Sponsored by:

'96 Arena Red 993 Turbo Available

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 11:09 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you guys could send out an opinion here, I would appreciate it. The car that Jeff has the link to above has a few modifications(the nose, racing pedals, Euro ride height).Do these things add or take away from a stock car? Do they alter the value?They insist that $85k will not do the deal.How do you put it all together?
Old 12-20-2001, 11:30 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Steve,

You should also consider this car:
1997 Fly Yellow Turbo For Sale

It is very special and extremely well cared for.

Old 12-21-2001, 01:31 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by privates8:
<STRONG>If you guys could send out an opinion here, I would appreciate it. The car that Jeff has the link to above has a few modifications(the nose, racing pedals, Euro ride height).Do these things add or take away from a stock car? Do they alter the value?They insist that $85k will not do the deal.How do you put it all together?</STRONG>
Those things are great, if you were planning to do the modifications yourself anyways. However, they should know that, and you should know that, any money that you put in as modifications will probably not add to the resale value 1 to 1.

For example, suppose that they got the new nose for $1000 and paid another $1000 for painting and installation, that's $2000 that they spent to customize it their way, _not_ you way. It is entirely unreasonable to expect the new nose to add $2000 to the resale value.

The suspension is nice to have, but they were probably the M030 ROW suspension. Maybe that doesn't suit you very well and you'd rather go with the Bilstein pss9 setup. In that case, you'd be paying for the ROW suspension, and then again for the cost of the new suspension.

The pedals only cost $200 to upgrade, but again, perhaps you would want a different set to allow for easier heel/toe.

Also, what other standard options does it have? Sport seats, DSP, leather speaker rings, oval exhaust tips, alumuminum package, carbon fiber package, etc?

My car had most of those ( except alum or carbon ) and 10K miles and cost me 95K. That was a year ago. Entire fortunes have been lost over the last year, and I think that only a 15% decrease in value is already being generous to the dealer.

Personally, I would stay firm with the 85K offer or go look someplace else. I haven't talked to Motorcars Int'l but they don't sound very cooperative and serious about selling. It might cause you more trouble in the future.

just my $0.02.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2001, 05:00 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

I absolutely hate doing because I hope to buy a 993TT some time in the future and don't want all of our nice cars going to the USA, but up here in B.C. Canada, we have stunning examples of the 993TT for very low prices. In B.C., we don't have a real highway system so everything is very close by. Our suburbs off our main city of Vancouver are within 20-30mins of each other, not like the 2-4hrs as in other provinces.

THe cars therefore remain very low in mileage as everything is so close. If a car passes 100,000km, it's considered super old and the price decreases dramatically, that's only 63k mi to you guys, but to us, we won't buy it.

There are two cars available right now that I know of:

Arena red/Tan C$120k, US$75k. It has 50k km or get this 31k mi!

Slate gray/Tan C$135k, US$84k. It has 25k km or an amazingly low 16k mi. Imagine what this car would cost in the USA?!

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention it, but please don't come up here and buy all of our cars, we have so few nice cars left. The local Mercedes dealer just sold all of their new SL model cars to a USA dealer, all 12 damn cars! They apparently made $10k per car for doing nothing but paperwork. Everyone has to wait another six months for their SL now.

fc-racer
Old 12-21-2001, 11:46 AM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your continued input, everyone.

Viken, I am sure that the yellow turbo is a special one, but I am not a yellow car kind of guy. My wife and kids thought that my RED 98 M3 was too loud a statement for me!I will say though that the more I looked at the photos on the website, that I do think it is a beautifully done car and I really like the Euro front end .Obviously a lot was spent on all the features of this car and he is asking $95k for a reason.
Jeff, Thanks for your take on the modifications. I have asked for all of the details and will stand firm(they have come down from 99.5-89.5k so far). Your perspective makes it clear that that is the right thing to do.
f-c, I just put a request in with Jordie Harris over at Three Point to see if he had anything around. I have dealt with him before.
Thanks again for all the help
Old 12-21-2001, 02:09 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

The special paint to sample Yellow turbo is truly a beautiful and well priced example. Would love to find an east coast buyer for it so I can see it first hand. I briefly considered a yellow normally aspirated car but actually the owner of this yellow turbo convinced me to consider A turbo given my inclination (his was unfortunately not on sale at that time). I think yellow is even more well suited to a turbo. Of course I ended up with silver but not because I chased it - seems like a lot of people are looking for silver turbos - I just walked right into a Polar Silver one. Arena Red too is a wonderfully rich looking colour. And its popularity is enhanced since it was the colour on the turbo that Porsche advertised when the 993TT first came out. About the only colour that I might not go for is the Green but it may just be my loss due to my inability to see past the current popular trends. I used to love the racing green spirit though!!
Old 12-22-2001, 12:08 AM
993tt
Racer

I bought my 993tt in Germany for $65k. It had 37k on the speedo and is fully equiped.

Me in my 993tt where it belongs - on the track
Old 12-22-2001, 12:57 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Viken and Ran:

Thanks for the kind words about my "yellow" car. I'm going to really miss it and hope to find a good home for my baby.

Rennlist members interested in purchasing the Ferrari Gelb 993TT will receive a special Rennlist discount.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:56 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jack:
<STRONG> ...Rennlist members interested in purchasing the Ferrari Gelb 993TT will receive a special Rennlist discount. </STRONG>
Was a good deal from the start. Just so much better with a discount And for those who like those wheels, it is probably an even more excellent bargain.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:04 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 993tt:
<STRONG>I bought my 993tt in Germany for $65k. It had 37k on the speedo and is fully equiped.

Me in my 993tt where it belongs - on the track </STRONG>
I agree with you fully about a proper track "home".

I am very jealous of you Europeans. I paid significantly more for my 993TT (over $100K, though it was at the height of the stock market boom in 2000). I get subscriptions to numerous European rags (Autocar, Evo, etc), and just drool over the low-priced Porsches and Ferraris that you have access to in Europe. Great prices!

Not to mention, wonderful cars like a TVR Tuscan that we can't even import.

Quick Reply: '96 Arena Red 993 Turbo Available