p=" target="_blank">Effectiveness of the oil cooler fan switch</a>

Jeff
Old 07-24-2002 | 01:14 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill:

Your temp on the Turbo sounds a bit high, at least based upon my experience with my former 993tt. I did have the TurboS cooler on that car which may have made a difference. I'd check the operation of you oil cooler fan, especially low speed.
Old 07-24-2002 | 09:48 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Bill P.:
<strong>..My temp (here in So. Ca.) seems to level out at around the 9 o'clock position, just past the second marking. This is without running the car hard and is a fair bit higher than my old '96 933. Does this seem normal?..</strong><hr></blockquote>
Bill, I defer to Jack's knowledge and experience especially since he lives in your area and knows the actual driving and climate but 9 o clock is not that high IF and only IF you are talking about stop and go traffic on a very hot day. I take the "long way" with no traffic on hot days with high humidity and it stays at the 8 o clock position even on the 90 plus days. So I rarely see 9 o clock at all except on the few very very hot days in July and only when driving slowly/traffic situations. In Autumn, Spring and Winter I never see over 8 o clock but I live in the east coast. Our summers can be very bad tho. If you are moving at 30/40 mph for 20 mins at a time, then I dont see much reason to be at 9 o clock even on the hottest days except when at a stop light for some time. Hope this helps.
[quote]Originally posted by Jeff 993TT:
<strong>I run right about the 9 o'clock position during normal driving. Although it depends largely on the ambient temperature. If I am driving in the early morning or very late evening, my oil temps are about 8:30. In traffic, it has gotten up to the upper tick ( 10 o'clock ) position before. ....//...Jeff</strong><hr></blockquote>
Jeff, 9 o clock consistently during normal street driving seems high to me since from what you write you see 8 o clock only in the morning. I have never seen 10 o clock position in our often crowded streets (live in NJ near metro area of Philly with the usual Garden State traffic) - of course I also take an exit and have a fun run at the slightest hint of traffic (Carpe diem ).

My driving is usually at 3.5K/4.25K rpm steady state; so it is not that gentle as such; I never see 6th gear much at all and street driving is often in 4th gear with a bit of 3 and 5 too. Car is stock turbo.
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:22 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Ran:
<strong>Bill, I defer to Jack's knowledge and experience especially since he lives in your area and knows the actual driving and climate but 9 o clock is not that high IF and only IF you are talking about stop and go traffic on a very hot day.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with Ran. You should take your car on the freeway and drive non-stop for a while. If your oil temperature is at 9 o'clock or higher, you need to check some of the cooling components. If your temperature stays at 8 or lower, you have nothing to worry about. If you are still concerned, you may want to add the Turbo S oil cooler which will help mostly in flowing traffic.
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:32 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, your replies are most helpful and encouraging.

I feel no air being pushed through the right hand air vent under the front fender when the temp is at 9 o’clock, so my low speed fan/resistor may need looking at.

I’m also going to look into the Turbo S set-up, as I don’t want to have to worry or stop when I hit that eventual traffic jamb on a hot day.

Best,

Bill
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:52 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I have to work very hard to get my car to 9:00 to check the oil. I also live in SOCAL and have to sit and idle for what seems like ever to get up there. I do have an "S" oil cooler. Normal driving mine hovers around the first tick mark.
Old 07-24-2002 | 03:46 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Silver Bullet's post has me thinking. Do cars that run cooler due to the auxilliary cooling systems installed by owners need the same absolute amount of oil or not?

My personal thought of the moment is that they need the same amount of oil by volume which means that in absolute terms the amount of oil by weight required for cars with aux. cooling differs from those without. Lubrication function requires a certain amount of oil by volume, right (or is cooling the only important function that we need to think about since perhaps lubrication is well taken care of at much lower levels too)? Or am I missing something. Of course in both cases allowance has to be made for higher temps at the track, etc. If the above makes some sense, then, ScottMellor, for example, could use a bit more oil instead of waiting for temps that he/she does not end up seeing normally in street driving (assuming, perhaps erroneously, that allowance for track heat is same extra volume increase for both types of cars). Thanks for any comment. Just curious.
Old 07-24-2002 | 06:01 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Ran: My oil level has never been down more than about 3/4 of a quart when I checked it at a temperature reading of 9:00.
I was told to get the car up to 9:00 before checking the oil level on the dipstick.
Now, since I do have an "S" oil cooler, I would assume that my total oil volume would be greater than a car without one due to the volume of oil in the cooler and the associated plumbing.
The previous owner mentions that he got the temperature gauge right on up there once, but he was at Buttonwillow in 104 degree heat......
Old 07-24-2002 | 06:51 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Bill - I have the Turbo S cooler on my TT (along with some other mods and have about the same temperature readings as Kim in his N/A car (keep in mind that both Kim and I live by the water, so it is a bit cooler). When I was at Willow Springs last week, a good track for building turbo heat, the car rarely saw above 9 O'clock on the track in 105 degree heat. During regular driving around town, the car usually stays at the first notch (8 o'clock?). Keep in mind the aux oil coolers only work whne the car is moving. Sitting still in traffic they will add little or no cooling. Jeff is correct that having the A/C will help an aux cooler a bit (even the Turbo S cooler will get air flow from the A/C). I would guess that any turbo, sitting still and idling, will go above 9 o'clock if it sits long enough, no matter how many oil coolers it has.

My suggestion to you would be to get a Turbo S cooler and install it (I did my install myself - it is a full day job). I was reading my 993 manual the other day, and Porsche states that the single most detrimental factor to the life of the engine is heat - makes you wonder why the aux oil cooler isn't standard on the TTs.

An even better suggestion get the 450 HP factory powerkit, which includes the Turbo S cooler. You will be cooler, faster, and last longer (and everyone will like you) -
Old 07-24-2002 | 10:01 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

More great info. Thanks much. Since these coolers are no good in taffic my first order of the day is to check the low speed resister and look into the switch (manual).

Bill: I see you, like me, have no problem justifing what needs to be done. I like your idea about getting the 450hp kit sinse I need the oil cooler anyhoo. What is the aprox cost to the kit??

Thanks and excuse the thread drift. After all, I AM looking for a COOLER car. G,D&R...

Bill
Old 07-24-2002 | 10:09 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill, scratch that last question. The answer is conveniently over on the Modivicationville thread as posted by Jeff.

Bill
Old 07-25-2002 | 03:02 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Option number 4, and perhaps the best choice, is to call Weissach in Vancouver and order a RUF Turbo R kit. There are a few Turbo R owners in SoCal that I have seen post here, so maybe you can get a test drive. A friend of mine in the Bay Area who also owns a 993TT (and is a lurker on this board) has been thinking about the Turbo R kit. Maybe you can go in together and save some money on the airfare and lodging for the techs.
Old 07-25-2002 | 03:13 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill, I can justify new goddies six ways to Sunday and don't need YOU to help do that. However, next time I head for the toy department, I'll know who to call!

Have a great day!

Bill

Quick Reply: Normal driving temp? Need Oil cooler fan switcho