Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reader Poll on Black 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002 | 10:53 PM
Bond
Intermediate

Question Reader Poll on Black 993TT

I have found a perfect 993TT but alas, its BLACK. I have been looking for polar silver, arctic silver, arena red, even the dark green in that order before considering the dreaded black.

My question is whether the black color is a positive, neutral or negative when considering resale - since it seems that 60% of the 993tt's are black, the majority of the new purchasers preferred the color - what does the forum think? - please comment!!

Bond
Old 07-13-2002 | 11:46 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Black and Silver are typically the BEST for resale in the NY area. However, black is the hardest color to take care of and keep clean as was already said. I went with Arena Red myself. It is not the usual color you see out there and it looks great when all polished up, but around here it would be easier to sell a black or silver one if I decided to move it.

Adam
Old 07-14-2002 | 12:48 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bond,

Black should be a fine color with respect to resale potential. Typically, straightforward "classic" colors such as silver and black move very well. I wouldn't hesitate to get it if you like the color and don't mind the upkeep.
Old 07-14-2002 | 12:55 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bond, what everyone else has said.

However as a somewhat decenting view, I just purchased a silver TT which I plan to use as a daily driver. I enjoy a sharp looking car that reflects some pride of ownership. As a daily driver I simply cannot keep a black car the way I would like to (I do my own detailing and have owned a black car before).

Soooooo I simply payed no attention to the black TTs for sale when I was shopping. This was a little frustrating as fully half of the TTs seemed to be black! Still, there are lots of fine examples out there and you want a car you will enjoy having.

Good luck in your decision making and remember....half of the fun is in the looking!

Bill
Old 07-14-2002 | 01:49 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

my car is black, I have no problem keeping it clean!...(every other day it goes to my detail dept) hehhehee
Old 07-14-2002 | 02:38 AM
Bond
Intermediate

Hi Phil - noticed that you are in Santa Ynez. Who could do a pre-purchase inspection out there? There is Cutter Motors what's your option of them as far as turbo knowledge?, anyone elso better in the vicinity.

Bond
Old 07-14-2002 | 03:46 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got a blk TT. It's real easy to keep clean, keep it covered and don't drive it. As with any blk car, it's a bitch to keep clean and dust free all the time. However, when you shine it up, it's really beautiful. If you buy it, consider using Zaino products, they seem to attract less dust than others and really make blk cars shine. As for resale, I think it's a positive in general. It seems silver and black are the most popular colors.

Eric
Old 07-14-2002 | 01:15 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Bond:
<strong>Hi Phil - noticed that you are in Santa Ynez. Who could do a pre-purchase inspection out there? There is Cutter Motors what's your option of them as far as turbo knowledge?, anyone elso better in the vicinity.

Bond</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would take the car to Mike Schatz at Rusnak / Thousand Oaks. He REALLY KNOWS turbos.
Old 07-14-2002 | 01:50 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bond,

You might find this <a href="http://m3forum.com/m3forumcgi/WWCcontests/subs3.pl?action=ShowTotals&filename=spec&id=E36&type=&language=" target="_blank">E46 M3 Owner Color Survey</a> interesting. Of course, it does not cover 993s, but it does give you an idea of the popularity of black and silver on German "sports" cars. Sixty five percent of the cars are some shade of silver or black.
Old 07-14-2002 | 07:03 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Bond,
you have a PM......and I concur with Mark
Old 07-15-2002 | 04:36 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

My last three Porsches have been black. I specifically went looking for a black or midnight blue 993TT and was prepared to pay fair value for it. I certainly never thought that such a car wouldn't hold it's fair value just because of the black color. I've never read any official statistics about the percentage of 993's or 993TT's that are black, but I doubt it's as high 60%. It's probably pretty balanced across the line with Arena Red, Silver, and Black (with a smattering of blues, yellows, and special order colors).

They certainly require extra effort to keep clean. Despite what you read and hear, there are no magic products for keeping black cars looking good, just lots of committment and effort. However, I feel that few cars can rival the presence of a clean, well-polished black Porsche.
Old 07-16-2002 | 01:40 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

I was faced with a similar problem in 96 as well. Couldn't find a twin turbo of any color without a year wait or paying a premium. When my dealer called and said they had a car that was ordered and the buyer backed out. It was BLACK/Black. Did I want it. The choice was buy it or wait a year for a Speed Yellow.

It was not my first choice, but I'm glad I did.

Having a 993tt of any color vs. not having a 993tt. Thats easy. Don't buy the car for the next owner, buy it for you.
Old 07-17-2002 | 02:05 PM
WillBank
Instructor

Talking

Bond,

I never thought I wanted black until I drove mine and realised that it was an excellent colour for the body shape.

That and the fact that 'Millennium silver' is so last century and black is right here, right now

You'll love it.

W
Old 07-17-2002 | 02:27 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Bond: Here's my two-cents, for whatever they are worth in todays market: I own two black/black turbos ('89 and '97). They are NOT daily drivers ('89 is actually for sale (3.4 liter Ruf BTR kit w/ 37.1K miles) as I purchased the '97 in November).

I wash them about once a month (or as needed) with lots of water and mild soap. I use a chamois to dry the car. Any streaks are removed using Meguiar's Qwik Detailer with a no-lint cotton cloth.

Between washes I use a cloth duster (since the car does not get dirty otherwise). As needed, I use more Meguiar's Qwik Detailer - the cars look great.

If I wanted a daily driver, black WOULD be tough, but as weekend vehicles, black is awesome!!

Dan
Old 07-19-2002 | 09:10 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Not a TT but my 993 4s is black and is enjoying a lot of use...the front clip is not though. A lot of stone chips cover the the bumper and hood. I have heard of a black based 3m wax but don't know much about how well it works...any experience(s)with this or other related product?

Quick Reply: Reader Poll on Black 993TT